CruiseXLife Takes Liberty- Maiden San Juan to Southern Caribbean Photo Review

cruisexlife

Loved your review! The pictures really make the review come alive - we are leaving on this itinerary Sunday and can't wait! We haven't been on a cruise in 4 years so I've enjoyed catching up on the boards with the changes! Thanks for putting the time and effort into this!:)

I'm so sad to see your review come to an end. :( The southern itinerary out of San Juan is definitely my all time favorite. As far as Caribbean cruises go, we've been on two western (one of those on Liberty last year); one eastern (Glory); two southern out of San Juan. Our first was on Carnival Festivale in 1992 and not much in the way of pictures since it was only film cameras then. We went again in May 2013 on Valor with two new islands (St. Lucia & St. Kitts) and definitely made up for the lack of pictures the first time around and took around 3000. We'll definitely be doing this itinerary again and hopefully soon. Your review...LOVED IT and I really enjoy the pictures you get. I hope you get enlargements of some of them and hang them up on a wall for display. The pictures you got from the plane are also very nice. We were on the left side of the plane flying into San Juan but were on the right side on the way back. I chose the right for our flight back only because the planes coming into Dulles fly over our neighborhood if the wind is in the right direction (not as low as Maho Beach though) and we were able to see our house from the plane on the way in and was able to get pictures. We also flew over Nags Head, NC, a place we've been to many times. I'll definitely see to it that we are on the right side of the plane flying out of San Juan next time. Thanks for that tip and thank you for taking the time to do another review and I can't wait until you take another cruise and do another review.

I want to thank you so much for being such an active reader throughout, I loved when I saw a comment from you, I was always able to learn or relate from them. I also want to thank you for your compliments, they mean a lot and I'm glad that my review was to your liking! I will make sure I hang some of these up soon, but right now I'm preparing for my long weekend on Splendor, and then my 2.5 weeks in Europe! :D There will definitely be a review for my Splendor cruise, and since you haven't cruised to Canada, I would look out for it!

Loved your review! The pictures really make the review come alive - we are leaving on this itinerary Sunday and can't wait! We haven't been on a cruise in 4 years so I've enjoyed catching up on the boards with the changes! Thanks for putting the time and effort into this!:)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad that you enjoyed the review. You are going to have an amazing time on Liberty this next week, She is such an amazing ship, and these ports are astounding. Especially after a 4-year absence, you will really enjoy your time aboard. Thanks for reading, try and report back and tell me how it was! :D

I want to thank you so much for being such an active reader throughout, I loved when I saw a comment from you, I was always able to learn or relate from them. I also want to thank you for your compliments, they mean a lot and I'm glad that my review was to your liking! I will make sure I hang some of these up soon, but right now I'm preparing for my long weekend on Splendor, and then my 2.5 weeks in Europe! :D There will definitely be a review for my Splendor cruise, and since you haven't cruised to Canada, I would look out for it!

Believe me, I've really enjoyed following along. I don't have a cruise planned anytime soon and the only way I can get a "cruise fix" is to hop on CC and read me some reviews...and I read a lot of reviews! :D I only "discovered" CC about a month before our Glory cruise in 2010. We were on the eastern and Grand Turk was one of our stops and it was a new port for us. I was doing an internet search on Grand Turk when I stumbled upon CC...even in that month left of planning, it was a BIG help. After that cruise I discovered the "Carnival boards"...AND picture reviews. :D CC and reviews by others have been a BIG help in getting the most out of our past two cruises. I always get useful tips and great ideas for things to do/places to see in ports.

No, we've never been to Canada on a cruise before. We'd like to someday, out of NYC. There's also Alaska which we'd love to do but that will have to wait several more years. With a cruise to Canada, we can easily "train it" or drive to NYC and do a long weekend, like you're doing. I didn't realize you had this one booked, but see it in your countdown clock...I may have just missed it. Even though we haven't been to Canada on a cruise yet, I'll definitely be following along, so you know I'll be looking for it and looking forward to it! :D I hope you have a great time on both your Splendor cruise and your 2.5 weeks in Europe.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Believe me, I've really enjoyed following along. I don't have a cruise planned anytime soon and the only way I can get a "cruise fix" is to hop on CC and read me some reviews...and I read a lot of reviews! :D I only "discovered" CC about a month before our Glory cruise in 2010. We were on the eastern and Grand Turk was one of our stops and it was a new port for us. I was doing an internet search on Grand Turk when I stumbled upon CC...even in that month left of planning, it was a BIG help. After that cruise I discovered the "Carnival boards"...AND picture reviews. :D CC and reviews by others have been a BIG help in getting the most out of our past two cruises. I always get useful tips and great ideas for things to do/places to see in ports.

No, we've never been to Canada on a cruise before. We'd like to someday, out of NYC. There's also Alaska which we'd love to do but that will have to wait several more years. With a cruise to Canada, we can easily "train it" or drive to NYC and do a long weekend, like you're doing. I didn't realize you had this one booked, but see it in your countdown clock...I may have just missed it. Even though we haven't been to Canada on a cruise yet, I'll definitely be following along, so you know I'll be looking for it and looking forward to it! :D I hope you have a great time on both your Splendor cruise and your 2.5 weeks in Europe.

I love reading other reviews to get my dose of cruising! To be honest, if every moment I spent on Cruise Critic from the start of my review on was spent solely writing my review, it would've been done in 2 weeks! I cannot get enough of this site! :D

You will like Canada if you ever decide to go, lots of natural beauty. Sunshine is doing 4 and 5 nights in 2016 if you decide that you want to go then. But Saint John and Halifax are some really cool places! :D

Thank you, I will make the most out of both trips, wish their was a site in which I could review my Europe trip! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for taking time to do this review! I just found it today and read it all. I loved the pictures as they make me feel like I am reliving the trip. We'll be on the Liberty in October (similar itinerary; the 6 day with Dominica), but we were on Victory with this itinerary last January. Thank you also for the ship pictures! I love to dream about being on the ship and pictures help =) Our last cruise we waited on board until we were about the last people and we had a great time looking into the empty rooms/suites that we'll never be able to afford =)

Thank you for taking time to do this review! I just found it today and read it all. I loved the pictures as they make me feel like I am reliving the trip. We'll be on the Liberty in October (similar itinerary; the 6 day with Dominica), but we were on Victory with this itinerary last January. Thank you also for the ship pictures! I love to dream about being on the ship and pictures help =) Our last cruise we waited on board until we were about the last people and we had a great time looking into the empty rooms/suites that we'll never be able to afford =)

Glad was able to help with the daydreaming, and that you enjoyed the review! Even when we are at sea and the crew is cleaning a room, I always look in out of curiosity just to see what I'm (not really) missing out on.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for reading! :D

• 1 month later...

Don't exactly know what this was but it deserves a share.

DSCF4882_zpsz9fyxjiz.jpg

Such a great review! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I'm definitely putting this itinerary on my very short list of cruises. Not sure I can make it happen before Liberty moves on, though ironically I'm booked on the Fascination repositioning cruise from Jacksonville to San Juan.

I have to comment on this picture...I know the restaurant Mark's Place wasn't the focus, but it's an awesome place to eat despite being not much more than a strong tent set up in the parking lot of a grocery store. We visit St. Maarten almost every year and this is always our stop for dinner on the first night there. If you ever take a longer trip to St. Maarten, I highly recommend it.

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. We are going on this cruise in two weeks with our daughter as a graduation/off to college present. I booked last minute so I am behind with the excursions, but it is really nice to see what the ports look like to help get my bearings. I appreciate all your notes, as we haven't been on a cruise for 10 years, and we all are pretty excited.

I am really struggling with what to do and where to stay in San Juan...we are coming from California on the red eye actually Friday night to arrive Saturday morning so we don't have to worry about flight issues, but I cant decide what to do for our day in a half in San Juan.

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review. We are going on this cruise in two weeks with our daughter as a graduation/off to college present. I booked last minute so I am behind with the excursions, but it is really nice to see what the ports look like to help get my bearings. I appreciate all your notes, as we haven't been on a cruise for 10 years, and we all are pretty excited.

I am really struggling with what to do and where to stay in San Juan...we are coming from California on the red eye actually Friday night to arrive Saturday morning so we don't have to worry about flight issues, but I cant decide what to do for our day in a half in San Juan.

Check out my wife's review of our cruise in Oct. 2013 (link is in my signature). We did a lot in San Juan. Maybe that will help. There's a LOT to do there and amazing food/drink!

Such a great review! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I'm definitely putting this itinerary on my very short list of cruises. Not sure I can make it happen before Liberty moves on, though ironically I'm booked on the Fascination repositioning cruise from Jacksonville to San Juan.

I have to comment on this picture...I know the restaurant Mark's Place wasn't the focus, but it's an awesome place to eat despite being not much more than a strong tent set up in the parking lot of a grocery store. We visit St. Maarten almost every year and this is always our stop for dinner on the first night there. If you ever take a longer trip to St. Maarten, I highly recommend it.

After that cruise, I definitely plan on going to St. Maarten on a land trip sometime soon. But I will make sure I check out that restaurant. You are going to have a great cruise on Fascination! :D

Anytime, I'm glad you enjoyed the review, you're in for a great cruise!

As for San Juan, you may want to read my Glory review specifically about what I did in San Juan. Coming in on the redeye, you may be tired, so you could take a nap, and then go to the beach or to the Bacardi factory. but on the half day, you can walk up to El Morro or the other fort by the ships I have yet to visit, and spend the time in the immediate city. There are also many people with lots of experience on the San Juan board!

Check out my wife's review of our cruise in Oct. 2013 (link is in my signature). We did a lot in San Juan. Maybe that will help. There's a LOT to do there and amazing food/drink!

Thank you for the tip....her review is amazing also. one of my choices was the marriot courtyard or the sheraton... like her really want to make this vacation perfect so it is hard making decisions. Beach or city convenience can you see ....why i had to book a cruise..... it is hard to make decisions :)

Anytime, I'm glad you enjoyed the review, you're in for a great cruise!

As for San Juan, you may want to read my Glory review specifically about what I did in San Juan. Coming in on the redeye, you may be tired, so you could take a nap, and then go to the beach or to the Bacardi factory. but on the half day, you can walk up to El Morro or the other fort by the ships I have yet to visit, and spend the time in the immediate city. There are also many people with lots of experience on the San Juan board!

Thanks ...I am off to read the glory review.....I am really worried about being tired when we get there so I want to be able to 'relax' before the vacation begins :)

I probably am going to do a beach hotel so we can hang....do the kayak tour on the Saturday night and probably a day snorkel tour Sunday. They appear to be over at 3 and we can go the boat after the full day tour.

How come Carnival doesn't offer more from San Juan like RC does, were doing an 8 day out of PR on Adventure doing Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco, Antigua and St Maarten?

Carnival has historically made better profit off of the 4-7 night cruises from Florida, so they would rather keep the ships doing those routes than a route that's iffy. I personally wish Carnival did it like this:

Sunday: San Juan

Monday: Port

Tuesday: Port

Wednesday: Port

Thursday: Port

Friday: Barbados

Saturday: Sea Day

Sunday: San Juan

That way, the 4 ports in the middle could shuffle every cruise and change things up, causing more to return to the Southern route. Also, with Americans now being able to board in Barbados, that will allow it to be easier for many with flights and resort stays leaving on a Friday. One cruise could do St.Thomas/Antigua/Dominica/Martinique and another could do Tortola/St.Maarten/St.Kitts/St.Lucia, both finishing in Barbados.

Just my preference though :D

Thanks ...I am off to read the glory review.....I am really worried about being tired when we get there so I want to be able to 'relax' before the vacation begins :)

I probably am going to do a beach hotel so we can hang....do the kayak tour on the Saturday night and probably a day snorkel tour Sunday. They appear to be over at 3 and we can go the boat after the full day tour.

Sounds perfect. You're in for a great cruise! :D

• 1 month later...

[\QUOTE] We also stopped for a postcard and a bottle of wine for my neighbor for driving us to and from the airport. From 3:30 To about 4:15, we sat at our gate, and waited for boarding.

ok, since you had already checked your luggage where did you put the wine? I have always thought you couldn't put it in your carry on.

We also stopped for a postcard and a bottle of wine for my neighbor for driving us to and from the airport.

ok, since you had already checked your luggage where did you put the wine? I have always thought you couldn't put it in your carry on.

Since we bought it in the airport, we put it in our carryon. You cannot put any wine in your carryon before security, but after is okay. You're just responsible if it breaks.