Canadian Exchange Rate with Carnival?

I know I read a thread about this a couple of month back, but I'm just wondering if any Canadians have booked recently directly with Carnival? I'm curious if their exchange rate is as good as NCL's has been.

I thought the exchange rate was set by the banks......:confused:

I know my credit card charges me a higher fee for transactions outside the US. But I would have assumed that whether you book through NCL or CCL your Canadian vs. USD exchange rate would be the same.

I thought the exchange rate was set by the banks......:confused:

I know my credit card charges me a higher fee for transactions outside the US. But I would have assumed that whether you book through NCL or CCL your Canadian vs. USD exchange rate would be the same.

when you book with the Carnival website, I am sure it represents US dollars. If you pay with a credit card, the credit company (e.g. Chase) will perform the exchange rate between the US and Canadian currencies.

There are some credit cards that do not charge exchange rate fees. You may want to look into those when traveling internationally.

When I booked my NCL Epic cruise last October, I was locked in with a 1.075 exchange, so almost at par. I was able to order OBC at that SAME rate, so $150 US = $161, Gratuities, dining, excursions, everything! Some people had 1.10, 1.11, 1.16, etc. It just depended on when they booked their cruise and what NCL had at that time for a rate.

I was just curious if Carnival did the same thing and had their own exchange rate like NCL.

When I booked my NCL Epic cruise last October, I was locked in with a 1.075 exchange, so almost at par. I was able to order OBC at that SAME rate, so $150 US = $161, Gratuities, dining, excursions, everything! Some people had 1.10, 1.11, 1.16, etc. It just depended on when they booked their cruise and what NCL had at that time for a rate.

I was just curious if Carnival did the same thing and had their own exchange rate like NCL.

Oh, and I didn't get dinged credit card fees as I was invoiced in Canadian dollars.

Carnival will only charge you in U.S. dollars so the exchange rate will be whatever the rate your credit card is charging. Between the savings with the great rate on NCL and the free Ultimate Beverage Package I have "jumped ship".

I have read that Carnival will offer a favourable rate if - you book direct, or through a Canadian TA.

This is what I was hoping for.

I had booked through a TA for my last cruise, but it was a pain to have to keep getting her to do all my price drops for me. I just wanted to book our next cruise direct through the cruise line so I can do it myself.

We are booked on the Sensation for March 2016 5 day cruise - Nassau - Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. We booked a month ago and we were to be on the Victory instead of the Sensation, but of course, they are moving the ships in Feb 2016.

Anyway, when we booked ( we have a balcony room 8D and booked via a Canadian TA) we ended up paying $949.13 Canadian. They gave us each a $100.00 OBC credit (for both my wife and I or $200 total ) if we were ok with switching ships), so we took it.

I just checked our same cruise by means of a 'dummy booking' and got a rate of $881.00 US dollars. At current exchange rates that would work out to $1,053.00 Canadian.

We are pretty happy that we have a lower rate and also the $100 OBC for each of us. I must say, Carnival was more than fair with their offer!

Anyway, when we booked ( we have a balcony room 8D and booked via a Canadian TA) we ended up paying $949.13 Canadian.

I just checked our same cruise by means of a 'dummy booking' and got a rate of $881.00 US dollars. At current exchange rates that would work out to $1,053.00 Canadian.

I would say you got around 1.075 exchange, that's awesome! I would check to see if you can buy any OBC at that rate as well.

Carnival will only charge you in U.S. dollars so the exchange rate will be whatever the rate your credit card is charging. Between the savings with the great rate on NCL and the free Ultimate Beverage Package I have "jumped ship".

Not so! When I was on the phone with Carnival prior to booking our next cruise, the agent offered the price in Canadian dollars without me even asking for it because she knew I am Canadian.

I would say you got around 1.075 exchange, that's awesome! I would check to see if you can buy any OBC at that rate as well.

I checked, but nope, looks like the rate was something around $1.19 CDN to US. But was worth a try.

Hope to have saved some $$$$ and paid a much lower rate that people can book at now.