any news on explorer?

We are looking to share a taxi ride from Heathrow Airport on Sept.18 to Southampton Cruise port. Traveling on "Explorer of The Seas". Arriving LHR @ 7:40 AM. We have used "Smiths for Airport" in the past and they were very good.

Robert. :)

Try your roll call too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2020561

Hi

We are on Explorer in August and travelling with the in laws so there will be four of us. My wife is concerned about the WJ being very crowded on embarkation day. Is there any other restaurant open for lunch?

Hi

We are on Explorer in August and travelling with the in laws so there will be four of us. My wife is concerned about the WJ being very crowded on embarkation day. Is there any other restaurant open for lunch?

Cafe Promenade will be open.

The pictures look great. Is Giovannis open for lunch, and how much does it cost?

It's open for lunch at $15 per head or dinner in the evening at $20 per head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice on wifi. My eldest daughter is devastated about no wifi but me on the other hand so thankful lol. Getting excited seeing all the pics of the upgrade.

I forgot to reply about the wifi. It's currently much more expensive than the prices quoted in recent threads about wifi. We've paid $242 for 2 devices unlimited, and that includes a 10% crown & anchor discount. Good job its going down as a business expense!!!

Thanks Nik but I think my daughter can wait until our docked days and hopefully the restaurants or cafes we use have free wifi. Thanks for all the photos of the refurb it's great to know what we've got to look forward to. Deb

Does Explorer have the same refresh as what Voyager had last year?

So far, it seems very similar. However, they appear to have excluded the nursery from Explorer.

It looks pretty much identical to Voyager's refit. They promised a nursery on voyager which never happened (cancelled a month out from refit, with many disgruntled cruisers that had booked on that basis) so they have been very tight lipped on whether it would be included in explorer's refit. Suffice to say, feedback so far says no, they haven't added one here either :(

We have tried our Roll Call and Meet & Mingle, no luck so far.

Thanks much.

Robert

Keep trying that Roll Call. Our Roll Call didn't start getting active with regards to shared transportation till a month or two prior to sailing. There is bound to be someone to share since LHR is RCL's primary inbound location for Southampton cruises.

For us, we are staying in London the night before and then boarding a bus from our hotel to Southampton with a stop at Stonehenge. It's put together by International Friends. I found it on the Londontoolkit web site. It seemed convenient enough for us.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Tom

1st timers could anybody tell me the new revised dining options as this has changed so much since we first booked

Only changes I know of are Izumi and Chops being added and Portofino changed to Giovanni, if anything else has changed I would also like to know.

Thanks Nik but I think my daughter can wait until our docked days and hopefully the restaurants or cafes we use have free wifi. Thanks for all the photos of the refurb it's great to know what we've got to look forward to. Deb

I presume you will be visiting France, Spain and Italy and if your daughter has an unlock phone, she might consider getting a '3' pay as you go SIM card and load £10/15 'add on' to it. She will then be able to use the internet on her phone whilst the ship is docked in those countries. No need to find free wifi.

I assume you have to pay extra to eat at Giovannis, Isumzi and chops, is that right. Can you use your drinks package in these restaurants ?

Yeah, drinks packages are usable for drinks in the specialty restaurants, provided your package includes them. Milkshakes in JR are extra as they are not on any package. And the S. Pelligrino sparkling water in Giovanni's was only free if you have premium or above that includes bottled water.

The cover charges for specialty restaurants are:

Giovanni's Table - $20 (15 for lunch)

Chops Grille - $30

Iszumi - no cover charge, but a-la-carte pricing, I.e. you pay for what you choose from the menu.

Johnny Rockets - $4.95

Edited by NikC

Yeah, drinks packages are usable for drinks in the specialty restaurants, provided your package includes them. Milkshakes in JR are extra as they are not on any package. And the S. Pelligrino sparkling water in Giovanni's was only free if you have premium or above that includes bottled water.

The cover charges for specialty restaurants are:

Giovanni's Table - $20 (15 for lunch)

Chops Grille - $30

Iszumi - no cover charge, but a-la-carte pricing, I.e. you pay for what you choose from the menu.

Johnny Rockets - $4.95

Hi Nic

Giovannis looks tempting but not sure even I could tackle four courses & dessert. How would go about buying someone a drink at dinner, would you be able to take it from your drinks package or do you just sign and have it added to your bar tab?