Critique and advice for Seattle plans

Dizzneefan

I am the ringleader of a party of 11 that are going to Alaska in June. We will arrive on Seattle on Saturday, June 6th, and I've got some temporary plans that I wanted to share and ask for you advice.

We will not have an automobile so will using public transportation instead. Our hotel is the Crown Plaza SeaTac. We are buying the Seattle CityPass to visit most of the attractions.

Saturday June 6th, Travel Day

Sunday Use Link Light Rail to go to Pike Place Market, Great Wheel, Aquarium, and Argosy Boat tour. Return to hotel via Link Light Rail.

Monday use Link Light Rail and Monorail to visit Space Needle (morning and night visits) Chihuly Garden and Glass Museum and the EMP Museum (MUST see the Star Wars exhibit!!!). Return to hotel via Link Light Rail/Monorail.

So, does this schedule look doable and am I correct in our modes of transportation? I have looked at the schedule for the Train, and I am not sure which stops I would use. Of course the destination areas are listed but I don't see where it provides what is at each stop. So what are the locations I would be looking for. I am a tourist, but I don't want to LOOK like a tourist!

Edited by Dizzneefan

This is a perfectly reasonable, if somewhat jam-packed schedule. Is there a medal of some kind for completing it all?

You're only going to need to know a couple of Link stops, and two happen to be the start and end of the line. Congratulations! Both days, walk about a block from the hotel, take the elevator and skybridge, and board Link Light Rail to Westlake Center. The trip should take 40 minutes.

On your Market and More Day, exit the station via the 3rd and Pine exit and you'll be three blocks from the Market. There are stairs and elevators from the market that will drop you down to the aquarium/Argosy/Great Wheel level at the waterfront.

On your Needle and North day, follow the signage to Westlake Center itself, ascend to the third floor, and board the Monorail to Seattle Center. All of the attractions you list are a short walk from the Seattle Center monorail station. In fact, the monorail goes right through part of EMP. Reverse the trip to get back to the hotel.

I didn't see a mention of dinner after your market day. You can certainly reverse the trip and return via Westlake Station, but the steepest slopes are from the aquarium end of the waterfront back to Pike/Pine. This is a non-trivial hike. You can trade some grade for distance by walking south along the waterfront before turning back east at either Union or Marion. The other options are to go north. There are also elevators from Alaskan Way(Waterfront) from Bell or Lenora, or from Western at Pike (where you'll exit from the market). Do not underestimate these grade changes. Due to construction and political ineptitude there is currently no transit service connecting the waterfront to the rest of downtown. If you walk south, consider using the University Street or Pioneer Square stations, boarding the trains to the Airport. There is amazing and affordable Asian food within a comfortable walk of the International District/Chinatown station. I am particularly fond of Jade Garden. Please ignore the divey appearance. It's quite good.

Enjoy your visit. The latest entries in the Sticky FAQ at the top of this board have gobs of transit information on fares and schedules.

Thanks for the quick response and great information. No, there is no medal for survival. As you can see by my signature we are Disney fans so we visit the parks commando style (as in full speed ahead, not sans undies) so completing the visits will be the rewards.

We have not yet discussed places to eat, so you suggestions have automatically moved to the top of the list.

Thanks again!

I don't think your plan looks too busy. It will be light until 9/9:30pm so take advantage of the long days and do it all !! My only suggestion ... the Market is mobbed on weekends so possibly go first thing Monday morning, otherwise know that it will be uncomfortable by 11am on Sunday.

If the weather is good, you might want to squeeze in a water taxi to Alki Beach in West Seattle. It provides wonderful skyline views of the city. And there are some interesting restaurants closeby. Dinner and sunset views? There are often seals on the buoys by Salty's Restaurant; look for the resident bald eagles in West Seattle.

Here's an old thread about the water taxi with a few photos,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2015908&highlight=alki

You might also want to squeeze in a visit to the Klondike Goldrush Museum in Pioneer Square, then visit the one in Skagway. Free http://www.nps.gov/klse/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

p.s. let your hotel shuttle driver know that you're going to the light rail station; hopefully he'll drop you off by the station rather than inside the airport complex. It will save you a 7-10 minute walk thru the parking garage.

Edited by mapleleaves

The monorail has had major work done since then and has become highly reliable again. If it were to go offline, there are several bus routes out of downtown Seattle that can be caught just two blocks away that will deliver riders right to any of the Seattle Center attractions in question.

They're doing the Argosy Harbor Cruise on the City Pass, which probably gives a similar view to the water taxi, just FYI.

Also, the Red Robin at the Argosy dock is a nice place for a harbor-view lunch. And if time and you enjoy coffee, the Starbucks on the 40th floor of the Columbia Tower is a fun place to grab a cup. Nice view too. I think they're probably closed on weekends.

Edited by TATraveler

The monorail has had major work done since then and has become highly reliable again. If it were to go offline, there are several bus routes out of downtown Seattle that can be caught just two blocks away that will deliver riders right to any of the Seattle Center attractions in question.

That's good to know. It was a fun ride when I used it.