Dubrovnik questions

We will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday, May 24. We would like to see the city walls, take the cable car from top of Mt Srdj, Franciscan or Dominican Monastery, shop, get a bite to eat with a good view, and a church or two. We are in port from 11:30 to 6:30 or 18:30. First of all, what is open on Sunday? Second, we were planning on taking a taxi to town and back. What is the most efficient way to work this ? Should we take a taxi to the top of the mountain view and take the cable car down the mountain? Or should we take the taxi to the Ploce Gate and ascend the wall there? Can we get on the city walls near the Rector Palace and then get on the walls and walk the walls to Pile Gate? Will the shops be open? I would like to get se souvenirs. Where is the best area to get souvenirs ? Is there a nice place with a view to eat or even without a view to get reasonably priced food? I know we need to use Kuna not Euros.

I was looking for the Dubrovnik map on the tourist website but couldn't find it. Does someone have a link? Also tried to find how ships are in port that day but couldn't find it on that website. I guess that is enough to start with. Thank you very much

Ships in porthttp://m.cruisett.com/p/Croatia/184-Dubrovnik/May_2015/

Norwegian Jade and Splendour of the Seas.

Dubrovnik tourist info herehttp://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/#.VSkugpA1hJ8

Great city. Taxis are easily picked up at port. €10 to Pile gate. They will offer you city tours, including cable car, also.

We were on the Emerald Princess August / September last year. Sorry, can't remember what day. We disembarked early, ships transfer to the city gate, there were plenty of taxis available though.

WALK THE WALL FIRST! That's my suggestion anyway. We arrived at the gate, joined a very short queue, 5 couples in front of us, bought our tickets and were on our way. We took our time, well over an hour to walk the wall. Take water and a hat, it gets very hot and there's no shade!

There were quite a few people on the wall but it was comfortable and we weren't held up on steps or the numerous obligatory photo opportunities.

After descending the wall the queue to buy tickets would have been close to 50 metres long. There were a couple of ships in port plus other tourists.

We walked along the main thoroughfare along with thousands of others...literally:mad:

Too many people! Two very short streets away from the throng of tourists we found a short lived peace and quiet, plus a very nice restaurant with outdoor tables....and cold beer:) There was no view but people watching was fascinating. You could tell when others happened upon this oasis away from the maddening crowds. But then even this area became busy.

There are plenty of bars and eateries either side of the main central areas.

After looking in just a couple of shops we couldn't be bothered shopping. Plenty of souvenir type places at the port terminal and a very reasonably priced place to buy a beer:)

Didn't bother with the cable car, but in hindsight maybe we should have. We were just fed up with all of the people and wanted some peace and quiet, so went back to the ship about 1pm.

Dubrovnik is fantastic but it is an extremely popular tourist destination, do as much ASAP to beat the crowds;)

I realise you're in port a little later than we were so I'm thinking it's going to be very hot, even in May, for this time of day, so walking the wall later maybe a better option.

Paul

Edited by Tickle

We will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday, May 24. We would like to see the city walls, take the cable car from top of Mt Srdj, Franciscan or Dominican Monastery, shop, get a bite to eat with a good view, and a church or two. We are in port from 11:30 to 6:30 or 18:30. First of all, what is open on Sunday? Second, we were planning on taking a taxi to town and back. What is the most efficient way to work this ? Should we take a taxi to the top of the mountain view and take the cable car down the mountain? Or should we take the taxi to the Ploce Gate and ascend the wall there? Can we get on the city walls near the Rector Palace and then get on the walls and walk the walls to Pile Gate? Will the shops be open? I would like to get se souvenirs. Where is the best area to get souvenirs ? Is there a nice place with a view to eat or even without a view to get reasonably priced food? I know we need to use Kuna not Euros.

I was looking for the Dubrovnik map on the tourist website but couldn't find it. Does someone have a link? Also tried to find how ships are in port that day but couldn't find it on that website. I guess that is enough to start with. Thank you very much

All historical and cultural sites are open on Sunday, including cable car and wall. Your arrival date is good, only one other ship in port is Norwegian Jade arrival at 1400. Listed below is our Dubrovnik accurate port site for arrivals.

You will find taxis lined up at the port waiting to transport you to the Pile old town entrance for 75 Kuna. It is by the far the most convenient method to arrive in town. Forget using Euros, the only legal currency of the country is Croatian Kuna. Up to you if you want to ask the driver to drive you up the goat path to the top of Srd. Personally I rather enjoy the cable car ride, nice view and a 4 minute trip to the top. Most taxi drivers will try to sell you a panorama tour, they will ask for 300 Kuna and up. More interesting is to walk and enjoy all the sites.

The wall has two major entrance points, first and the best choice is closest to the Pile gate entrance and is called "Spas". You can walk the sea side, pass the old port and arrive at Ploce entrance/exit which is closest to Rectors Palace and is the half way point. If you choose to enter at Ploce, you will walk the land side which is the most difficult with the majority of the 1,080 steps.

With the exception of fresh fish which is priced by the kilo, including the head, our local food is considered inexpensive. You will find most of our konabas are priced the same and offer the exact same dishes. Dirty macaroni, grilled baby squid, civapacici and good choices. If you want a view, then pick a konaba near the water, however most are not the best choices. A view does not necessarily mean a great meal.

The old part of town is filled with tacky souvenir shops where most of the junk is imported from China. You need to get off the Stradun, our main promenade, to find the few locally owned shops for handmade items. Please do not barter, it is not an acceptable custom here. Enjoy your time here.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

All historical and cultural sites are open on Sunday, including cable car and wall. Your arrival date is good, only one other ship in port is Norwegian Jade arrival at 1400. Listed below is our Dubrovnik accurate port site for arrivals.

You will find taxis lined up at the port waiting to transport you to the Pile old town entrance for 75 Kuna. It is by the far the most convenient method to arrive in town. Forget using Euros, the only legal currency of the country is Croatian Kuna. Up to you if you want to ask the driver to drive you up the goat path to the top of Srd. Personally I rather enjoy the cable car ride, nice view and a 4 minute trip to the top. Most taxi drivers will try to sell you a panorama tour, they will ask for 300 Kuna and up. More interesting is to walk and enjoy all the sites.

The wall has two major entrance points, first and the best choice is closest to the Pile gate entrance and is called "Spas". You can walk the sea side, pass the old port and arrive at Ploce entrance/exit which is closest to Rectors Palace and is the half way point. If you choose to enter at Ploce, you will walk the land side which is the most difficult with the majority of the 1,080 steps.

With the exception of fresh fish which is priced by the kilo, including the head, our local food is considered inexpensive. You will find most of our konabas are priced the same and offer the exact same dishes. Dirty macaroni, grilled baby squid, civapacici and good choices. If you want a view, then pick a konaba near the water, however most are not the best choices. A view does not necessarily mean a great meal.

The old part of town is filled with tacky souvenir shops where most of the junk is imported from China. You need to get off the Stradun, our main promenade, to find the few locally owned shops for handmade items. Please do not barter, it is not an acceptable custom here. Enjoy your time here.

http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

http://www.dubrovnikcablecar.com/

Thanks for all your valuable information. I have been lurking and following your comments. One question I have is: Can you stop the walk along the wall at any point, or can we exit half way? My husband is mobile, but if he is having back issues that day we are there, he won't be able to walk the complete circuit. From the port information the day we are there, it looks like we will be one of six ships in port! :eek: (early June)

I look forward to your comments.

Julie

Thanks for all your valuable information. I have been lurking and following your comments. One question I have is: Can you stop the walk along the wall at any point, or can we exit half way? My husband is mobile, but if he is having back issues that day we are there, he won't be able to walk the complete circuit. From the port information the day we are there, it looks like we will be one of six ships in port! :eek: (early June)

I look forward to your comments.

Julie

Going up on the wall at the main entrance (spas) is the best choice. There are 87 steps to reach the top, very small platform about half way to rest. Walking is only counter clockwise, which means you will walk the sea side. Once you reach the half way point at Ploce, it is your best choice to descend back into the old town. There's no need to walk the entire circuit, so many more sites inside the walls to visit. Enjoy your time and please do continue to lurk...

• 4 weeks later...

Glad dubrovnik lady mentioned port website, as I was going to do that. Cruisett isn't always correct for port calls. That tourism site she mentioned is excellent, too, as is an In Your Pocket online guide (go to IYP main site for Dubrovnik, then look at left side of page). Tom's Port Guide is also good for Dubrovnik.

Rick Steves suggests getting on the wall at Ploce Gate as it's much less crowded there, plus the hardest part (walking up to Minceta Tower) is first. Of course, the hardest part may not be what your husband needs, so in a way it may not be a good choice for YOU GUYS. However, if you do get on there, and can make it up there, at least when you hit the next exit you'll be near Pile Gate, where there are buses, cabs, a shuttle if your ship arranges one, etc. Once you get off, you can't go back on the wall. I would go early or late due to heat, too many people later, etc. I'm not sure if you can use a credit card at the Ploce entrance, so you may need kunas there. (I plan to definitely have kunas - will just get a small amount for an ATM).

Dubrovnik Lady, I have a couple questions I'll post in a little while. Thanks for helping us travelers!

Edited by roothy123

Interesting facts about the wall. There are a grand total of 1,080 steps including entrances. The most difficult part is from the Ploce entrance, although only 35 steps to reach the top there, the balance of the trip is all uphill with the majority of steps. Personally the land side does nothing for me, as the views are rooftops. However entering at Pile, 87 steps to the top with a rest platform half way, is the best of both worlds. Just above the sea, views of the rooftops and Lokrom Island off in the distance. I have always preferred to get the worst part over in the beginning...getting to the top and always enter at Pile.

Even if back issues aren't present, I think the good information about walking just the sea side is what we will do. Would like to stroll around old town and try to do some shopping. It's fun to walk around the souvenir shops, even with "made in China" stuff, but will seek out the back streets for authentic items! We got enough Asian things when we were there last year! ;)

Looking forward to this adventure!

Julie

Going up on the wall at the main entrance (spas) is the best choice. There are 87 steps to reach the top, very small platform about half way to rest. Walking is only counter clockwise, which means you will walk the sea side. Once you reach the half way point at Ploce, it is your best choice to descend back into the old town. There's no need to walk the entire circuit, so many more sites inside the walls to visit. Enjoy your time and please do continue to lurk...

How long does it take to walk the 87 steps assuming one is fit?

Edited by envy4u

How long does it take to walk the 87 steps assuming one is fit? The whole thing?

Edited by envy4u

How long does it take to walk the 87 steps assuming one is fit? The whole thing?

Getting up to the top is not difficult, I go very slowly and it takes me about 10 minutes with a small rest stop about half way up. Walking the sea side only, which is half, normally takes me one hour since I stop along the way to take photos. I have seen people who just power walk the wall, never stop for any photos nor views, they can do the entire circuit in 45 minutes. Walking the wall can take as long as you desire.