Is this deceiving on NCL's part?

WMQueenie

Hmmm, we booked our Alaska cruise about a month ago. When looking I entered in quad rooms on 3 different ships, all showed a huge savings with kids free. In fact it was such a great deal it frustrated me that I just couldn't do it, but 4 in a ncl inside, we just couldn't handle. I paid more and got 2 rooms.

We have done quad rooms in the past but ncl rooms ( even balcony) are reduculosly awkward with 4, did once and never again.

We greatly benefitted from the KSF. Booked before the promo started. Called as we were still before final payment & the rates had also gone down. We had a decrease on the 1st 2 people & my fare was refunded as I was the third person in the room. Other family benefitted even more as they had 4 people in rooms. It all depends on the cruise date. The KSFs are good promos. The 50% not so much - you are sailing peak times and they can sell that cabin for full price to someone else as demand is high. Those peak weeks the 3-8 passenger costs are very high.

This is the pricing for 2 people in cat I1 on the Gem June 27, 2015

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2

Cruise Fare $879.00 $879.00

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $153.04 $153.04

Total per Guest $1,032.04 $1,032.04

This is the pricing for 4 in category, same ship, same date.

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2 Guest 3 Guest 4

Cruise Fare $879.00 $879.00 $849.50 $849.50

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $153.04 $153.04 $153.04 $153.04

Total per Guest $1,032.04 $1,032.04 $1,002.54 $1,002.54

So if we were to believe NCL the price for pax 1 and 2 are $879 and the prices for the 3rd and 4th if the sale wasn't on would be $1699 each before taxes and fees.

Bill

Were you to investigate a wee bit further, you'd discover that if you were to view the same sailing and for a Deluxe Owners' Suite, you'd see this:

Item Guest 1 Guest 2 Guest 3 Guest 4

Cruise Fare $5,409.00 $5,409.00 $849.50 $849.50

Gov't Taxes,

Fees & Port

Expenses $153.04 $153.04 $153.04 $153.04

Total per Guest $5,562.04 $5,562.04 $1,002.54 $1,002.54

Since you've chosen a sailing date that is not only in Prime Season, but also VERY close to sailing date and likely now booked to near capacity, it's no wonder the Brochure Rate for guests 3 & 4 is a bit high. Heaven knows I've seen higher many times.

What you need to understand is that the 3/4th guest Brochure Rate is the same for all cabin categories - and is in no way based upon the full fare for guests 1 and 2 in any category. This rate is based on current capacity, demand and several other factors. If the ship is nearing capacity Norwegian would likely far prefer to have you book two inside cabins, as opposed to one - thereby allowing them to perhaps sell that DOS for 4 - rather than run the risk of having to discount it because there's no capacity remaining for extra guests in any category. Clearly the pricing is set to encourage you to book two cabins - which is actually in your favor, as you'd end up with twice the OBC. ;)

We are looking to book a cruise this summer out of NYC - 6 adults, 2 2-year-olds, so after getting so many emails about kids sale free or half price I went onto the website to do a mock booking. I booked the Gem for the end of June, family inside - when I did it for 2 people the price each was $879 per person. Same room but for 4 people (3rd and 4th passengers half price) - the price was $864 each. So, where's the half off? I tried a few times and kept getting the same results. I emailed this dilemma to my NCL cruise consultant who wrote back that the half off is off the brochure rate. Not off the price on the website?!?! Nope, the brochure rate! Where is the brochure rate listed?? I find this very deceiving...am I wrong?

Yes it's deceiving, but that's par for the course with them.

If this is how they treat their customers, imagine what it's like if you are one of their employees or suppliers.

There are other cruise lines out there.

The promo works fine as long as you are coded ksf. A true ksf with the purple line!!!

It doesn't matter what the brochure rate is on a true ksf. The brochure rate could be $10000 for all that matters because 3&4 are totally free under a true ksf

I got this deal 2x now

However under a 3&4 pax 1/2 off promo they are going by brochure rates for 3&4 and it is false and misleading as no one ever pays the brochure rate so under this plan 3&4 are say $2000 each thus making them $1000 each while pax 1&2 are getting discounted rates to start with and no mention of brochure rate for pax 1&2 at all!!! So for example all 4 pay $1000 each under half off! It's better to just get 2 cabins in that case if possible

under half off 1&2 get the already discounted rate and 3&4 get half off the ridiculously high brochure rate that no one ever pays anyway This is blatantly misleading on ncls part

Newbies won't understand this though and think its a great deal

And as I have been saying all along Ncl is only interested in newbies now

For the most part

To those sensitive types out there .... Newbie is a term of endearment to me..... Nothing more... Nothing less so dont pick it apart ok. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

The promo works fine as long as you are coded ksf. A true ksf with the purple line!!!

The purple line does not show during the summer months. The green - 1/2 off line does. I wish we could sail when the real KSF promo is true, but like I said before, my son is a teacher and a DIL in college... no choice but to sail in summer for this special occasion.

The purple line does not show during the summer months. The green - 1/2 off line does. I wish we could sail when the real KSF promo is true, but like I said before, my son is a teacher and a DIL in college... no choice but to sail in summer for this special occasion.

That is the challenge certain sail dates and departure ports/ships are more expensive than others for example breakaway to Bermuda from New York balcony price for family of 4 is the same total cabin cost as Family Suite on Dawn to Bermuda from Boston. It is sometimes less expensive and a better deal to sail from a further away port even with added costs to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More people than you think pay the brochure rate. If I shall book with a Swedish TA that's the price I will have to pay and I won't get any OBC, free wine etc.

I didn't know that but here in the USA you really don't even see or know what the brochure rate is most times

Ncl doesn't have it on their website and the only time I have seen it used by them

Is for this phony half off promo

Online ta's like to show the brochure rate to make it look like you get a deal but they aren't charging you that rAte ever so that too is a marketing ploy

I personally would like to see a post from someone here who has actually paid brochure rate in the USA

Just an FYI..... Your brochure rate is about 2x what you pay

So if you paid $750 per pax for example that is really what everyone always pays for whatever cabin you pick

If you can actually find someone that paid $1500 for the same ( which will be difficult) then that person paid brochure

But as I stated online agents might show brochure rate but never charge you brochure rate and I have never seen anything on Ncl website that even showed brochure rate

On this side of the pond it is a phony rate ...... Except during the current half off 3&4 pax promo!!! Lol😳😎🙀

Edited by luvtheships

That is the challenge certain sail dates and departure ports/ships are more expensive than others for example breakaway to Bermuda from New York balcony price for family of 4 is the same total cabin cost as Family Suite on Dawn to Bermuda from Boston. It is sometimes less expensive and a better deal to sail from a further away port even with added costs to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But then you aren't sailing on the ba to Bermuda!!!

I know pax love the dawn but the ba offers so much more IMHO

But then you aren't sailing on the ba to Bermuda!!!

I know pax love the dawn but the ba offers so much more IMHO

I live 30 minutes from the ba so getting to Boston for the dawn isn't something I want or need to do

I'm off doing Bermuda this year anyway and am happy with my true ksf on the gem in January when the college kids can sail