Epic Canaries

Gingercruiser

I am just about to book the Epic cruise on the 29th November to the Canaries. Has anyone on the forum been on a cruise at this time of year to this area as I am slightly worried about the weather (cold/wet?)

We sailed mid-November... many sunny days...cool nights, no rain.

We sailed the end of Oct/first of Nov. Weather was cool and over cast. The Canaries are very different...we enjoyed the islands but in no hurry to return. Madeira was on my bucket list. It was beautiful but not worth plane fare from the US.

We were on the Spirit December 6-16, 2014. Weather was dry, except was sprinkling part of the day during our shore excursion to the Alhambra, Malaga.

Most days were short or long sleeves, with a few light jackets thrown in.

Sprinkled one day in Barcelona. But there are folks selling the small umbrellas every time rain shows up.

Great cruise. ;)

I'm booked on this on the 3rd Jan 2016. Its a cheap option coming from the UK as the flights are a steal that time of the year. Whatever the weathers like, its got to be better than here!

totally agree with you anything has got to be better than being in the UK early jan when that post holiday season gloom kicks in ;)

if it helps our friends across the water, over here we do view the canaries and the costas of spain as winter sun destinations it's probably not too dissimilar to those from your colder states who head to florida (I think the term is snowbirds ?)

I'm going to be happy with just the no cooking, cleaning or bed making bit then add in that UBD and UDP hey that sounds very much like a holiday to me, i wont care if it rains at all :D

We did this cruise over new years, from December 28 to January 6, and the weather was nice and sunny during the day most days. Temperatures during the day between 20°C/68°F and 25°C/77°F, in the evening it dropped to maybe 16-17°C/61-63°F. There might have been a few rain showers, but if that was the case, they must have been very few and not lasted long - because I do NOT remember it....:)

totally agree with you anything has got to be better than being in the UK early jan when that post holiday season gloom kicks in ;)

if it helps our friends across the water, over here we do view the canaries and the costas of spain as winter sun destinations it's probably not too dissimilar to those from your colder states who head to florida (I think the term is snowbirds ?)

I'm going to be happy with just the no cooking, cleaning or bed making bit then add in that UBD and UDP hey that sounds very much like a holiday to me, i wont care if it rains at all :D

Google says it should be about 15-20 degrees c which is fine by me! :cool:

We were there in mid November 2014 and it rained at least a little bit every single day of our cruise. On some days it wasn't so bad, maybe a 1/2 hour. On others, it went all ways. On one day, it was pretty miserable, with heavy downpour, sunny break, then cloudy, then light rain (but not drizzle), then sunny, then another heavy downpour, then drizzle, then nice and sunny as we left the port. :(

The almanac information indicates that it's sunny almost year round (less than a month's worth of non-sunny days, not all in or around November!), so the chances are pretty good that you'll have OK weather, but it really depends on your luck at that stretch and unfortunately November is too far right now to have any sense on what it might be.

So if it is wet, it will be cool as well, and don't forget the wind as well. I would suggest bringing a waterproof light jacket with a thin quick-dry sweater just in case - you'll probably end up wearing it at night outdoors anyway, even if it's sunny skies.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO