Transatlantic on the Prinsendam

DCParky

That isn't an issue, or she wouldn't have the highest HAL repeater rate.
A lot of her appeal is the longer, unique itineraries. If she did Caribbean run-of-the mill itineraries like the Maasdam but at the higher rates she would lose much of her loyal support.

Edited by jtl513

A lot of her appeal is the longer, unique itineraries. If she did Caribbean run-of-the mill itineraries like the Maasdam but at the higher rates she would lose much of her loyal support.

You could be correct. Then again, her size wouldn't matter as much. A small ship for Europe is wonderful. The only newer HAL ship we've been on is Amsterdam, so I can't compare. I have to say, I wasn't impressed and would choose P'dam over her. I felt the venues for after dinner drinks/music were lacking. I could be wrong...I know we looked for Happy Hour!

I am an OCEANLINER fan and have many sailings on many different lines since the 1970's...saying that I was glad I did the TA on P'dam but wouldn't do it again. And actually I gave up on HAL completely after a cruise on Veendam the following year(we are 4 star mariners). It is quite evident that HAL/ Carnivore has cut back maintenance on these older ships in order to finance the new bigger builds of the next generation - or the floating malls that are HAL ships of today. Along w/ cut backs in staff, food & entertainment the maintenance issue was evident in the worn appearance on the ship & various issues w/ air conditioning & sewage smells is several areas.

Saying that the ship does sail beautifully due to its original build out as a world cruiser. The size is wonderful as its easy to get around & enjoy all aspects of the ship. I am not a fan of these newer ships w/ thousands of passengers & few too crew to serve them. HAL food is average fare & most can find something to eat but its far from gourmet(unless you live on Kraft Macaroni & Cheese while at home). And tho the crews certainly are very nice & pleasant they are stretched so thin as it was uncomfortable at time to see them racing about to complete their assigned tasks whether it was in the dining room and other dining areas, the cabin stewards & the crew on the outside deck.

One issue I find interesting is that many people on these boards seem to searching for bargains & yet expect a first class experience when they are paying $200 per day per couple and sometimes even less....so along w/ the cutbacks by HAL - you must realize you get what you pay for.

If you want to sail on a ship that is surely the last of its kind and can appreciate its physical attributes and enjoys sea days...go ahead. Otherwise the floating mall & super slides etc and thousands of passengers will not be present.

Not for me. I neither love it nor dislike it, just in between and more toward the like side... I would sail her again only for a special itinerary.

I agree with jtl513. My 1st HAL cruise was on the Prisendam last July; I won't be back unless there's a very special itinerary. (That's why I booked last summer.)

I had no issues with service; it was comparable to what I've experienced on other ships.

It was a busy itinerary, so the days were good (I am a 'senior' solo), but after dinner there was little to see/do. I read 7 books in 14 days, even with visiting 10 ports. I've done a 16-day TA; I would not consider that on the P.

Also be aware, the buffet closes at 8-8:30 PM. Only Room Service is available for any post-dinner munchies.

I sincerely hope the cruise works for you.

Edited by DRS/NC
more info

We sailed the P-dam TA in 2013 from Fort Lauderdale to Tilbury and then last fall from Rome to FLL. Both voyages were very good and we enjoyed the small ship atmosphere of the P-dam. There is plenty to do, or nothing, depending upon your preferences. Wouldn't hesitate to sail her again.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the comments.... I know the Prinsendam is an older ship, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it. I'm not a person who is into constant activities or need a sparkly new ship to entertain me, so spending time poolside, or just reading a book on the balcony will be wonderful. I'll let you know my thoughts when November comes! Again, many thanks!

DW just reminded me that when we were on the Prinsendam for 62 days (including 2 TA crossings) one of the most popular activities onboard was "animal toss" (this is true). That being said, on our long Prinsendam cruises we always felt it was a very happy ship (both crew and passengers).

Hank

That activity was called "moose tossing" on our transatlantic on the Prinsendam. We were worried that we would be bored on this ship but we ended up sailing on it or more than 70 days within Europe.

Our favorite things about the Prinsendam are:

- the unique place the smaller ship can visit from the Polar Ice Cap to Bordeaux to the fun ports around the United Kingdom to sailing through the Kiel Canal in the German countryside.

- The Pinnacle Grill is the most beautiful at sea; the single level main dining room is nice also.

- The staff knows you and offers top service.

If you want children's activities, big production shows, or large swimming pools, this is not the ship for you.