Family Oceanview Cabin Explorer

i was told by a RCCL person when hunting for prices on certain cabins, that the FO is nice, but you get more room with 2 adjoining cabins and get the benefit of 2 bathrooms. In order to book the FO you need 5 people too. That is a lot of people in that cabin sharing one bathroom.

RCI is letting me book it with only 2 people. They're $200 more than a standard inside and actually less than the regular oceanview rooms (smaller) on this particular sailing. I thought the room(s) were priced this way because they are located forward (not aft) which isn't an ideal location.

i was told by a RCCL person when hunting for prices on certain cabins, that the FO is nice, but you get more room with 2 adjoining cabins and get the benefit of 2 bathrooms. In order to book the FO you need 5 people too. That is a lot of people in that cabin sharing one bathroom.

No I was mistaken I meant forward. I wonder about the pros and cons of this location. I'm not a sit on the balcony type person so I really don't want one but I do need to be able to see outside because I'm a tad bit claustrophoic.

I think the Family Oceanviews are at the very front of the ship. My sister had one once. They have no balcony -- just large portholes

Did you mean Royal Family Suites, instead? Those are at the aft, I believe.

We were in cabin 9200 on the Voyager of the seas 2 years ago. It was wonderful. There were 5 us of total in the room, myself, hubby and 3 children. We had plenty of room (the kids loved their seperate bunk bed room - kids were in grades 4 &5 when we cruised) and the view through the large windows was AMAZING!! We are booked for the Mariner 1/2/06, and the family stateroom was not available:( So we have decided on and booked a JS and a interior - I am sure we will enjoy the balcony, but we had so much room in the family oceanview, that I am a little afraid that I am going to be dissapointed. But, truthfully - who can be dissapointed on a cruise ship for 6 wonderful nights. :D

It's great to hear that the windows aren't tiny. Was there any extra motion or noise being that far forward?

We were in cabin 9200 on the Voyager of the seas 2 years ago. It was wonderful. There were 5 us of total in the room, myself, hubby and 3 children. We had plenty of room (the kids loved their seperate bunk bed room - kids were in grades 4 &5 when we cruised) and the view through the large windows was AMAZING!! We are booked for the Mariner 1/2/06, and the family stateroom was not available:( So we have decided on and booked a JS and a interior - I am sure we will enjoy the balcony, but we had so much room in the family oceanview, that I am a little afraid that I am going to be dissapointed. But, truthfully - who can be dissapointed on a cruise ship for 6 wonderful nights. :D

Did you say there was a separate room for the kids....like in privacy for the adults in the room? This was not told to me and I specifically asked if the sleeping areas were separated. They told me it was just a bigger stateroom with no separations at all. (They meaning RCCL reservationist)

Inshape-

If you go to the Royal Caribbean website, you can do a 360 tour of the different family oceanview staterooms (Find a cruise tab on home page, then staterooms, then choose oceanview and then family oceanview.) The sizes range from 237-328sq feet depending on the ship. Not all the ships have the family oceanview staterooms - looks like 13 do from the website.

I have my own question for those who have booked this catagory of room: DH and I were considering booking Rhapsody out of Galveston for our family of 6. Our available times to travel are wide open, so I was just looking for any time a family oceanview is available. The problem: on the RC website it shows the rooms as being unavailable from now through April 2007, which is the farthest in advance the website is booking for this ship!!! Is that really possible, or is this a situation where you must book the room directly through an agent rather than online like they require for large parties, parties with children under 3, etc.?

I think you have to do it on the phone with a TA or directly on the phone with RCL. That's what we had to do. They never show as available online. Can't help with a report on it though as we're not going until December, but it sounds good from these reports. Ours is on the Radiance on Deck 8 and I think it's 319 ft. I had looked for some input earlier before booking but didn't get any then.

Thanks soccermommie: I did that awhile ago and saw the door there..so I acutally called them asking them if they were separate. They said NO, it was just a larger room with the bunks on one side. GO figure...you call RCCL directly and they lead you astray. But I do think they said only 5 can reserve this cabin, not 4.

soccermommie

I am taking my five children on the Rhapsody for the second time on Sunday and both will have been in the family stateroom. You have to book either through a travel agent or directly by telephone with Royal Caribbean. You will have 2 separate reservation numbers as the maximum on one is 4 people. Ask if you have any questions.

Our family will be sailing on the Explorer this Sunday in the FO room. I will post a reply when we return to let you know how it was. I am glad you asked the question because I had been looking for answers myself. Happy Sailing

Hope you have a great cruise. We will also be looking forward to your post. Thanks.

I'll be looking forward to your post. I'm most interested in whether there's any extra movement and/or noise.

Our family will be sailing on the Explorer this Sunday in the FO room. I will post a reply when we return to let you know how it was. I am glad you asked the question because I had been looking for answers myself. Happy Sailing

Sorry, it took a little to get back to this board. The bunk beds for the kid are what I would consider to be in it own seperate area - but there is no door. The bunkbed room is just inside the door, following that was then the sofa bed in the main room, then followed by the 2 twins-put together for a queen size bed (I think). There was a curtain that could be pulled between the bed and the sofa bed. We (DH and I) did not notice motion what so ever on our cruise -we are also not the type to have any problems with motion sickness - comes from working in the back of an ambulance for almost 20 years - Most importantly - I never heard any complaints from the kids - and we know how kids can complain if there is to be a problem. I am sure that the rooms between the explorer and the voyager are very close to being the same. Again, I would certainly not hesitate to book the room again, if available - and I am now travelling with 12 and 13 year olds. If you have any further questions,please let me know

We were upgraded from 2 large ocean views to 2 Family Oceanview on our Baltic cruise on the Jewel. In our room we had 3 adults in the other just 2 adults. Our room as far forward as you could go and still be on the side the other was ALL the way forward and looked over the bow. Our room had a large sitting area with a very large round window (there was even a wide ledge that made a very nice window seat). The extra bed area was a small room just off of our bed area. It had a wide entry with no door but a nice thick curtain to seperate the rooms. It had it's own air conditioning control, closet and dresser. Our friend's room had the same kind of side room, their main room had a sitting area and bedroom area and 2 large rectangular windows to look out over the bow. They were slanted like to "face" of the ship. They were requested to keep the curtains shut at night as the light from the windows would shine into the bridge directly above them.

We loved the extra room, noticed only slightly more motion being that far forward when the sea was a bit choppy...and the doorbells were a nice touch!

Lori

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just back from the Explorer today. I am totally exhaused. My four year old got home around 5 and has been asleep for about 4 hours already.

I wanted to give feedback on the FO room. I was impressed with the room. As you walk in t the left is a seperate room for kids to sleep in. Two bunk beds. The room has a drape not a door but it is thick drapre and blocks light. The bathroom is tiny but nice. I love that there is no shower curtain but doors. There is a pull out sofa bed as well as a queen bed. Two large port holes with a spectaular view. You see out front just like you are on the bridge. Ther room has lots of storage, but ehen sofa bed is out there is very limited space. You need to be organized so you want feel so cramped or messy. I did not hear any noise from the room except one morning when we docked the guys washed our windows rather early. We always were able to dock so no anchor noice either. Monday was rough water and you really could feel the rocking of the boat. After the weather calmed, I did not notice the boat moving very much. At night I felt a little movement while in bed, but found it soothing. I will mention my only negative of the entire trip. SMOKING. Our room smelled of smoke and the boat was full so we were stuck with the room. My son as allergies and it was not good for him.

EOS is in dry dock this week and getting a lot of new things. Carpet is being replaced, carpets cleaned, new bedspreads,ect.... A lot of crew members are on vacation this week so they will be ready to have fun when they return. I thought the ship was if good condition so I am sure most of you will find it better than ever after they give it a good fall cleaning this week.

I will post a review of Explorer later this week. The laundry is calling my name.

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Archived