Alamo pick up at AJ Dock in Juneau?

TATraveler

Hi,

I know Avis is in downtown Juneau, but the story recently circulating about them being a bit shady isn't new. I've seen the story on a very positive trip report someone wrote, where Avis "upsold" an SUV for a mini-car. This seems to be the norm, rather than the exception. I'd rather use someone else.

Alamo rents through Costco and their rate is good. I called them and a person with a very thick foreign accent said that they could pick us up and drop us off. Nothing against his accent, I just feared a communication barrier. I called Costco (where I would rent the car) and they don't know anything about a pick up policy.

Anyone have experience with Alamo in Juneau and their pick up/drop off policy -- in 2015, since these things change every year? They don't seem to have a kiosk at AJ Dock anymore. (And I'm one step ahead of you if you're going to suggest Juneau Car Rentals. They appear to be at the airport now and also don't pick up anymore.)

Thanks for any info. We have 12 hours in port in May. I was hoping to do a bunch of sight seeing, but if I'm going to spend 2 hours just dealing with the car, I might just opt for Mendenhall and hotdogs at the Costco, and spend my tourism dollars elsewhere (very unhappy with how tourist-unfriendly Juneau seems for being a town very much supported by tourism).

Sorry to vent. Thank you in advance for any help.

Hi,

I know Avis is in downtown Juneau, but the story recently circulating about them being a bit shady isn't new. I've seen the story on a very positive trip report someone wrote, where Avis "upsold" an SUV for a mini-car. This seems to be the norm, rather than the exception. I'd rather use someone else.

Alamo rents through Costco and their rate is good. I called them and a person with a very thick foreign accent said that they could pick us up and drop us off. Nothing against his accent, I just feared a communication barrier. I called Costco (where I would rent the car) and they don't know anything about a pick up policy.

Anyone have experience with Alamo in Juneau and their pick up/drop off policy -- in 2015, since these things change every year? They don't seem to have a kiosk at AJ Dock anymore. (And I'm one step ahead of you if you're going to suggest Juneau Car Rentals. They appear to be at the airport now and also don't pick up anymore.)

Thanks for any info. We have 12 hours in port in May. I was hoping to do a bunch of sight seeing, but if I'm going to spend 2 hours just dealing with the car, I might just opt for Mendenhall and hotdogs at the Costco, and spend my tourism dollars elsewhere (very unhappy with how tourist-unfriendly Juneau seems for being a town very much supported by tourism).

Sorry to vent. Thank you in advance for any help.

National was the official office at the AJ dock. They did do crossover Alamo rentals, but closed several years ago. Did you call the Alamo Juneau office directly? Asking this information of Costco is a waste of time. If you didn't get your information, then call back. Up through last season NONE of the airport rental offices, -where Alamo would be, picked up downtown.

Did you call and talk to Juneau Car rental? The downtown location was open the cruise season and seasonal. This has been discontinued? I do think your focus on a few negative posts doesn't address the thousands of positive rental experiences, with Avis. This location is the most convenient.

If you use an airport rental, you can take the city bus to the airport, allow at least an hour upon return, or a cab.

National was the official office at the AJ dock. They did do crossover Alamo rentals, but closed several years ago. Did you call the Alamo Juneau office directly? Asking this information of Costco is a waste of time. If you didn't get your information, then call back. Up through last season NONE of the airport rental offices, -where Alamo would be, picked up downtown.

Did you call and talk to Juneau Car rental? The downtown location was open the cruise season and seasonal. This has been discontinued? I do think your focus on a few negative posts doesn't address the thousands of positive rental experiences, with Avis. This location is the most convenient.

If you use an airport rental, you can take the city bus to the airport, allow at least an hour upon return, or a cab.

Yes, I did call Alamo Juneau directly. The person I spoke with told me he was located in Juneau (Or at least I think he did. See my original post about language barrier issues. I could barely understand him). I called Costco Travel as a last resort, thinking maybe someone could tell me something interesting.

Juneau Car Rental is a bit moot, anyway. Given that we want to go all the way up to end of the road, I don't really trust some of their vehicles, after hearing that they rent cars with 180,000 miles etc.

I think if I hadn't heard the exact same problem with Avis numerous times, I wouldn't be as concerned. But it seems to be their policy to not reserve the cars people ask for and to charge more than the quoted price. Maybe the people writing positive reviews don't mind this.

I guess I'll rely on the bus, at least for transportation to the airport. Then if Alamo shafts me on their promise to shuttle me back, we can take a bus or cab. Or we'll skip the car and do the Mendenhall and Costco hotdog tour ;-). Shuttle out to Mendenhall and city bus back, and skip the rest of what I wanted to see. City bus might allow us to visit with the locals. But if it's as frustrating as it feels right now, I won't be visiting Juneau again (like I thought I would, sigh). Alaska is really, really hard. The reason I opted for a round trip cruise is because the Kenai Peninsula was so hard. Maybe it's nobody's fault. It is what it is.

Anybody want to buy a couple of cruise tickets? ;-). Only halfway kidding.

Thanks, Budget Queen. I've seen several of your helpful posts. You are a wealth of information.

Yes, I did call Alamo Juneau directly. The person I spoke with told me he was located in Juneau (Or at least I think he did. See my original post about language barrier issues. I could barely understand him). I called Costco Travel as a last resort, thinking maybe someone could tell me something interesting.

Juneau Car Rental is a bit moot, anyway. Given that we want to go all the way up to end of the road, I don't really trust some of their vehicles, after hearing that they rent cars with 180,000 miles etc.

I think if I hadn't heard the exact same problem with Avis numerous times, I wouldn't be as concerned. But it seems to be their policy to not reserve the cars people ask for and to charge more than the quoted price. Maybe the people writing positive reviews don't mind this.

I guess I'll rely on the bus, at least for transportation to the airport. Then if Alamo shafts me on their promise to shuttle me back, we can take a bus or cab. Or we'll skip the car and do the Mendenhall and Costco hotdog tour ;-). Shuttle out to Mendenhall and city bus back, and skip the rest of what I wanted to see. City bus might allow us to visit with the locals. But if it's as frustrating as it feels right now, I won't be visiting Juneau again (like I thought I would, sigh). Alaska is really, really hard. The reason I opted for a round trip cruise is because the Kenai Peninsula was so hard. Maybe it's nobody's fault. It is what it is.

Anybody want to buy a couple of cruise tickets? ;-). Only halfway kidding.

Thanks, Budget Queen. I've seen several of your helpful posts. You are a wealth of information.

Juneau Car Rental, well maintains their cars, and I have not heard of them breaking down. With all your time in port, A breakdown, frankly can happen with ANY car rental. Since you have strong feelings against Avis, then don't use them- simple solution. Be mindful of the times of the city bus, it's likely only once per hour, and know where the pick up area is.

I would also suggest you again call Juneau direct. IF you can't understand someone, then ask to speak to the manager perhaps? As I mentioned earlier, in the past, Alamo never shuttled downtown.

I have a rental with Juneau Car Rental for this June. Pickup will be at AJ Dock. I made the reservation in February via the phone, and confirmed pickup location, got a map, and a list of suggested areas to go see. Very nice person on the other end that took the reservation - you can only do this on the phone.

Like mentioned, you might want to call, because I am 99.999% sure they will be there (or I will have a long walk for nothing). :)

Just a suggestion, but you might be focused too much on the negative reviews. Every car rental company will collect some negative reviews as that is a tough business model. I expect it is even tougher in a land locked city with 10,000+ visitors every day that are in a hurry to get their days in. You might want to balance them with the positive ones too. By the way, city buses can break down too. :)

Edited by brentp