Getaway 5/2 What are the must do's?

Hello fellow cruisers. My wife and I are going on our first NCL cruise on the Getaway in May. What are some of the must see and must do's? Any tips for us on this trip. We are really laid back and like to spend most of our time on the decks or beaches in the adult areas, sipping on mixed drinks. Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you will be on the cruise with us!!!

I would highly recommend Howl at The Moon dueling piano bar...We went almost every night. Illusionarium was fun. I also highly recommend Cagney's for dinner at least one night. The steak was excellent. Enjoy your cruise.

We are going to be on that cruise too! Just booked last week.

Have booked illusionarium and 2 dinners but am wondering about choices for shore excursions and ports?

Also. Any tips or tricks from folks who have done this ship and itinerary?

Don't miss 'Burn the Floor'. Really talented and entertaining dancers. They perform in the theater and also in the Tropicana MDR. It takes some planning to get into the MDR early to get a good table. Check the daily paper to see when.

Hello fellow cruisers. My wife and I are going on our first NCL cruise on the Getaway in May. What are some of the must see and must do's? Any tips for us on this trip. We are really laid back and like to spend most of our time on the decks or beaches in the adult areas, sipping on mixed drinks. Any help is appreciated. Let me know if you will be on the cruise with us!!!

You could not have picked a better ship!!! I did this ship for my 1st NCL cruise and I Loved it! I am booked on this ship again for next March. :D

As for a shows: Yes to Howl at the Moon and I can recommend Burn the Floor-- it's GREAT!

Dining: Cagney's was terrific! As was the Flamingo Bar & Grill--best Cuban food at sea! La Cucina was unimpressive to me. Teppanyaki was really good. Taste, Savor and Tropicana Room were good too.

Spice H20 was quiet as it is 18 & over (and free). The Glow Party is held there (for everyone) and on our sailing, it was hoppin'! They have a really good DJ. But, for sunning, if you go up further (stairs outside), there's a sun deck on 17 that is very quiet too--and practically empty. Lot of loungers on this ship. You won't be disappointed.

As for drinks, didn't do much drinking because I had my kids along. But, I did try a Mojito Flight one night at the Sugarcane bar (a sample of like 6 different mojitos). I hear now the raspberry guava is not to be missed (so, I will try next year).

Different from other cruise lines was their lifeboat drill. It's electronic and you must check-in with your leader and he marks you in attendance. Otherwise, I think they page you or something if you miss.

I hope you both have a GREAT time too!!!

Edited by ChiMimi69

I agree with what everyone else has said. My husband loved the Flamingo Grill, we both really liked Cagney's, and I did enjoy a few mojitos. Burning Down the Floor was a great show, and then we saw a mini performance at the Tropicana dining room. I also really liked Legally Blonde, although that show isn't for everyone. I'm going on the Getaway again January 2016, and want to see those shows again. I also really enjoyed The Newlywed Game, and listening to Karaoke. But I think my favorite part was just lounging on the couches at the Waterfront, just reading a book and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.

We didn't do any ship excursions. For both St Thomas and St Maarten we just walked off the ship and did a town excursion through a private company. We didn't have advance reservations, just showed up.

Have a great trip.

Thank you all so much sounds like I deffinatly need to eat at both Cagney's and the Flamingo Grill. I think everyone has mentioned both of them. I didn't know if getting the Vibe pass would be worth it or not, but it sounds like it is. That is something that you have to get at guest services as soon as you get on the ship? I already booked our time for Legally Blonde (coming from a firemen I am really hoping no one from my house is reading this:eek:) I also plan on scheduling Burn the floor and The Illusion show.

Thank you for all the tips! I can't wait to be on the ship. See you there!

Flamingo Grill is kind of a hidden secret place to eat. You can bypass the crowds at the buffet and get really good food at the grill. Buffet has many choices, but the grill is a great place for breakfast or lunch. I think they have dinner too but I didn't make it there for it. IMO much better than the grill on the Breakaway. Love that Latin influence....try the sweet fried Plantains!

Has anyone used the ultimate drinks package? We can't decide which will be better, getting the package or just getting the drinks as we go.

Also has anyone tried the Moderno restaurant?

Thanks

We have enjoyed the UBP package and we really aren't heavy drinkers. It's fun to try out different drinks and if you don't like it you don't feel like you need to finish it. We love to have the frozen drinks when we are out on the pool deck, like Mudslides or BBCs. It also lets us get sodas at lunch and dinner too. We feel like it's the best value for us from the current promos.

We do like Modernos. The salad bar is fantastic and there are numerous choices of meats they bring around. Sometimes you need to catch their attention if you want to try more of something, but it's a really fun option for a meal.

Vibe is an adults only area with padded loungers, hot tubs and its own bar. They sell limited passes so it is not crowded like some other areas on the ship. We love it!! However if you do not need a lounger right by the pool you can find plenty of loungers in other places without using Vibe.

We have enjoyed the UBP package and we really aren't heavy drinkers. It's fun to try out different drinks and if you don't like it you don't feel like you need to finish it. We love to have the frozen drinks when we are out on the pool deck, like Mudslides or BBCs. It also lets us get sodas at lunch and dinner too. We feel like it's the best value for us from the current promos.

We do like Modernos. The salad bar is fantastic and there are numerous choices of meats they bring around. Sometimes you need to catch their attention if you want to try more of something, but it's a really fun option for a meal.

Thank you for the advice :-)

Flamingo Grill is kind of a hidden secret place to eat. You can bypass the crowds at the buffet and get really good food at the grill. Buffet has many choices, but the grill is a great place for breakfast or lunch. I think they have dinner too but I didn't make it there for it. IMO much better than the grill on the Breakaway. Love that Latin influence....try the sweet fried Plantains!

I agree that the Flamingo Grill is the best little hidden secret. We had breakfast there most of the time. Always a table available. Different choices and you can get your eggs cooked for you.

Also make sure you do the rope course and the water slides. I did the rope course on a sea day and waited about 30 minutes in line. Next day did it at night and walked right on. I think I liked the night time better. Also make sure you do the parties in Spice H20. They are awesome!

Have fun!

Burn the Floor and Legally Blonde are great shows. We also enjoyed Bingo and Newlywed Game show. It is easy to view Newlywed show from the balcony at Osheehan's but must get there early to get a seat directly overlooking the show!