DAwn Princess

LHT28

Since the Dawn is a Sun Class ship she is well liked for her small ship atmosphere (by todays standards) by many of us. Those looking for the mega type ships with all the extras are usually disappointed in this size of ship. But if you are looking for a well maintained ship with great service and actual cruising, she is perfect.

My second favorite ship (most favorite is the Regal). As a previous poster said, you won't find all the bells and whistles of the mega ships, but you will have a real cruise experience. The Dawn has the best Promenade Deck I've seen, those teak lounge chairs are wonderful for sitting on and watching the ocean go by.

Any comment on food and the specialty restaurants ...what food do you have to pay for?

We have been on small ships and love them more than mega ships. Even the DAWN is big by our standards but we are interested in the ports of call.

We know liquor, pop and bottled water are extra but not use to other "pay for food" venues.

Thanks

Specialty restaurants my wife and I never used so really we paid for nothing extra in the food situation...

Again we have a favourite cabin location based on our needs and wants when we cruise. We LOVED the Riviera Deck. So much so we booked the exact same cabin for the sea princess this coming January. Yes a sister to the Dawn.

My wife bought the soda card and thought it was handy and good value for her. I cannot give any reference on quality of soda as I like a beer.

Supply intinerary and I am sure many will give you info on all ports...

I've been on the Dawn twice and as I recall, the only "pay for" restaurant is the Sterling Steak House, which is actually part of the Horizon court that they transform into the Sterling in the evening. I've not eaten there, but have read that some find it lacking in ambience as it is not totally removed from the passengers who are using the Horizon court buffet. The Dawn has an excellent sit-down pizza restaurant for which there is no additional charge.

In the dining rooms, I enjoyed the food on the Dawn, and find it to be the same as the Coral or Grand, I didn't see any difference on this particular ship -- I've thought it was good on all ships. There are no other "pay for" foods on the Princess ship outside of the drinks mentioned above. Oh yes, except for the Haagen Daz stand which isn't on the Dawn anyway. There are no pay-for desserts on Princess as there are on Carnival.

I can't say enough good things about the pizza place on the Dawn. It's free and the food is great. They serve both pizza and pasta so if you're not a pizza person, try the pasta. It's also kind of a neat location, at the top of the atrium. On the Dawn, there's no dedicated facility for Sterling Steakhouse (the fee-based specialty restaurant) so they just block off a section of the seating area for the buffet. We never chose to eat at Sterling, but we did eat in the buffet and the view up there is lovely. I would imagine it's a great way to have dinner and enjoy the sunset.

We sailed on the Dawn in April of this year, the Sun the year before and are going on the Sea in April of next year. All are sister ships and quite the same. Great cruises, didn't feel crowded, the food was wonderful.

We ate in the Sterling Steak House a couple of times and it was very good. You really aren't disturbed by anyone from the other side of the Horizon Court which is open at the same time. Far enough removed that you really don't see anything over there.

We did have the steak in the dining room and it was comparable but the service is more attentive in the Sterling.

You will love the Dawn!

We sailed on the Dawn in April of this year,

You will love the Dawn!

I noticed in the deck plans there is a Patissierie, do you pay extra for the treats there?

Also has anyone used the laundry? I think I read it was free but maybe another cruiseline I was getting confused:eek:

Archived