Itinerary changes

Bruin Steve

I noticed how angry NancyBancy seemsd to be about itinerary changes on her upcoming cruise, so I went back and read all of the threads dealing with the subject...

Yeah, I guess I'd be rather upset as well...

But, OTOH, I've seen worse...

My sister was on a Norwegian Cruise Line cruise once that NEVER LEFT Los Angeles Harbor!!! Engine problems, supposedly...

Now, as for me...

My recent Celebrity Northern Europe cruise had a couple of ports switched in order and hours in port either shortened or shifted in several places...We only found out about a shift in hours in Dublin when we arrived on the ship...No big deal, but it played havoc with people who booked private tours and with people who had early dinner seating...

We were on a Royal Caribbean Cruise once in the Caribbean where we missed one of the four ports (7 night cruise) completely--Hurricane issue...

We were on a Princess cruise to the Baltic a few years back where they changed the Embarkation time from 11:00 pm to 5:00 pm...They claimed they sent out notices THREE DAYS in ADVANCE!! Of course, we had left home FIVE days ahead for some pre-cruise time in Copenhagen...And our TA told us she only received the notice THE SAME DAY as embarkation and we had already checked out of our hotel...(Luckily, we like to get to the ship as early as possible)...And, for that cruise, Princess shortened the first of only two days in St. Petersburg, shortening all of the Shore Excursions--our "City Tour" went fronm 4 hours to TWO--and they compensated us by refunding us a whopping SIX DOLLARS each ...

My point is, it is NOT just Oceania...Stuff like this seems to happen with ALL cruise lines...There are a heck of a lot of variables in cruising--Weather, Engine Problems, Terrorism Concerns, Labor Strikes, unforeseen port conflicts...The list goes on and on...

I don't think ANY cruise line messes with it's customers intentionally...If they need to make changes, they have every incentive to make them sooner rather than later...

The reasons or the results may not always sit well with us...but, it's just part of the deal...You don't always get what you plan out many months in advance...

If the changes or adjustments were that critical that I wouldn't go on the cruise, I'm certain a little negotiation ant the cruise line would work something out vis-a-vis cancellation and refund...

If Gibraltar was my sole reason for going on that cruise, I'd probably try to visit on the Cadiz port stop (Gibraltar --78 miles away--is just about the same distance from Cadiz as Seville--77 miles)...or maybe I'd work out a short "post-cruise" after disembarking in Lisbon...

Yeah, I wouldn't be thrilled with the changes either...but, OTOH, I'd see the itinerary as still a pretty enjoyable cruise itinerary...You may actually enjoy having the extra at-sea day--sometimes they're needed with all the running around in port...

I'd just try to kick back and enjoy the cruise and not let these things stress you out...

Again, they happen with EVERY cruise line... and, no, they are not always handled well--by any of them...

Relax...Enjoy...

I have read these notes for the brief and frustrating opportunities I have had when I have sucessfully encountered logging on....

Having said that...

I think the perception Nancy has is that this was a strategic release by *this* cruiseline once all final payments were made, as opposed to one that was coincidental. I *get* her conveyance that this is the chief complaint.

That's her point, and her outrage as I read it. I don't critisize her for it. She will ultimately have to find a way to make sense of it in a way she can get comfortable with as we all have to do when we have to address at a minimum, disappointment from changes such as these when we are left with no control.

Dear Steve,

I must take this opportunity to compliment you on a really nice post. In the past, I have disagreed with you and thought it was because I was old enough to be your mother. You have really mellowed in the past two months. I too agree that Nancybancy has reason to be angry because of the timing and not getting notification of the changes to her cruise. I had a private tour arranged for our recent stop in Dikili, Turkey to see some interesting ruins. When we arrived on the ship there was a letter in our cabin announcing that we would not go there. The substituted port "would be announced". These things have happened on other cruises -- we just roll with the changes. Life is too short to have a heart attack over things we have no control over. If Gibraltar is that important to her, I agree with your solution. I also agree that every cruise line has made some changes on cruises we have been on.

Sheila from Encino

I understand what you both are saying, and appreciate the time & effort put into your posts on the subject. I don't agree with a lot of it, but I understand that each of us has to deal with these disappointments in our own way. Some of us can smell a dead rat and walk away from the smell and move on to cleaner air, and some of us can smell a dead rat and will stay to clean up the mess. I'm not someone who walks away - not that walking away is a bad thing - it's just not my way. :D

Steve, your post says it all thanks.

Nancy,

I really think that you should cancel this cruise , if you can not get all the credit back, which I am pretty sure if you just paid your final cc bill you can dispute..or ask them to give you another cruise that you like/switch itinerary , I am sure that the ship will do that for you. You are truly unhappy and that is just not a great thing. In the past you have been a great happy camper to all the boards and now you are just making yourself sad about this cruise..and us as well as we really feel for you.

wishing you luck

Dear Steve,

I must take this opportunity to compliment you on a really nice post. In the past, I have disagreed with you and thought it was because I was old enough to be your mother. You have really mellowed in the past two months. I too agree that Nancybancy has reason to be angry because of the timing and not getting notification of the changes to her cruise. I had a private tour arranged for our recent stop in Dikili, Turkey to see some interesting ruins. When we arrived on the ship there was a letter in our cabin announcing that we would not go there. The substituted port "would be announced". These things have happened on other cruises -- we just roll with the changes. Life is too short to have a heart attack over things we have no control over. If Gibraltar is that important to her, I agree with your solution. I also agree that every cruise line has made some changes on cruises we have been on.

Sheila from Encino

Sheila email me neighbor!

Sorry, Sheila, you squeaked in there! Didn't mean to ignore you. Sorry, but I'd rather have a heart attack fighting something I perceive to be an injustice to moldering away in a nursing home somewhere. I can't particularly say I think Oceania is *worth* my life, however! But I'm surprised to hear that so many people think rolling over & playing dead with a company like Oceania is acceptable. It almost makes me think that it's no wonder they can get away with this kind of behavior. And please, everyone, don't put terrorism-weather-strikes-engines into the same category as this issue. None of that applies here. I've missed my share of ports, had ports changed, etc. This is NOT the same thing. Also, Oceania has warned us that this may not be the end of the changes. Since they WOULD have the audacity to change port hours while I was actually IN Gibraltar, thanks, but no thanks. I'll see it another time, on another cruise line!

I've been following these various threads on the itinerary changes and really feel for all that have been (there's no nice way to say it) screwed!! We have been on 2 Oceania cruises and will not be taking another any time soon, if ever! The changes made on this cruise are more than normal, in my opinion and without any explanation for the shortened times in many ports and missing one port completely.

I'm sure many, including Nancy would cancel if they new that by disputing there CC bills they would get a refund. I don't think this would happen and the fine print surely protects Oceania, as I'm sure they knew. IMHO

As much as I'm not happy with the changes, the cruise still seems like a wonderful vacation to me. We're travelling with friends who live 1,000 miles away, and it's impossivble not to have a good time with them. I love the look and feel of the Oceania ships, like the variety of dining experiences, believe there will be lots of fun things to do.

I don't view trying to make the best of something I can't change as rolling over and playing dead. And I don't think any amount of ranting and raving will get Oceania to change the itinerary back.

I don't like the way being extremely angry feels--all stirred up and miserable--so I'd rather cope in a way that feels less unpleasant. Selfishly, I want to focus on the positives and have a good time.

Also off topic . . . Hi Bruin Steve and Shiela. I am another Valley person (Woodland Hills). My husband and I have been on Oceania a few times as well as Celebrity (Steve, I remember seeing your posts on Celebritiy's website). It would be fun for us Vally folks to get together. Please feel free to email me at wsimons@imc-miracles.com

Hi SeaCCruiser,

I live around the corner from there. We were fortunate we didn't lose power in our neighborhood today, but just east of us in Sherman Oaks they did.

There were no traffic signals and traffic was at a standstill in places.

Sheila

Archived