World Cruise Options

lizanedi

I am new to cruising and have just had a very enjoyable trip 'Around Australia' on Diamond Princess, while on board I booked a World Cruise for May,2016 because of the great itinerary. (Machu Pucchu is on my bucket list, and would love to see Norway, Sweden and St.Petersburg). Have downgraded from Mini Suite to Ocean view because of cost for 104 days and am a bit concerned with reports that SUN Princess is getting old and tired etc. I would appreciate any comments, or other options and suggestions that anyone may have. Thankyou.

We were on the Sun Princess last year and didn't feel she looked tired.

She had a $30 million make-over about two years ago. The Horizon Court was totally redone and is fabulous. A sushi restaurant and the International Cafe were installed. The atrium on the Sun isn't as large or as impressive as on the Diamond. Of course the Sun is much smaller than the Diamond. This has quite a few advantages.

We are going on the Sun again this year. We have also cruised on the Diamond and I can't really say which one I prefer. It is 'pluses & minuses'.

The Diamond has four exits from the Princess Theatre instead of two - great.

The promenade deck on the Sun goes right around the ship on the same level - great.

The Sun has an International Cafe - good.

The Diamond has Anytime dining as well as traditional dining in the MDR - great.

The Sun uses AUD as on-board currency - great now that the AUD is low.

The Sun has the Vista Lounge at the aft end of the ship and this works well as a second venue for shows. The Club Fusion or the Explorer Lounge on the Diamond don't work as well.

I have typed out my comments above and will leave them. But I note that you mention the World Cruise in 2016 (I agree it is a great itinerary), but I believe it is the Sea Princess (not the Sun) that is doing this cruise. In that case, delete the mention of the re-designed Horizon Court, the International Cafe and the Sushi restaurant unless they are installed in the re-fit later this year. The Sun Princess and the Sea Princess are sisters (both of the Sun class). The Sea Princess probably needs a bit of refreshing and that is probably planned for the re-fit after this year's World Cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

OMG - first post asking a question and I stu..ed it up, your reply was so comprehensive and of course it is the SEA Princess I am asking about.

That's fine.:) I suggest you post any further questions on the 'Australia and New Zealand Cruisers' section of this forum. There you can get responses from people who cruise on the Australian-based ships regularly.

We were on the Sea Princess earlier this year and the Sun Princess late last year. Currently, I would say that the Sun P is in better shape than the Sea P because of the Sun's major refit, but I don't know what is planned for the re-fit on the Sea after this year's World Cruise.

We were on a segment of the WC on the Dawn last year. She hasn't had the up-grade that the Sun had, and everyone we spoke to on the WC was loving the trip. I didn't hear anyone complain about the ship.