QM2 - giving up on transatlantic?

sweethome

I went to the Cunard site today and read a press release stating that QM2 is joining QE2 on world voyages beginning in 2007. I'm trying to plan a round-trip crossing for my aunt and uncle (who will NOT fly) in 2007 and now it looks like I won't be able to do it.

Do any of you have more details? Are Cunard's transatlantic crossings not successful?

Thanks,

sweethome

This season they`re almost giving away some of the trans-atlantic crossings, this makes me suspect that they have problems to fill the ship...maybe the QM2 is just too big for the task?

There are far lower rates on the crossings then on the other cruises with the QM2.

imo a transatlantic crossing is the ONLY reason to sail on QM2. she is way too big for cruises. a world cruise usually lasts about three months so even if QM2 starts one in january she should be able to resume crossings in april so i wouldnt worry. (hope i dont have to eat those words.)

QM2 is absolutely not ceasing her transatlantic crossings.

Yes, QM2 will be doing a world cruise in 2007... This is going to be in the winter, January through March, during a period when she has never done crossings (save her maiden voyage in January 2004 which took her across to Florida and was not a Southampton-New York line voyage).

This is exactly what QE2 did for years and years. In fact, Cunard have not operated regular Atlantic crossings during this time of year for decades, and none of the QUEENs have been dedicated full-time to Atlantic crossings since the early to mid 1960s. Even the old QUEEN MARY did world cruises during the winter months in her later years.

The 2007 voyage will be QM2's first world cruise, but she has been operating cruises during these months ever since she entered service... Already in 2006 she will be going round South America over the winter months and in 2005 she operated various cruises in the Caribbean, South America, etc. during this off-season on the North Atlantic. The only difference is that in 2007 she will be operating one longer cruise where she might previously have ran several shorter cruises. This is the only difference. The world cruise will have no effect on her North Atlantic season which has only ever been from April through November anyhow.

QM2 is absolutely not ceasing her transatlantic crossings.

Even the old QUEEN MARY did world cruises during the winter months in her later years.

Doug,

Agree that the QM2 will continue Trans Atlantics.....one thing which is difficult to assess is the difference in (highly profitable) on-board revenue between a crossing and a cruise - on a day to day basis I'd guess it might be higher on a crossing.....and of the many indignities heaped on the dear old Queen Mary in her dotage, a World Cruise was not amongst them - the Canaries or the Bahamas, perhaps, but as Cunard pointed out to the City of Long Beach, she really wasn't a ship for the tropics......

Peter

Well neither one of the original Queens were air conditioned so yes it would be tough to do a warm weather cruise over a long period of time. I have always read that Cunard had used a variety of smaller ships for the World Cruises since the cruises usually tended to attract a smaller crowd (due to the very nature) and a smaller ship worked out well in that regard anyways. Of course by the time the QE2 was launched there were no other Cunard ships really capable of doing an extended World Cruise. Plus they got longer over time. Plus the World Cruises seemed to have grown a bit over time. I have a promotional video of the World Cruise dated 1989 when it was only 80 days. Now it is up to 109 for the 2006 World Cruise.

Speaking of revenue, on a crossing of course the audience is entirely captive. With no stops or ports, people have to occupy themselves for 6 days straight. Then again alot of people use the transatlantic crossings for transport purposes and even if it is part of a larger vacation may not be so inclined to spend spend. On leisurely cruises that being and end in the same place, the ship is as much of the vacation destination as any ports and may be more inclined to gamble and buy souvenirs and the like.

I certainly hope that the QM2 will be continuing the regular transatlantic service. There were rumors about that the ships were not booking out as well in 2005 as it was in 2004 but not exactly empty. I have done the crossing twice on the QE2 but look forward to at least one on the QM2.

Well neither one of the original Queens were air conditioned.

Both were air-conditioned in their First Class Public rooms

Speaking of revenue, on a crossing of course the audience is entirely captive. With no stops or ports, people have to occupy themselves for 6 days straight. .

The 3 & 4 day cruise business started when accountants at Carnival noticed that on a 7 day cruise spending collapsed around day 4 - people had simply run out of money - so chuck 'em off and get another load on who'd similarly spend for 3-4 days.......the point you make about a crossing is the critical one - ALL your spending goes to Cunard, none gets spent onshore at shops/bars.....

Peter

Archived