One way cruise from Pier 88

jetsfan

Hey can someone help me work out the best way to do transportation. We are cruising the Splendor to San Juan then will fly home to JFK. We can do private transfers both ways and are not opposed to that. We could drive our car, park, but then how we would get from JFK to Pier 88 to get our car. If we rent a car from our home in the Hudson Valley, are there rental drops off close to por? If we do that will they shuttle us to port? We are seasoned cruisers but have not had this scenario before. I do appreciate any opinions that are offered.

I'm pretty sure you can't park at the pier for a repo. I think it is manned only on days that ships come and go. It is not public parking. You can't do it atCape Liberty.

Most of the major car rentals have locations in the west 40's around 11th & 12th Ave. You could drop off your luggage with the porters, return the car, and walk back to the pier with your carryons or just leave one of you at the pier with your stuff while the other returns the car.

The rental places are not clustered together. Typically they would be within 3/4 of a mile from the pier. You have to look at all the major companies to see where their return location is in relation to the pier. Start with National, Alamo, and Avis which have locations in the West 40's.

We sailed the Splendor in 2013 out of NYC & back, and loved it. How long will you be away do this one-way & how far up are you on the Hudson? Assumed you have "generous" luggage ?? & taking Metro North into Grand Central Station & then a taxi ride to the MCT/Pier 90 is out of the question, correct - and then flying home & from airport to home is another logistics planned out.

None of the car rental places in NYC, near or far from MCT do pier dropoffs or pickups, traffic is just too mad crazy to even try - short taxi ride or walk back to the pier is your option. Just make sure you price out the one-way car rental including dropoff fees & all taxes/charges, etc.

If you aren't too far up on the Hudson, how about a local car service/taxi from your town direct to the pier - or, even price out Carmel or Dial7 car service to see if it's cheaper, going door-to-door? Or, paid a friend or neighbor to 'bribe' her/him to take you & drop off at the pier. Our nephew did that for us last month as they're going to NJ anyway afterward & in exchange, we got him a cartoon of duty-free cigarette on the cruise so a win-win (not that we endorse smoking, but ...)

Another option to consider - drive your own car out to JFK, use the long-term parking or off-airport private lots (as they are cheaper than parking in Manhattan, regardless) for # of days - get a car service (or even yellow taxi, as it's a flat-rate to anywhere in Manhattan, for I believe about $55 + tolls + tips) to go the pier. Just need to budget & allow sufficient travel time & traffic, etec. - on your return to JFK, you go straight to your car, load luggage & start the drive home. ** I don't have the AAA magazine at the moment, but it's around $15 to $20 per 24 hours with fees/taxes, etc. so worth considering - or, you can even do the AirTrain to Jamaica & then LIRR to NY Penn Station, then a cab ride for the rest of the way to the pier (90 minutes to 2 hours at most from JFK).

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...