Cabin inventory at final payment deadline

tcdtcd

My wife and I and our 9 and 12yo boys are in a mini on the Star in December. Final payment is due Monday. We are interested in moving up to a larger suite should one become available AND if the cost is not prohibitive (lol!).

My question(s) to all you experienced Princess cruisers: With final payment due Monday, (and my assumption being that this would be the most likely time that cabins/suites would open with people cancelling just prior), does Princess immediately put those cabins/suites back into inventory? If so, is there a place to see 'real time' inventory? Or are they held back and offered to those on wait lists?

Yes, we've told our online TA that while we don't want an upgrade within the mini category(we have a covered one), we would like to upgrade (comp or $$$) to a larger suite, and she claims we've been waitlisted for those categories. I'm somewhat skeptical in her aggressively watching the availablility and getting this done, as she seems to be a high-volume, low-service TA who takes forever to get back to us on the few questions/requests that we've had. So I'd like to monitor it myself, if thats possible.

I'm sure we'll enjoy the mini if we're unable to move up to a larger space. I just figured if anything was going to open, now (final payment date) would be the time. Thanks for your help!

My experience when I wanted to upgrade on the Sapphire after final payment date wasn't a good one. I noticed about a week after final payment, balcony pricing went down and wasn't much more than what I paid for an Oceanview. So, I asked my TA to upgrade me and I'd pay the price difference. I was told I could not, the price advertised was for new bookings only. In fact, the only balcony room I was told I could upgrade to were the most expensive ones. He called Princess, tried to bargain with them, but no go.

Princess notoriously puts it's empty cabins on fire sale after final booking date and in effect locks us out of upgrading after final payment at the advertised rates.

That said, Princess is one of my favorite cruise lines. I just don't like the way they handle pricing after final payment. Royal was more flexible.

The full suite prices usually do not fluxuate in costs - they usually don't go down after final payment. If one becomes available - you would be offered one at the going rate (since you are waitlisted). If one becomes available, they will give you the option to accept or decline it, if you decline (and no one else on the waitlist wants it), it will go on sale to the general public.

Just a note - not all the suites will accomodate 4 people, some of them only accomodate 3 people.

Good luck on this.

I totally agree with Coral on this one. I have not seen full suites go down in price even at last minute prices. Princess will usually do a complimentary upgrade to these suites before trying to sell them at a lower rate.

And there is no way to get on any list for the free upgrade, as I know that will probably be your next question. It is the luck of the computer draw if one is available and only the computer knows who will end up in a full suite if it does not sell.

If you really want a full suite, then grab it up if you see it available, paying the full fare, otherwise you will end up in the mini suite you have booked.

Coral and Toto are right! Also, on most of the ships, if not all, only the Vista Suites will accomodate 4 people. I'm not sure if the premium suites will or not, but I know the Penthouse Suites will only accomodate 3 people. These suites never come down in price and are also never included in flash pricing. Definitely look and see if there is anything available for your sailing and grab it if you want one. We love the suites with all the room. There is always 3 of us with our daughter and it is nice to have the larger bathroom and cabin. You will love it.

Hulagirl

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice. We'll see what happens over the next few days at final payment....as well as right before the cruise (as I've seen some recent posts about those lucky last minute upgrades).

We weren't necessarily looking for a free upgrd or flash price (of course we'll gladly accept one lol!), its just that there weren't any larger cabins available when we booked in Feb. And I'm not sure how much more expensive they'll be given that this is a holiday 10-day cruise. Hopefully we'll have the opportunity to at least consider it.

Also does anyone know where you can see real time cabin inventory for a particular cruise so that I can monitor it on my own??

Regarding realtime inventory, I found if I check several different online sites, available cabin numbers may vary so you may get a good feel this way if there are more available than the minimum number displayed and what cabins are avaialble. It does mean time and detective work.

Archived