P&O Question

reilly1

Apologies if anyone thinks I should not be on this thread!

So, my husband and I are a straight couple and our best friends are a gay couple. We have cruised with them on Celebrity and had a marvellous experience. We have invited them to come on a P&O cruise with us but they have declined, stating that P&O are not gay friendly and do not permit gay weddings on their ships. They are getting married next year themselves (can't wait!) so we totally understand their views. Do any of you know if this is true about P&O?

Once again, apologies if you feel I am highjacking this forum.

We have never sailed on P&O so cannot answer your question, but just wanted to share that we have the same perception of P&O not being gay friendly.

That is why we have never even considered cruising with them.

I don't know if this is down to what I have read or if it is because we see the average P&O passenger as elderly, conservative and almost exclusively British.

I am sure others with actual experience will reply but I can understand why your friends feel this way.

I think that it's great that you come and ask opinions on the G&L board- I think everyone is welcome here:)

Oh dear! I hope they're not all ancient conservatives!! We are inn our 50's but don't act like it. Always last at the Bar on Celebrity.

Thank you for your opinion and the welcome. I came on this forum a couple of years ago and was totally flamed for "gatecrashing". I had not explained that our best friends are gay, as I did not feel the need to justify myself, but somebody took offence!

Our best friends are from Manchester too! We are from outside Belfast but regularly have weekends in Manchester and they come over to Northern Ireland too.

Will report on P&O attitudes to GLBT after our cruise.

No you are definitely not hijacking the thread. I think anyone is welcomed here. If there has been a past incident of someone getting upset over people who are not gay writing here then its a rarity and the problem is with them.

Cannot speak on P&O. As a Canadian, I only have heard of the line but have yet to sail on any of their cruises. I have not heard any negative comments about the line in regards to the outlook of gay passengers. Its actually the first time I've heard this. Not saying it can't or doesn't happen - I am sometimes blissfully unaware with my head in the sand. :D

We've sailed Cunard on cruises where the British passengers far outweigh the number of Americans. Always had a good time and made friends with non-gay couples. We've done quite a few land trips through the UK and have had good experiences. Oh I am sure there is homophobia out there just like anywhere but we've found the UK to be a positive experience for us.

It'll be interesting to know more about whether or not P&O reputation is warranted.

Edited by Bramcruiser

Apologies if anyone thinks I should not be on this thread!

So, my husband and I are a straight couple and our best friends are a gay couple. We have cruised with them on Celebrity and had a marvellous experience. We have invited them to come on a P&O cruise with us but they have declined, stating that P&O are not gay friendly and do not permit gay weddings on their ships. They are getting married next year themselves (can't wait!) so we totally understand their views. Do any of you know if this is true about P&O?

Once again, apologies if you feel I am highjacking this forum.

Hello,

The link below explains the P&O position on the gay marriage situation. We've travelled with P&O many times and never had any homophobic experiences onboard ship. There are always GLBT get togethers on P&O and have met many gay crew members on their ships.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/04/15/no-same-sex-weddings-on-po-cruises/

Cheers,

GlasgowGuy

Thanks for that. Understand now. Glad P&O are welcoming to all. I will let my friends know why and send them the link. Perhaps they will change their minds and join us after all!

Thanks for all the helpful answers.

Add Cunard to the list of cruise lines that doesn't recognize marriage equality; Cunard re-flagged their vessels to the Bahamas, which does not recognize same-sex marriage.

What interesting about the re-flagging was the widespread belief at the time that the real reason for it was so Cunard could maintain their two-tier salary levels, paying non-EU employees on a lower scale than EU employees.

The official reason? Cunard wanted to cash in on the lucrative get-married-on-board trend that was just starting up at the time, and being U.K. flagged wouldn't let them participate.

I had nine voyages on Cunard prior to the re-flagging, and while I can state that while on board my husband and I were always well treated and respected, I've found it difficult initiate a new booking when I know that, in some respects, my friends and the people that I love aren't quite as equal in Cunard's eyes as I might wish.

Edited by Ken_W