Just off the PRIDE, WARNING about aft cabin shaking

jetta8300

All of this has me very worried...

I have only been on two cruises, but neither of them made me motion sick. We hardly felt the ship move at all.

We are going on a 14 day cruise on the Pride in March. And now I'm worried that all of this vibration and "listing" will make us all sick! We are in a room mid-ship, Empress level.

I have only been on two cruises, but neither of them made me motion sick. We hardly felt the ship move at all.

We are going on a 14 day cruise on the Pride in March. And now I'm worried that all of this vibration and "listing" will make us all sick! We are in a room mid-ship, Empress level.

You'll be fine, no need to worry about your wonderful 14 day cruise! We've been on the Pride once as well as her sister ship Legend. On the pride we had a mid-ship cabin and didn't feel a thing (it was my first cruise) on legend we also had a mid-ship but was farther aft and also didn't feel a thing.

Now I have to admit when this thread originally started, we were booked in room 6244 for our cruise in two weeks, which is aft, furthest aft we have ever been. I changed our room out of worry, we are now in a forward cabin.

As I said you should be perfectly okay with mid-ship deck 6. IMO, on the spirit class ships you feel more of the movement the lower and more forward you get. The only time I've felt movement has been in the comedy club on these ships which is deck one forward. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise :D

You'll be fine, no need to worry about your wonderful 14 day cruise! We've been on the Pride once as well as her sister ship Legend. On the pride we had a mid-ship cabin and didn't feel a thing (it was my first cruise) on legend we also had a mid-ship but was farther aft and also didn't feel a thing.

Now I have to admit when this thread originally started, we were booked in room 6244 for our cruise in two weeks, which is aft, furthest aft we have ever been. I changed our room out of worry, we are now in a forward cabin.

As I said you should be perfectly okay with mid-ship deck 6. IMO, on the spirit class ships you feel more of the movement the lower and more forward you get. The only time I've felt movement has been in the comedy club on these ships which is deck one forward. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise :D

Thank you! I'm glad to know it was your first cruise and you didn't feel anything. We did feel movement one time while in the comedy club on the Conquest, but it was so slight that we barely noticed.

I absolutely would not worry about the cruise being booked mid ship. Yes there was a lot more motion than we experienced in the past, but the shaking was what made us sick. Not the motion. The cabin was what was hell, not the cruise. If we would have had a cabin to sleep in and recoup from the shaking, it would have been hardly a blip on our radar. Having said that, yes the dining room was pretty bad, but you're not stuck there. You will have a great time on your cruise!!

To the other posters asking about the VERY aft cabins, I obviously would move from the aft cabins, I'm the one who started this thread. But that's me. I would not take a cruise in that cabin again for free. If you choose not to move then I'd bring lots of Dramamine, and even ask your doctor for anti-nausea medication just in case. Ear plugs or a sound machine (on LOUD) would have helped us some from the squeaking fixtures.

Edited by jetta8300

Holy cow am I glad I came here.

I just checked our cruise to see about any upgrades (we are currently mid-ship in an extended balcony) and noticed that almost EVERY completely AFT extended balcony cabin is now available.

I thought this to be very strange and remembered a thread about shaking. I wonder if all of those lovely people swapped rooms? They definitely were not available before. :confused::confused:

Holy cow am I glad I came here.

I just checked our cruise to see about any upgrades (we are currently mid-ship in an extended balcony) and noticed that almost EVERY completely AFT extended balcony cabin is now available.

I thought this to be very strange and remembered a thread about shaking. I wonder if all of those lovely people swapped rooms? They definitely were not available before. :confused::confused:

Are you cruising soon? There are a lot of 3-4 person cabins there and they have been tight about occupancy. We were going to book one, but they looked to be sold out (for 2), but when it was about a month out the occupancy restrictions were lifted and a lot came open. They were all higher occupancy so initially they wouldn't come up in a search for 2 person occupancy. Just a thought.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Are you cruising soon? There are a lot of 3-4 person cabins there and they have been tight about occupancy. We were going to book one, but they looked to be sold out (for 2), but when it was about a month out the occupancy restrictions were lifted and a lot came open. They were all higher occupancy so initially they wouldn't come up in a search for 2 person occupancy. Just a thought.

Ooh. That makes MUCH more sense.

I'm in serious debate about switching from midship to aft... I've always dreamed about that completely open view....

But I know I wouldn't be able to sleep with incessant rattling. Sigh.

What to do, what to do... We'll have fun wherever, but I always overthink things :)

Not for nothing, but we stayed in 6264, extended aft balcony, right on the back of the ship. Best cruise ever. If there was vibration, I never noticed it and slept like a baby. My wife didn't notice anything either, and she is a light sleeper.

We were in a GS on the Legend last April and the ship and cabin did seem to shake and rattle a lot more that our cruise on the Freedom. We were in the middle of the ship and with a white noise machine and everything seemed to rattle like crazy. I wonder now if it was the Spirit class ships.

I think spirit class ships feel like ships, that's is why I like them.

I certainly don't want to feel like I am in a paint mixer, but the normal ship movement and creaks and clanks are okay with me.

Gosh. Just came across this post. This is so odd to me. The Pride was our honeymoon ship and we stayed in a "true" aft cabin( on the very back of the ship). It was in the "middle " of the row of aft balcony cabins on the Empress Deck. Other than the ship having a lot of motion going around the Outer Banks (typical I heard), there was no vibration at all. We sailed first week of June. Except for thrusters when docking, we loved our cabin. So odd that different people can have such different experiences. That original post sounds terrible. I don't get motion sickness but i will admit this was the only cruise I've been on that made me take something for motion. Not the ship's fault, it was rough seas. 36 straight hours. Maybe I didn't notice the vibration due to that motion, lol. What we loved most was running up 2 flights of stairs and being right at the Serenity Deck. We plan our cabins now for that proximity!

Gosh. Just came across this post. This is so odd to me. The Pride was our honeymoon ship and we stayed in a "true" aft cabin( on the very back of the ship). It was in the "middle " of the row of aft balcony cabins on the Empress Deck. Other than the ship having a lot of motion going around the Outer Banks (typical I heard), there was no vibration at all. We sailed first week of June. Except for thrusters when docking, we loved our cabin. So odd that different people can have such different experiences. That original post sounds terrible. I don't get motion sickness but i will admit this was the only cruise I've been on that made me take something for motion. Not the ship's fault, it was rough seas. 36 straight hours. Maybe I didn't notice the vibration due to that motion, lol. What we loved most was running up 2 flights of stairs and being right at the Serenity Deck. We plan our cabins now for that proximity!

OP here, another thread that probably validates there is something currently making the ship shake more than normal. You said that it was ok "except when pulling into port with the thrusters." In our cabin, we never would have known when the thrusters were on or off. It shook like that the entire time. No worse or better when pulling into port. It was still shaking like a previous poster said when idling in port the entire day. So if that would have bothered you the enire cruise, then I suggest others cruisers move. It NEVER stopped violently shaking. :(

Edited by jetta8300

OP here, another thread that probably validates there is something currently making the ship shake more than normal. You said that it was ok "except when pulling into port with the thrusters." In our cabin, we never would have known when the thrusters were on or off. It shook like that the entire time. No worse or better when pulling into port. It was still shaking like a previous poster said when idling in port the entire day. So if that would have bothered you the enire cruise, then I suggest others cruisers move. It NEVER stopped violently shaking. :(

The OP is sticking to the original story no matter what anyone else says to the contrary. I was in an aft suite on the 4/26 sailing just a week after OP and did not experience anything as described.

I was in a vista suite on the Pride in 2009 and then again last year. The vibration was really bad last year. It was constant. I don't remember it being like that in 2009 or I wouldnt have booked a VS again. Next week I'll be back on the Pride in a midship 4K. I'm hoping not to as much vibration there.

I have been reading about complaints about vibrations in the aft section of

the Pride for years. We have sailed on the pride four times and we are booked

for June, 26 2016. Our first time was September, 12 2010 and we were forward but all our friends, all eighteen of them were booked in the aft deck

five upper deck and vibration was there the whole seven days day and night.

One day in the main dining room for brunch my wife watched a crystal glass

vibrate from the middle of the table to the end and she grabbed it before it

fell to the floor. She had to grab it four times and finally told the waiter to

remove it from the table. It sounds like they have had a problem all

these years and can't or don't want to fix it because it probably is very

expensive to fix. I will never book in the aft section. This next cruise in 2016

I have a handicapped cabin deck eight starboard side next to rear elevator.

If you want a handicap cabin with a balcony they are around the aft elevator.

I sure hope the vibration ends before the elevator.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I was in a vista suite on the Pride in 2009 and then again last year. The vibration was really bad last year. It was constant. I don't remember it being like that in 2009 or I wouldnt have booked a VS again. Next week I'll be back on the Pride in a midship 4K. I'm hoping not to as much vibration there.

Your post agrees with our recent experience. We sailed Pride aft vista suite Main deck, Dec 2011, Sept 2012, Dec 2012, Sept 2013, April 2015. No unusual vibration except last cruise. This is after dry dock and changes to ship, perhaps one of the changes also changed how ship rides aft? Or maybe just have bad engine bearing.

George in NY

The OP is sticking to the original story no matter what anyone else says to the contrary. I was in an aft suite on the 4/26 sailing just a week after OP and did not experience anything as described.

I of course am sticking to my story because that was exactly what happened. I'm describing facts about my experience. Most posters on here seem to have experienced the same thing as me. Especially the recent cruisers.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not doubting that your experience with the vibration was not as strong. I'm just saying that mine absolutely was, so it CAN happen. Just from what I'm gathering it seems to vary from people's experiences in the past, but many frequent cruisers on the pride agree that it's much worse than it's ever been, validating my recent experience.

Edited by jetta8300

Ugh...I'm in the vista suite in July, on deck 8. We were in this suite 4 or 5 years ago, and while I remember the vibration, it wasn't an issue. I think we did need to silence a couple of things making noise from the vibrations, but it wasn't terrible. I hope being on deck 8 makes it not as noticeable, or they fix whatever issue they are having before then. I'm so sorry for the people in the lower aft cabins at this point. That is miserable.

November 2013 we felt it and just last month the same thing.....maybe a little less.

As long as we avoided the rear of mermaids and the dining room we were ok. The one night we were seated near the back Windows I started feeling a little yucky.

I always wanted to try an aft cabin but not on the pride.

We are just off the May 17th Pride sailing with cabins 4230 and 4232 (extended aft balcony) and also sailed in 4232 for 14 days this past March. Was there some vibration? Yes. Was it horrible, unacceptable, miserable, etc.? Absolutely not. I don't understand the complaints and am truly sorry that one person's exaggeration will prevent others from enjoying the wonderful experience these cabins offer: large balcony, wake view, and close to the water.

We have sailed 40+ times, most all cruise lines, various categories of ships and cabins, and the Pride 7 times. Our favorite of all? Pride, cabin 4232, which we have booked for 21 days in January.

To each his own.

Judy

I don't blame the OP in sticking to their story. If this is THEIR experience, sobeit. Not everyone has to agree. However from what I've seen, many do. Like the poster stated on the previous page, I really don't know why this thread is still going.

I just got off the Pride on Sunday, cabin 8209. For me, we had more noticable vibrations on Monday night and then Saturday night (but the ship was going pretty fast). It wasn't awful, but I am used to a ship gently rocking, not vibrating. At the sea day brunch on Saturday, our table for 2 was vibrating like crazy, then stopped when I leaned my arm down. I'd still sail that ship again in a heartbeat!