Stabilizer rating.....plus plus..

Mabers

I posted this on NCL....not much response, so trying here:

I am considering a cruise to Bermuda June 2006..... most suitable 'everything' is the CROWN, but have read about some rough seas and seasickness on that ship.

I have only had 2 recent cruises, and both were smooth as silk, but on bigger ships.

Question.....is the water always rougher Phil. to Bermuda? Does the size of the CROWN contribute to the seasick problem? Stability # is 1798....anybody know what that means?

Thanks,

M.

I think I answered you before but I found the Crown to be very stable and we were on a high deck. Actually I never felt any movement on it. The Crown was built for longer cruises and is IMO a stable ship. But what I might consider stable may be a roller coaster to you. I have NOT found that larger ships are any better. If the water is rough no stabilers will help. What stabilers do is damper the roll(side to side). The up and down is a function of the wave size and the ships ability to go accross them. Bermuda is in the Atlantic not the Carribean and can be rough or smooth depending on the weather and the ocean currents. No one can guarantee you that it won't rock or roll....June is a relatively calm month

I'll second that! Length and gross tonnage, btw, have very little to do with a ship's motion-the old Queen Mary was longer than almost all the ships afloat today and had a sickening movement in a storm. Tonnage is a just a volume measurement..it tells you how much enclosed space there is on a ship, and it doesn't affect stability. Draft does...the amount of ship BELOW the waterline. Ships with a very shallow draft bounce on the surface like corks-say the Norwegian Majesty with her 20 foot draft. That could make you feel sick (if you are inclined to seasickness) in bad weather. Crown has a deep draft for a modern cruise ship--24 feet if memory serves. She's more stable in high seas. The Horizon and Zenith have always had reputations as poor sea boats, that's one reason we chose the Crown to Bermuda! We'll let you know how she fares...

Sid, I wonder why I didn't get your 1st response....as of just now it still hasn't shown up on my post in NCL.....stability goblins, maybe? Anyway thanks for that great info....good stuff!

Edurban, ditto to you re the info.....most informative and appreciated! Smooth sailing! I hereby put a hex on Ophelia....may she be long gone by the time she would affect the CROWN!

Please post back on your return. Meantime I'll go and firm up the reservation on hold for me... June 11th/06...CROWN to Bermuda...me and DD....woo-hoo!

Thanks guys...

M.

Both Zenith and Horizon have 24 foot drafts - same as Crown. QM2 has 32 foot draft - but she's 150,000 tons and 14 stories. I saw your comment that both Horizon and Zenith have reputations as "poor sea boats." I've heard more complaints about Carnival Legend which is considerably larger (and newer) than either Zenith and Horizon. I think a ship's movement is more the result of the seas' direction - kind of like turbulence in an airplane - and is influenced by the design and draft.

Archived