Kids in June Canada/NE cruise

5Cats

Never cruised Holland, have cruised Princess only so far. Love the idea of Canada/NE cruise in June. We typically avoid cruising in the summer due to volume of kids (summer vacation). This itinerary/cruise line seems less kid-focused.

I would expect some kids, but will it be a lot? We did Princess 4 day California coast cruise over Spring Break and there were so many more people (definitely using the 3 or 4 to a room. Nobody was misbehaving, but you could tell the staff was tired and it was not nearly the "relaxing" vacation I looked forward to.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

Kim

... we have done one summer time cruise on HAL and 2 on Disney ... as might be expected, the Disney cruises were loaded with kids (including our 2 granddaughters) while the HAL cruise had very few kids (at least we did not notice the kids as much on HAL as we did on the Disney cruises) ... we did the HAL Canada/New England cruise in early September, so there were virtually no kids on that cruise ... my best guess is that you will see a few more kids on a June HAL C/NE cruise than you would on a September C/NE cruise but no where near as many as you saw on your Princess spring break cruise ... in general, because of HAL's age demographics, I believe you will see fewer kids on any HAL cruise (regardless of itinerary or time of year) than you would see on any NCL, Carnival, RCI, etc cruise. Bottom line, I think you'll love a June HAL C/NE cruise - go for it!

Rod

Last June I took my 14 year old niece on a Canada/New England cruise. We sailed June 9th (I think) and there were half a dozen or so teenagers. DIdn't notice many younger ones either. It may be busier later in the summer as school had just ended for her the previous week.

Last June I took my 14 year old niece on a Canada/New England cruise. We sailed June 9th (I think) and there were half a dozen or so teenagers. DIdn't notice many younger ones either. It may be busier later in the summer as school had just ended for her the previous week.

... good to hear this, as we are thinking about taking our teenage granddaughters on the C/NE cruise next year in June. Did your niece participate in any of the Club HAL (I think that's its name) activities for teens? If so, what was her impression of them? Do you have any observations to share about good shore excursions for teens? Or any other advice?

Thanks,

Rod

She wasn't planning on spending time at club HAL but ended up spending quite a bit of time there! They did stuff in the evening like go to the shows together. Plus she did do planned activities with them. As for shore excursions, I let her pick them but I had veto rights. Let's see if I can remember what we did. After embarkation (Quebec city) we took off and went to the history museum across the street. don't forget to tell everyone if you do stuff on your own that the grandkids are students. They get in everywhere at reduced prices! Like a whole dollar - whereas I paid like $15 for me. The second day we took a tour that included Montmorecy Falls and maple syrup making. She wanted to learn how to make maple syrup (went all the way to Canada - they make syrup here in Indiana!). The highlight there was eating the maple candy they poured over the snow. Prince Edward Island we visited with a Falcon and wandered the town. Had ice cream and mussels. Sydney we just wandered the town and saw some historical places plus a visit to Tim Hortons. Halifax we went to Peggy's Cove and the Titanic Cemetery (I can't spell today - sorry). Bar Harbor, we wandered andthen went to Acadia National Park. Finally stayed in Boston a few days where we did the Freedom Trail one day and the aquarium another. When we got home she was asking when we were going again - so she had a blast.

I'm taking my nephew in a few years and figure I'll probably hit the forts in Sydney and Halifax with him. I did hear good things about them - but she had no intrest.

Enjoy the trip with the girls!

I've sailed the Boston to Montreal to Boston Maasdam b-to-b over and over again and there are rarely a great many children. No one can promise you what the demographic on any cruise will be but the chances of being overrun with children on that cruise are very low. We also sailed the Boston to Boston seven day cruise at least 3 times and same thing...... a minimal number of children.

ksqueak (Karen),

Thanks for your most helpful comments above - we did most of the things you mentioned when we did the C/NE cruise without the granddaughters but weren't certain if teenaged girls would enjoy them ... your niece is a very lucky girl to have you as her aunt. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this matter.

Rod

Thank you for all the comments. I'm glad nobody took it that we don't like kids - we do. I've only sailed Princess, which isn't really kid-centric, so even when kids were on board, they were well behaved. Even the college kids on spring break were super nice - not drunk or obnoxious - there were just so many more people!

DH and I have done the Princess Canada/NE cruise twice - out of New York (Brooklyn) both times. Princess fares this year seem much higher - and they are offering fewer cruises. Previous years they started at the end of August and went through mid-October. I think now there are 5 or 6 weeklong cruises - definitely fewer.

Unfortunately for us, we have to fly to get to any port (or take a couple day roadtrip). I love living in Nebraska, but cruising isn't as affordable.

We're thinking of flying into Montreal day before cruise and then flying out of Boston day of embarkation. Thought that might be easier with customs and making flights than in the reverse order. I'd read some posts regarding Montreal customs and making flights.

People on these boards are always so helpful and informative! Thank you!!!

Since you will be starting your C/NE cruise in Montreal, I suggest you arrive at least 3 days early so that you can experience that great city properly - Montreal is our favorite non-US city (with Vancouver running a close second) and has so many wonderful things to see and do.

With the very high cost of air travel, we always try to "piggy-back" some pre- and/or post-cruise days on our trips so that we can enjoy another place or 2 without needing to make a separate trip. It really is a shame that none of the cruise lines offer cruises departing from Nebraska or, for that matter, Kentucky - maybe we should start a petition campaign to get HAL to add a departure port in Nebraska or Kentucky or both!

Smooth sailing,

Rod

What is your sail date OP? I teach at a private school outside of Boston and our girls are out on June 12th. You might run into more than a handful of kids with a June sail date. Given that NCL also sails out of Black Falcon terminal and NCL prices are cheaper, I would think families might choose NCL over HAL if they're watching the bottom line.

Last year we went of the Maasdam from Motreal to Boston in June. There was some kids but not that many. My DD was 13 at the time and kept herself occupied. We flew in two days before the cruise to see the sites and to relax. Also the same for leaving Boston, a few days there to also look around and not be rushed. With flying in a few days before, there is no worries about a canceled flight preventing you to embark. $200 for a overnight stay is cheaper than having a flight that day and missing embarkation of a $10k cruise.

We don't have a sail date yet. My DH thinks work will be too busy, but things will be fine w/o him for a week! I'm looking at 5/30/15. I prefer to fly into Montreal (thanks KY for the suggestion) at least a day or two early.

We found out on our 2nd cruise that booking your flight the day of the cruise isn't such a great idea. Especially from Nebraska, there are very few non-stop flights. We got from Omaha to Memphis (i think) and the plane we were supposed to catch was still up east. Apparently it had mechanical issues and wasn't coming. We were unable to get another flight to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami in time for the cruise.

Fortunately, the airline moved us over to Delta, and flew us to the Bahamas at no cost. I did have insurance, but not sure it would have covered if we had to pay for the flights ourselves. I was reimbursed for our hotel in the Bahamas, cab fares and dinner in the Bahamas. We caught the ship the next morning - so our 5 day cruise was a 4 day cruise.

The stress was definitely not worth it! I always tell people here in Nebraska who are planning a cruise to fly out the day before - minimum.

Question about the Maasdam ship. Does it have the outside movies by the pool - like Princess has (Movies Under the Stars)? In the photos, it looked like there may be a big screen by the retreat maybe? It's really one of the things I enjoy about cruising - like a drive-in on water!

Thanks,

Kim

Maasdam is a beautiful ship I've sailed a great many times. Happily (for my taste :)) she does not have an outdoor movie screen. She has a lovely aft pool. The Boston to Montreal to Boston cruises are one of HAL's best short itinerary cruises. :)

Maasdam's sister ship, Veendam, has the big screen aft where there used to be the wonderful pool but last I sailed her, they were not playing movies on that screen. Can't say if they are now.

Edited by sail7seas