Itinerary in Bermuda

NJ Mr. E

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a solo cruise to Bermuda. I will be there for three days in May. It seems "winging it" isn't the best of ideas in Bermuda (as per a lot of threads). I was looking for some tips or ideas for my stay in the island. I am into backpacking, so long walks are fine by me. I can swim/snorkel/dive. I have no physical limitations. I also thoroughly enjoy photography.

Thanks in advance to any responders.

I am sure you will receive responses that will fit more into your interests but, below is a bit of what I did.

I would first recommend getting the transit pass you can get a 1, 2, or 3 day . Two years ago the 3 day pass was around $35 dollars and it was good for unlimited transit the public buses and ferries.

I took the ferry to St George and walked to a few beaches including Tobacco bay, snorkeling is available there. I also visited the unfinished church and the historic square.

I also took the ferry to Hamilton and shopped and went to the night market. I generally wandered and had tea at the Fairmont.

I took the bus to Horseshoe Bay Beach… it was beautiful but very cold and full of jelly fish, or similar species (the time of year I was there.)

I also walked around the Naval Dockyard area and went to the museum and did a bit of shopping.

At all of these locations I was able to get a lot of beautiful photographs (although most of them I managed to delete once I returned home :( )

There are a lot of things to do and I’m am sure you will get better responses than this one :), but again I would definitely recommend getting the transit pass, especially if you plan on doing a lot of things on your own.

tmee

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a solo cruise to Bermuda. I will be there for three days in May. It seems "winging it" isn't the best of ideas in Bermuda (as per a lot of threads). I was looking for some tips or ideas for my stay in the island. I am into backpacking, so long walks are fine by me. I can swim/snorkel/dive. I have no physical limitations. I also thoroughly enjoy photography.

Thanks in advance to any responders.

Exploring solo in Bermuda is a breeze!

I'm taking my 4th solo cruise to Bermuda in May and I've "winged" it every time except for scuba diving on the first cruise. On my last cruise in October I booked a shore excursion to the beach and it was cancelled due to bad weather. I get the bus/ferry pass which is reasonable and very efficient. I've been to the St. George's several times, the Swizzle Inn, the Aquarium and Bermuda Underwater Explorer's Institute (BUEI), explored the Royal Naval Dockyards and museum and downtown Hamilton. The locals and very friendly and if you tell the bus driver where you want to go, they will make sure they let you know the right stop.

There are free walking tours in the morning at the Dockyards and also in St. George on some days and I enjoyed those very much. Taken both a couple of times and always learn something different.

Since you like to hike, check out the Bermuda Railway Trail, it's about 20 miles long. I would love to do that but don't think it's a good idea for a single woman to hike that distance alone.

The only thing I haven't done is gone to a pink sand beach and I'm hoping to do that this trip. If your ship is at the Dockyard there is a shuttle bus to get to the beaches instead of having to pay for a cab all by yourself. I'm on HAL which docks in downtown Hamilton so I'll explore taking the buses to a beach so I can cross that off of my list.

Have fun!

Exploring solo in Bermuda is a breeze!

I'm taking my 4th solo cruise to Bermuda in May and I've "winged" it every time except for scuba diving on the first cruise. On my last cruise in October I booked a shore excursion to the beach and it was cancelled due to bad weather. I get the bus/ferry pass which is reasonable and very efficient. I've been to the St. George's several times, the Swizzle Inn, the Aquarium and Bermuda Underwater Explorer's Institute (BUEI), explored the Royal Naval Dockyards and museum and downtown Hamilton. The locals and very friendly and if you tell the bus driver where you want to go, they will make sure they let you know the right stop.

There are free walking tours in the morning at the Dockyards and also in St. George on some days and I enjoyed those very much. Taken both a couple of times and always learn something different.

Since you like to hike, check out the Bermuda Railway Trail, it's about 20 miles long. I would love to do that but don't think it's a good idea for a single woman to hike that distance alone.

The only thing I haven't done is gone to a pink sand beach and I'm hoping to do that this trip. If your ship is at the Dockyard there is a shuttle bus to get to the beaches instead of having to pay for a cab all by yourself. I'm on HAL which docks in downtown Hamilton so I'll explore taking the buses to a beach so I can cross that off of my list.

Have fun!

I'm going on the Breakaway in May. Thank you for the idea. Everyone on CC seems to say the bus pass is worth it.

I did the Royal Naval Dockyard and not only was it a great museum- it was right next to the ship. I also went to fungolf mingolf there.

At night I did a Bermuda Triangle Boat Excursion.

I went to the Bermuda martime museum which was interesting and very technical- I was there around an hour.

I took the ferry to St George but next time I am taking a tour.

Hamilton i went to lunch etc...

I am more a museum than a beach person.

Transit pass was great- saw a lot of bermuda on one of the bus rides.

I'm going May 1st (NCL Dawn).

I went a while back as a solo and booked so many excursions I did not see much of island.

This time I booked a 5hr tour of island on 2nd day and a rum cruise after that.

On 1st day there I will get transit pass and take ferry to St Georges and then bus to Horseshoe bay. I heard there are a handful of nice beaches walking distance from Horseshoe so I plan to walk beach to beach for a while till bus back to ship.

3rd day I plan to just chill in dockyards to shop and explore till ship leaves.

I was also trying to look up a hiking route around most of the island and sleeping under the stars. I have another thread and some people have tips on that idea.

I am going to get the transit pass for sure. I haven't considered a tour, but maybe it's a good idea.