Airfare

Thecat3902

So I am booked on the vista for February 2017. We are now thinking about changing our booking to next June and splurging on the Barcelona cruise. My question is when do you all typical buy your airfare. I've looked at prices for this June to see what I might possibly pay for that time period. Does anyone have any advice on international airfare?

Although it's generally true that booking in advance 8-10 months may yield better rates, a good deal can be found if one is diligent. My wife and I booked our Vista inaugural cruise only 2 months before sail date. We thought we would have to pay a premium for airfare from Toronto, particularly as we prefer premium economy. Over the course of a couple of weeks I monitored the websites for major carriers as well as travel sites such as Flighthub and Expedia. On the British Airways site I found a great price for premium economy only a couple hundred dollars more than economy. Do your homework. There are deals to be found.

We booked our flight to Europe through Carnival and got a great deal along with the airline and flights we wanted. I definitely suggest you check with them. Once booked I was able to log on to Delta, choose our seats, upgrade to Delta Comfort for the flight to Barcelona, and added frequent flyer numbers. Easy, peezy ;)

Booked in February for our October 11 cruise out of Barcelona. We got two tickets from San Francisco to Athens.... and then two tickets from Barcelona to San Francisco. In February (19th) they were a total of $1756.00. Now today on the same flights, same times, same everything... they are a total of $2300. This was through OR**z dot com

We ended up booking our flights through Carnival. I was surprised. It ended up being $1000 per person for us to fly out of Grand Rapids to Barcelona and then back from Athens. This was $100 per person more than what I could get out of Chicago on my own but it saves us a four hour drive and parking at O'hare, so I think we ended up coming out okay, if not a little ahead.

We were able to select our seats on the domestic carriers, Delta and American but our flights on Air France and British Airways, I was told we would have to get our seats upon checking in on the day of travel. It's not too terrible. I am glad that we were able to select our seats for the trans-atlantic portions of the trip so that we are comfortable on the long haul flights.

Overall, I was impressed with the airfare and plan to call back once a month or so to see if the fares have gone any lower. Carnival even encouraged that I do that.

I ended up booking 1 way airfares.

We are flying from Adelaide (in Australia) to Paris (that was $900 per person with Etihad Airways), then $100 per person a couple of days later to fly with Air France to Barcelona.

We are doing the Transatlantic to New York, so seeing a few spots around the US before flying home... Flying with Hawaiian Airlines home from Honolulu to Sydney, that was around $800 per person to do that.

Probably the more expensive way to do it, but we will see a lot. :)

• 2 weeks later...

You can look for flights yourself and get Carnival's price for same or see what flights Carnival has. I picked my flights online and purchased from Carnival cheaper than airline website 👍