Horn Battle

vicki2011

2 DCL ships at the same port is rare. We saw a "cruise by" at Castaway--the Magic was in port and the Fantasy cruised by. They did the usual salute--Magic doing her one and only and the Fantasy adding the "Makes No Difference."

Often there is a "horn war" in port between a DCL ship and another line. It usually has a few episodes of "them" doing a "belch" sound and we respond with something similar....then after a few times, the Magic will respond with "When You Wish Upon a Star," which silences Carnival or RCI.

Also, on the Fantasy they went thru all the tunes a couple times during the cruise.

I've been on 4 DCL cruises, and never heard them doing a horn battle with another cruise line. Guess you just have to be lucky enough to be on when it happens. I know it's rare for 2 Disney ships to be in the same port on the same day, but when it does I want to try and be on one of them.

I've been on 4 DCL cruises, and never heard them doing a horn battle with another cruise line. Guess you just have to be lucky enough to be on when it happens. I know it's rare for 2 Disney ships to be in the same port on the same day, but when it does I want to try and be on one of them.

30+ DCL cruises and I've only seen them in the same port once and the above "cruise by" once. And the time in the same port was due to a hurricane closing Port Canaveral....don't want a repeat of that one.

I don't know how to find out if it is scheduled to be that way since the Magic and Wonder are doing some Caribbean cruises now.

On our first Fantasy cruise we had to make an unexpected stop in Nassau. While waiting the Dream arrived in port and we got to hear the two ships greet each other with the horns. the only other "horn battle" I have witnessed was between a Carnival ship and a Royal Caribbean. It wasn't that impressive!

Unless there is a weather problem like mocha's mommy said, or a short cruise because of going to dry dock, you never see 2 DCL ships in the same port at the same time.

I think you must have seen the video's of the Dream or Fantasy awaiting a berth at PC when they first arrived and saluting each other as they passed.

Or as above a once in a blue moon "cruise by" each other.

You WILL NOT be able to book a cruise to see any of the ships either in port together, or cruise past each other unless it it a one off.

When it happen's, it's pixie dust! ;)

ex techie

They used to do this all the time years ago.

I guess the other lines just got bored of being "out horned"? or they finally cottoned on they were actually advertizing a DCL cruise in the process! lol!

ex techie

I always want to hear a horn battle. When we pulled into Nassau last year The Dream proudly sounded her horn as if it say "here I am". Of course no one responded. I assume the other lines have realized they just aren't up to the challenge. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen a horn/whistle salute take place between two Disney ships. I even stayed out on deck late when night when I knew the Magic and Fantasy would be passing each other around 11 pm off the coast of Mexico. Nothing special happened. :( But it was late at night, so perhaps that was part of the reason.

I have heard the Disney Magic sound her horn in response to a Carnival ship sounding the typical 3 long blasts while leaving port (specifically Costa Maya).

Princess now has two ships with horns that play the opening few bars of the Love Boat theme, so I suspect at some point there will be an on-line video of the Disney and Love Boat horns being played back to back. :)

We were still seeing horn battles between DCL and other lines while in Europe fall 2014....but perhaps they haven't gotten tired of it there or realized that it is free DCL advertisements. There were also crowds of people as close as they were allowed to be at most ports to see the ship. On at least 2 occasions, the characters came out and waved to the crowds.

The Disney Wonder and Dream will both be in Nassau on December 8th of this year. The Disney Wonder is a 7 night out of Galveston. I assume the Dream is either a 3 or 4 out of Port Canaveral.

I remember thinking it was interesting when I checked the schedule for our cruise (Wonder) that the Dream would also be in port that day. It is still 7 months away, but if I remember, I will include it in my review after the cruise.

This is in Astoria Oregon, a battle of horns between 2 cruise ships. There is also a guy that has ships horns on the back of his truck that has horn battles with cruise ships in Astoria Oregon. We got to see him last September when we were the last ship out of Astoria for the season. It was the most fun and the passengers were cheering. I guess he is there often to salute the ships.

We were lucky to see the Magic in Port Canveral,right after her dry dock on our 2013 Fantasy cruise. We got to hear a nice selection of the Fantasy's horns as we passed by them on our way out ,but I don't recall that we heard all of them...I do remember Captain America was waving to us from the bridge on the Magic. It was a fun departure!

I do admit,I am easily amused by a good horn battle :)

If you want to hear all of the songs, watch the Navigator for an announcement. When I took this video it had been listed that they would be playing the "whistle" at 5pm before leaving Castaway Cay.

All of the Fantasy's horn songs: