FLL / Miami advice

matt082600

Hello All:

I'm sailing the Ecstasy in June; flying into FLL the day before with my wife and 2 kids ages 10 and 12. My plan is to shuttle from the airport to Miami and spend the day before the cruise in Miami. Can anyone give me some hotel advice for Miami, as well as some ideas for something to do while there? Your help is much appreciated!

You might consider staying in the FLL area - generally more family friendly and hotels are usually cheaper than comparable properties in downtown Miami or Miami Beach. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info.

If you decide to stay in Miami check out the Hampton Inn Mary Brickell, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, Marriott and Doubletree. Lots of shopping and dining options within walking distance and a taxi to your ship the next morning will run about $12+tip.

If you want the beach and the "Miami" you see on TV and in the movies you'll need to head to Miami Beach - fabulous dining, people watching, art-deco architecture, beach, etc. You can stay north of South Beach and then use the bus to get to/from South Beach.

Good luck! :)

Easy :D - at least 100 posts per month asking the same question. Shared shuttles from FLL area to POM fares start at about $15 per person -- with a family/group you may save $1-2 each. The drive takes about 45+ minutes. Same companies can get you back to FLL after the cruise. check with SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport and others.

Many choose one-way car rentals to give them some flex for dining and hotels. Hotels closer to the beach charge for parking. :( National, Alamo & Thrifty offer free POM shuttle from their MIA airport location. Avis and Budget are in downtown Miami, close to POM - a $12 cab ride if they do not offer a shuttle.

Good luck! :)