Tours & time for other things?

hfj17002

First time cruiser here. We will be in GC from 7am-4pm. We have an excursion from 830-1pm. My question is, will there be enough time after our excursion to do anything? We'll still have to eat lunch. Should we just go back to the ship & call it a day, or eat lunch on GC & get some beach or shopping in? Would it be worth it since it's a tender port? Thanks!

Shopping is right across from the tender dock...so you'll have time for that, while still being close by....Traffic gets very bad and slow in the afternoon...so you don't want to go too far!!! I wouldn't go to a beach, as the road back is where all the traffic is!

Edited by cb at sea

Do you know what time we are supposed to be back on the ship if it departs at 4pm?

If the ship departs at 4, generally the last tender back will leave the tender dock at 3:30 (or 3 minutes prior to departure). Make sure of that by checking you nightly newsletter that is put in your room the evening prior to arrival. It will have all details on it. Do NOT miss the last tender or you'll be flying to your next port of call.

For the OP, after your tour, you'll have plenty of time in town to wander around and catch some lunch. There are a few waterfront restaurants, along with some chains like Margaritaville. Near the tender docks, we like Paradise Grill, as it's right on the water, the prices are decent, the views are spectacular and you can swim/snorkel right there. There is no beach due to iron shore, but there are steps into the water which is crystal clear and warm. They feed the tarpon here as well, so it's cool to swim among the huge fish!!

If the ship departs at 4, generally the last tender back will leave the tender dock at 3:30 (or 3 minutes prior to departure). Make sure of that by checking you nightly newsletter that is put in your room the evening prior to arrival. It will have all details on it. Do NOT miss the last tender or you'll be flying to your next port of call.

For the OP, after your tour, you'll have plenty of time in town to wander around and catch some lunch. There are a few waterfront restaurants, along with some chains like Margaritaville. Near the tender docks, we like Paradise Grill, as it's right on the water, the prices are decent, the views are spectacular and you can swim/snorkel right there. There is no beach due to iron shore, but there are steps into the water which is crystal clear and warm. They feed the tarpon here as well, so it's cool to swim among the huge fish!!

Thank you for the info. I guess we'll have about 2hrs after the tour. I rather skip the tour & explore the island & spend time on the beach, but I'm sure my kids will enjoy turtle farm & sting ray city. Wish we had more time.

Thank you for the info. I guess we'll have about 2hrs after the tour. I rather skip the tour & explore the island & spend time on the beach, but I'm sure my kids will enjoy turtle farm & sting ray city. Wish we had more time.

Many Stingray tour operators will drop you off at Seven Mile Beach on the way back to port. You could go for an hour then catch a cab or the bus back to port, but if you cut it too close and there's a lot of traffic you could be in a little trouble.

IF your tour ends at 1:00 PM you really won't have time to 7 mile beach. Because it is a tender port you can't easily return to the ship. There is some shopping in the port and in the blocks across from the port. Plus the museum is just a couple of blocks away. Look on line and you can find a good walking tour for Georgetown. We learned a lot on previous cruises about the area and the people.

There are many restaurants - even a DQ in walking distance. Enjoy the couple of hours before you need to get on the tender to head back.

IF your tour ends at 1:00 PM you really won't have time to 7 mile beach. Because it is a tender port you can't easily return to the ship. There is some shopping in the port and in the blocks across from the port. Plus the museum is just a couple of blocks away. Look on line and you can find a good walking tour for Georgetown. We learned a lot on previous cruises about the area and the people.

There are many restaurants - even a DQ in walking distance. Enjoy the couple of hours before you need to get on the tender to head back.

Thanks for your input! I guess we'll just go with how we are feeling at the time. Explorer Grand Cayman or go back to ship to eat & relax.