Venice port duty free

meduza

Am banging my head trying to make it work but my recollection (we have been to that port about 6 or 7 times) is that there is no duty-free shop in the port. We normally buy wine at the COOP market (a small supermarket) located within walking distance from the Piazzale Roma. They have a few shelves of wine (at very good prices) located at the back of the store. There are lots of places to buy wine in Venice including a few places where you can fill your own bottles (they have better wines than you would expect). Here is a cute old article that talks about some of the local wine shops:

http://www.charmingitaly.com/article/the-vinaie-of-venice

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Am banging my head trying to make it work but my recollection (we have been to that port about 6 or 7 times) is that there is no duty-free shop in the port. We normally buy wine at the COOP market (a small supermarket) located within walking distance from the Piazzale Roma. They have a few shelves of wine (at very good prices) located at the back of the store. There are lots of places to buy wine in Venice including a few places where you can fill your own bottles (they have better wines than you would expect). Here is a cute old article that talks about some of the local wine shops:

http://www.charmingitaly.com/article/the-vinaie-of-venice

Hank

Thank you for this article link! We are heading to Napa for our 4th time in June, and the other couple we are going to Italy with is just as much into wine as we are. I was hoping to find places like these during our 3 days in Venice this fall.

Thank you for this article link! We are heading to Napa for our 4th time in June, and the other couple we are going to Italy with is just as much into wine as we are. I was hoping to find places like these during our 3 days in Venice this fall.

Ahh, fellow Oenophiles. DW and I never tire of visiting wine areas and vineyards when we travel. So we will mention the wine road (S222) that goes between Florence and Siena and takes one through the beautiful countryside of Chianti. For cruisers, this area is a possibility if you have a day in Livorno. Of course that means ignoring Florence (which is an amazing city)...but life is full of these tough decisions.

Hank

Ahh, fellow Oenophiles. DW and I never tire of visiting wine areas and vineyards when we travel. So we will mention the wine road (S222) that goes between Florence and Siena and takes one through the beautiful countryside of Chianti. For cruisers, this area is a possibility if you have a day in Livorno. Of course that means ignoring Florence (which is an amazing city)...but life is full of these tough decisions.

Hank

Hank, please!!! Shhhhh!

We don't want bus tours going down that road!

Hank

Hank, please!!! Shhhhh!

We don't want bus tours going down that road!

I'm definitely coming back to this board when we plan our wine-heavy trip to Europe, which I know will probably be on the books sometime in the next 5 years. I have a feeling, like our first trip to Napa, that this short time in Italy is just going to whet our appetites for further exploration:)

through the beautiful countryside of Chianti. For cruisers, this area is a possibility if you have a day in Livorno. Of course that means ignoring Florence (which is an amazing city)...but life is full of these tough decisions.

Hank

That's exactly what we are doing.................it was a tough decision to make as we haven't been to Florence - yet, however, DH will be "done" with museums & churches by then :D