Galveston Embarkation W/O FTTF or perks?

toosaxykk

DH and I switched our Summer cruise from the Dream to the Magic about a month ago and LOST our FTTF on the Dream. I am currently checking for FTTF on the hour I swear daily for our June Magic cruise with no luck... thus far! My question is... How long does the embarkation process take in Galveston without FTTF or the loyalty perks on Carnival. We have ALWAYS had the FTTF and I am just curious as to what to expect as far as a time to get on board!

Thanks!

Keep watching, we scored FTTF for our Magic cruise last week with only 19 days left until cruising. We were very excited to get it. We entered the terminal at 9:55, were through security and had our keys in hand by 10:05. We were on the ship and having lunch before 12. In the past, we have not had FTTF in Galveston, but find the process pretty smooth. Several we spoke to on the ship talked about getting on pretty early also. I say get there early and get zone 1 boarding passes and hope for an early start.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cruisinpips

As previously stated, the check-in and boarding process in Galveston usually runs very smoothly. After security scanners at the entrance downstairs, you proceed up an escalator to the main check-in area on the second floor. Even if it looks like a long winding line, it goes fairly fast. Once checked-in at the counter you may be waiting a short time in a numbered zone and then proceed to have embarkation picture made. After that, you board the ship--sometimes less than 30 minutes all together.

The only exception to this would be if the previous cruise was late arriving or if there was some other unforeseen delay, such as equipment malfunctions, etc. Believe me, they DO want the previous cruisers off the ship and they DO want you to board as soon as humanly possible. Even if it seems no one is doing anything to make this happen, they really are and you should get to enjoy your cruise within a reasonable time.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

My mother-in-law was just there and told me to get there early. I haven't been able to snag a FTTF yet either but we're planning to get to the port no later than 10:30. She got there around 1pm and said it was crazy. She had FTTF though so she didn't have to wait.

DH and I switched our Summer cruise from the Dream to the Magic about a month ago and LOST our FTTF on the Dream. I am currently checking for FTTF on the hour I swear daily for our June Magic cruise with no luck... thus far! My question is... How long does the embarkation process take in Galveston without FTTF or the loyalty perks on Carnival. We have ALWAYS had the FTTF and I am just curious as to what to expect as far as a time to get on board!

Thanks!

I don't think I have waited more then 40 min from luggage drop-off to buffet lunch. I'm sure it can be longer just never for me.

Thank you ALL so much for posting a response. My DH and I live in north Houston (The Woodlands) and are wondering when we should plan to arrive at the cruise terminal! Your thoughts are really helping! Thank you so much!

I always arrive in Galveston by 10:30. We are Diamond so our boarding usually begins around 11:30. By noon all the VIPs and FTTFs are on the ship and they are boarding the zones.

I have friends that don't have any perks to get them early boarding so they get to the pier around 9:45. Sometimes the doors aren't even open yet, but it ensures that they end up with zone 1 boarding.

For our very first cruise we sailed out of Galveston and I didn't even know what FTTF even was. We got to port around 10, parked, and then went through security and the whole shabang in less than an hour. I would say it took roughly half an hour. It was pretty quick I thought.

I always arrive in Galveston by 10:30. We are Diamond so our boarding usually begins around 11:30. By noon all the VIPs and FTTFs are on the ship and they are boarding the zones.

I have friends that don't have any perks to get them early boarding so they get to the pier around 9:45. Sometimes the doors aren't even open yet, but it ensures that they end up with zone 1 boarding.

Ok.. This makes sense. Are the Zones on a first-come first-served basis or where you cabin in located. I know on Navigator in Galveston your deck determined your Zone being called. The higher decks were called 1st. We are sailing in a Cove Balcony on the Magic so we would be a VERY LOW deck!

DH and I LOVE to get on ASAP and check the ship out before the muster drill. That is when we do most of our touring and pictures of the actual ship so we would LOVE to be able to get on board pretty quickly after the Diamonds/ FTT/ etc.

Thank you so much for this info! It really does help!

Ok.. This makes sense. Are the Zones on a first-come first-served basis or where you cabin in located. I know on Navigator in Galveston your deck determined your Zone being called. The higher decks were called 1st. We are sailing in a Cove Balcony on the Magic so we would be a VERY LOW deck!

DH and I LOVE to get on ASAP and check the ship out before the muster drill. That is when we do most of our touring and pictures of the actual ship so we would LOVE to be able to get on board pretty quickly after the Diamonds/ FTT/ etc.

Thank you so much for this info! It really does help!

It is by a first-served basis. The earlier you get there, the best chance of getting a better zone (such as Zone 1 or 2), you will get on the ship faster. Do NOT arrive before 10:00AM as the doors will not open until that time. You will have to stand outside and wait. Arriving at 10:00AM will almost ensure you get Zone 1 or 2.

It is by a first-served basis. The earlier you get there, the best chance of getting a better zone (such as Zone 1 or 2), you will get on the ship faster. Do NOT arrive before 10:00AM as the doors will not open until that time. You will have to stand outside and wait. Arriving at 10:00AM will almost ensure you get Zone 1 or 2.

Wow... Thank you SO MUCH for this information! We will definitely get there by 10AM if not sooner. When we did the Navigator we got to the pier by about 9:30 and didn't have to wait outside but I know Carnival has a different terminal! I think it is better to be there early and have to wait than to get there later and wish we could have boarded sooner!

You have been a BIG help! Of course, I am still hoping I can get the FTTF but this eases my nerves and anticipation a little! THANKS!

Is there anything to do near the pier to do while waiting for your zone? In NOLA you can walk the Riverwalk shops etc. ill have 2 young boys who will be anxious to get on the boat.

There are a few restaurants and small shops within walking distance but keep in mind the TEXAS heat! It will be hot most of the time!

As previously stated, the check-in and boarding process in Galveston usually runs very smoothly. After security scanners at the entrance downstairs, you proceed up an escalator to the main check-in area on the second floor. Even if it looks like a long winding line, it goes fairly fast. Once checked-in at the counter you may be waiting a short time in a numbered zone and then proceed to have embarkation picture made. After that, you board the ship--sometimes less than 30 minutes all together.

The only exception to this would be if the previous cruise was late arriving or if there was some other unforeseen delay, such as equipment malfunctions, etc. Believe me, they DO want the previous cruisers off the ship and they DO want you to board as soon as humanly possible. Even if it seems no one is doing anything to make this happen, they really are and you should get to enjoy your cruise within a reasonable time.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

This is FANTASTIC advice! Thank you SO much for sharing! I feel much better about the whole process now! Thanks!

So you do not need to buy FTTF to get on board early? They are not going to ask you to come back after 12:30?

If they start boarding platinum people at 11 am, then FTTF people...do we wait 1 hour or more at the terminal if we arrive there at 10 am?

Sorry for those questions, but first time on Carnival, we are not familiar with their process...

So you do not need to buy FTTF to get on board early? They are not going to ask you to come back after 12:30?

If they start boarding platinum people at 11 am, then FTTF people...do we wait 1 hour or more at the terminal if we arrive there at 10 am?

Sorry for those questions, but first time on Carnival, we are not familiar with their process...

...Once you are checked-in and waiting in a zone, then it is a matter of when your zone is called. It could all happen before 12:30 if all goes smoothly during the morning. Before we became Platinum, we were always on the ship before 12:30--but we had to take our carry-on items with us around the ship until they opened the cabin hallways. So, if you are able to buy FTTF, you can go to the cabin and dump your carry-on items before the hallways are open--that's really the only advantage when boarding early. If you check in and board close to or after 1:30 or 2:00, then the cabins should be open anyway--no need for FTTF.

We sailed out of Galveston on the Magic back in January and the embarkation was a nightmare. It took about 3-4 hours. We got there just before 1pm and then right as we got on they made the announcement for muster. I'm not 100% sure what time that was, but I know it was not an easy/fun process.

Thank you for the replies! I have been checking, but FTTF is sold out. With less than 2 weeks before our cruise now, I don't think it will be available for us to purchase. But yes, we plan to enjoy our cruise!

Keep checking multiple times a day.

We did have FTTF, which was showing as sold out till a month before we sailed.

We arrived at 10.20 and were on board just after 11.00. So I would imagine if you got there for 10.00 you would board just after FTTF.

Have a lovely cruise, we did.

Jan xxx

We will plan on arriving early to help ensure an early zone time hopefully!

Thanks for your advice!

We sailed out of Galveston on the Magic back in January and the embarkation was a nightmare. It took about 3-4 hours. We got there just before 1pm and then right as we got on they made the announcement for muster. I'm not 100% sure what time that was, but I know it was not an easy/fun process.

We cruise on the Navigator in August 2014 and while we got on board at a decent time I heard HORROR stories of those who had to wait in the terminal for nearly 3 hours. I have also heard numerous stories about Carnival's check-in time in Galveston. This is exactly why I REALLY WANT the FTTF. DH and I try to really make the cruise a FULL 7 days by getting on board ASAP and enjoy the ship instead of waiting til the last minute to get on! Either way, we will enjoy our cruise! Thanks for your input! It really helps!

One week before our cruise, and I received an email from Carnival saying my check-in time is 2-3 pm. The following is from the email:

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Magic. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

To ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we will be implementing staggered check-in windows for your cruise. Your assigned check-in time is from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. We kindly ask that you make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside of their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time.

We highly recommend you check-in at least one hour prior to our scheduled departure time of 4:00 PM. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Lastly, if you have not yet registered for your cruise online, please take a moment to do so now as it will speed up your check-in at the pier. Visit us at http://www.carnival.com/BookedGuest to register and print your boarding pass.

We can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

So, I guess we will not arrive at the port early after all. I don't want to get there at 10 am and asked to come back at 2 pm. We will have late start to our vacation, but at least our room will be ready when we board. :)

One week before our cruise, and I received an email from Carnival saying my check-in time is 2-3 pm. The following is from the email:

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Magic. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

To ensure a smooth embarkation experience, we will be implementing staggered check-in windows for your cruise. Your assigned check-in time is from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM. We kindly ask that you make plans to arrive within this time frame as guests arriving outside of their assigned window may be asked to come back later or experience a longer wait time.

We highly recommend you check-in at least one hour prior to our scheduled departure time of 4:00 PM. Please keep in mind that you may not be able to embark if you arrive later than 30 minutes prior to sail time.

Lastly, if you have not yet registered for your cruise online, please take a moment to do so now as it will speed up your check-in at the pier. Visit us at http://www.carnival.com/BookedGuest to register and print your boarding pass.

We can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

So, I guess we will not arrive at the port early after all. I don't want to get there at 10 am and asked to come back at 2 pm. We will have late start to our vacation, but at least our room will be ready when we board. :)

We got a similar email that said not to arrive until after 1pm and it seems everyone listened to that email and the result was chaos. I'd ignore it.