Just off the PRIDE, WARNING about aft cabin shaking

jetta8300

... it was an Ocean Suite 5293 on the Pride, to possibly save someone else's vacation.

Well once we boarded, we found our cabin and it was definitely shaking, not vibrating. It was more like slow rumbles, and we thought, "I hope it's not like the the whole time..." and boy were we in for a much WORSE experience than that.

Something is definitely not right. We had cabin 6297 on the Pride a few years ago and didn't feel any vibrations or shaking. Our MDR table was on deck 3 by the aft windows and we did get some vibration there but not shaking, and not constant. I don't know how they can say that's just the way it is in the aft cabins.

Just a few things, first I'm very happy that you did not have the same experience.

You were not as far aft though. Yes the aft section, but the first cabin. I can tell you, that it even made a huge difference to us in the MDR, whether we were sitting in the forward section or the very back. The very back definitely shook more. And that's where our cabin was. Also, it shook less on the serenity deck than in our cabin. So it also seemed to help the higher up we went. But it still shook.

Second, I can tell you that it shook LESS if anything when pulling into port. When we pulled in, it was shaking badly, but the glasses were not rattling, the mirror was not rattling. We were shaking and rattling once the ship was out in the open, and throughout the night. It was the worst on the first few sea days, and the last sea day. So if people think it rattles pulling into port, I'm telling you, what I am describing was not at its worst at that time. It's not the same thing.

People can describe a "vibration" and feeling of shaking all they want, and everyone has a different sensitivity to it. Some say it's bad, some say it's gentle. But that facts are that the doors, mirrors, glasses, cabinets, light fixtures, ceiling panels, outside balcony furniture, and doors were rattling for probably 20 out of the 24 hours in each day. So not matter what severity people will "say" it was, I can tell you that if you did not experience that, it wasn't as bad in your cabin luckily. But it was worse in mine then.

Also, this is not the first time I have heard it described such as this. Some people have. Different decks, different itineraries, seem to make a difference.

I agree with all you've said. The poster cruising for the first time with kids would probably not enjoy herself aft. We were the farthest aft on Conquest (6442, I think??) and it was just not an experience I'd want to relive. Especially not with kids who are already finicky about cruising. The slamming and banging sounded like the ship was getting ready to explode. As a rational adult, I was able to calm myself knowing that ships make noise and that's normal. But children won't be as easily calmed. If the kids ain't having fun, nobody's having fun. Lol!

But, being trapped on a ship for seven days with no possibility to change rooms (we had a sold out ship-- I went to guest services on the brink of tears and begged for any other room possible), is not the best way to find out you're prone to seasickness.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

This information about the vibrating has me a bit afraid as I am planning my first cruise with my children who are very nervous about crusing and of course I am on the 5th deck aft section. I have no idea if being seasick will be an issue for any of us as we've never cruised before, but I think loud vibrations like the ones described in the first post would scare them. For about the same price, I can change to the 7th deck near the atrium. Does anyone have any information about those rooms? Would you recommend a change to that location in the mid section 7th deck near the atrium? Thanks for your opinions.

I would change to be safe. Either way we thought this boat rocked especially side to side more than any other ship We have been on, and staying mid ship with also give you less rocking in addition to reducing the vibration, possibly altogether much of the time.

I would not worry about staying near the atrium or elevators, the noise in the ship is general is minimal. The halls were very quiet.

I really hate to hear how bad you shake was. Wow.

We just got off the Pride a few weeks ago and had a balcony in the aft area and noticed this shake as well (although obviously not as bad as yours since our fixtures didn't rattle or anything) and I thought it was odd. It seem to be there most of the time but I guess I noticed it the most at night when things were quiet and we were laying down. :(

We're on the May 10th sailing in 7294... any experience near this cabin? I'm worried after reading this thread. I am prone to sea sickness and though on most ships I'm OK with "sea bands" on my wrists. I had to take something in Alaska and Hawaii because of high seas, but 2 Caribbean adventures I just wore the bands.

Plus we've got 2 boys (5 and 9).

I was booked in the last aft balcony cabin before the suites. After reading this I changed cabins. There were only aft cabins left but I was able to move up 4 decks for $36. Sailing on May 24th.

We were in 7260 at the end of Feb. It is in the aft section, but not as far back. About equal with the most forward part of the MDR. Our door faced the last set/most aft stairs and was right next to the aft elevators. It is the most aft cabin of the indented sections (the ones with the extended balconies). It may have had some very mild vibration at some points, but honestly, I do not remember any vibration or rattling at all. If there was any vibration, it did not stick out in our minds. I wouldn't hesitate to get this room again, this far back on this deck, even though it was in the 'aft section'.

We were in 7260 at the end of Feb. It is in the aft section, but not as far back. About equal with the most forward part of the MDR. Our door faced the last set/most aft stairs and was right next to the aft elevators. It is the most aft cabin of the indented sections (the ones with the extended balconies). It may have had some very mild vibration at some points, but honestly, I do not remember any vibration or rattling at all. If there was any vibration, it did not stick out in our minds. I wouldn't hesitate to get this room again, this far back on this deck, even though it was in the 'aft section'.

Thanks for your input on this. Those are long hallways, and I would assume that it's better the closer you get to the stairs, those cabins are fairly far away from the back. It didn't seem to shake badly by the stairs. Also it probably helped that you were a few decks up. It's nice for people to know where is safe.

OP was this the room you wanted to move to that they wouldn't allow at first? I think that was you that I talked with in that thread.

Unfortunate about the room. Sounds very abnormal. I've stayed aft and never had any type of experience like that. I wonder if it's the route ships have to take from the Northeast that makes a difference in general. It's one thing that keeps me from booking the Pride. Not sure how rough the ride will be.

You sure you didn't have a ghost?:p Just kidding. People do rave about these suites on the Spirit class ships, so maybe there was something else going on with the engines. How was the weather?

Glad this didn't ruin your trip.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I'm one who gets on an airplane and immediately falls asleep, my spouse though starts complaining about "the conditions" the moment he steps onboard from the whirring of the ventilation system to the squeaks and bangs and constant vibration even in a plane that is standing still.

People have different reactions to noise, light, movement and one person's shaking from hell is another person's rocking chair. I'm one of the lucky ones who can tune out most everything and it all just become's ambient noise and movement. If someone is unlucky and hears, sees, and feels everything then the back of a ship is probably not an ideal choice because simple physics is at work there. Its like not realizing that the kid at the end of the line at a game of "whip" at a skating rink isn't going to end up the worst for wear.

Prevailing winds, sea conditions, temperature all have an affect on a ship...sometimes the whip at the back of the ship is just more brutal...so to book a room back there you better be prepared for the worst.

OP was this the room you wanted to move to that they wouldn't allow at first? I think that was you that I talked with in that thread.

Unfortunate about the room. Sounds very abnormal. I've stayed aft and never had any type of experience like that. I wonder if it's the route ships have to take from the Northeast that makes a difference in general. It's one thing that keeps me from booking the Pride. Not sure how rough the ride will be.

You sure you didn't have a ghost?:p Just kidding. People do rave about these suites on the Spirit class ships, so maybe there was something else going on with the engines. How was the weather?

Glad this didn't ruin your trip.

Hello, and yes that was me :( What happened was we were originally in one of the aft extended balcony cabins on the 5th floor, then we moved to 4232 to get the larger overhang. Well about 5 days before the cruise the "upsell fairy" called and we took the deal for the suite. We still paid quite a bit for it though... Either way we would have been miserable in any of those cabins because the were all on the very back, and low floors to boot. Probably more fixtures to rattle overall in the suite, but any of those cabins would have been bad. :cool:

This class of ship is equipped with azipods. This form of drive, while considered more efficient than conventional propellors, has been very much prone to have problems. These range from minor leakage through bearings and seals to total failure (the U. S. Coast Guard ice breaker Mackinaw lost use of one azipod at the start of ice breaking season) to even having them fall off the ship. This issue could be caused by a bad bearing in one of the azipods or it could be a cavitation issue as mentioned earlier. I suspect that a visit to a drydock my be in the near future for the Carnival Pride.

Thanks for your input on this. Those are long hallways, and I would assume that it's better the closer you get to the stairs, those cabins are fairly far away from the back. It didn't seem to shake badly by the stairs. Also it probably helped that you were a few decks up. It's nice for people to know where is safe.

Exactly !! If I hadn't read this thread, it wouldn't have even occurred to me there could be this problem, based on our cabin.

YES, i know what you are talking about. Last year we took the bait and upgraded to cabin 5264 (on the opposite side of your cabin) before we left, we were thrilled to get a great price on a suite....boy we were wrong. It was awful....and no, its not a vibration its a constant shake. I don't get sea sickness but i had to constantly take medicine for the headache from the shaking!!! no it didn't ruin my vacation either, i make the most of everything, but if it helps someone with making a decision avoid these cabins

YES, i know what you are talking about. Last year we took the bait and upgraded to cabin 5264 (on the opposite side of your cabin) before we left, we were thrilled to get a great price on a suite....boy we were wrong. It was awful....and no, its not a vibration its a constant shake. I don't get sea sickness but i had to constantly take medicine for the headache from the shaking!!! no it didn't ruin my vacation either, i make the most of everything, but if it helps someone with making a decision avoid these cabins

Hmmm... So why are these cabins open until the last minute?

OP...you have stated things so well and respond so truthfully yet positively..as i type i am gong to run to LR to get my happy little card souvenir...from Spirit..Easter 2012...I have the old style luggage tags...love them...

OK I was in 7123 inside...which is 7 cabins back from front/fore of the ship. This was a 5 day cruise to Cabo..5 days in April of 2012. While absolutely nothing like you describe the picture above me rattled to extent I had to stuff Kleenexes and washrags or it would have been like a hard surface rattle above your ear RIGHT ABOVE. I think people have to do this until screws are loosened and well everything needs to be tightened up inside the cabins as well as the motor maintenance..love all the educated comments here....didn't you wish you had more duct tape, plumbers puddy..anything??? About half the time the room stewardess whom I loved, removed it..and then put new Kleenex on stand...oh my heavens she never acted like I could have been that much of a slob...but then she got it and left it the last nights. I was ok with vibration rattle but this was not sea vibration..and the Kleenex and being on inside handled the rattle in the fore so much more than you had I know.....had to put towel in between metal ice bucket lid too.

So I will aim for midship balcony or not the very first porthole cabin...LOL..which I know will have some issues and prceed with earplugs, and plumbers puddy, and maybe even my sound machine next time...that would have drowned out the kids doing acrobatics on each side lol...it was Easter and I slept Like a log at the Salt lake hotel I took for miles...to help next trip and tOOK THE NEXT puddle jumper home, NEXT DAY BECAUSE i COULD..MORE RESTED....Sarah

It is interesting what these ships do and how things can goof up on the engine and propel systems and this is an excellent thread so folks can make decisions...more informed.

I am impressed you still had a great cruise and sorry about the negatives...I will give a good thought to having a quieter cabin in NOT AS DISTANT future. You share your complaint in such a classy way...Regards...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

We have sailed on the Pride 6 times, are leaving again on the 17th, and have a back to back 21 day booked for January. Our last cruise was the 14 night repositioning in March. Our choice of cabin, always? 4232 aft extended balcony, or one next door. We have also had this cabin on sister ship Legend.

Was there some shaking? Yes. Was it miserable? Absolutely not. We just think of it as a small annoyance in exchange for the closeness to the water, view of the wake, and larger balcony. We have been in this cabin in all kinds of weather. I spend a LOT of time, every cruise, reading...either in the cabin or on the balcony.

We have sailed 40+ times, on all major cruise lines, and most of the Carnival class ships. Our favorite ship is the Pride with the Legend a close second...always in the aft extended balcony.

Just our opinion..

Judy

We have sailed on the Pride 6 times, are leaving again on the 17th, and have a back to back 21 day booked for January. Our last cruise was the 14 night repositioning in March. Our choice of cabin, always? 4232 aft extended balcony, or one next door. We have also had this cabin on sister ship Legend.

Was there some shaking? Yes. Was it miserable? Absolutely not. We just think of it as a small annoyance in exchange for the closeness to the water, view of the wake, and larger balcony. We have been in this cabin in all kinds of weather. I spend a LOT of time, every cruise, reading...either in the cabin or on the balcony.

We have sailed 40+ times, on all major cruise lines, and most of the Carnival class ships. Our favorite ship is the Pride with the Legend a close second...always in the aft extended balcony.

Just our opinion..

Judy

Just curious... Have you ever experienced the entire room rattling/squeaking like we did? Light fixtures, mirrors, doors, walls, ceiling panels, balcony furniture, air conditioning units? All squeaking and rattling consistently throughout the day and night.

I know there are some people who are HEAVY sleepers. Like my father! Haha. He could sleep through a rock concert. He could fall asleep at the drop of a hat pretty much anywhere. He can sleep in the middle of the floor while his 3 grandkids are running around him. Anyone who wouldn't be bothered by this shaking has to be a very heavy sleeper due to the noise in the room. That's what I'm trying to get at I guess.

Yes there are some people who wouldn't be bothered. I am aware of that, many people who book these cabins book them consistently in the back. But I'm trying to describe this condition more in detail, rather than just previous threads referring to a general "vibration" which there could be many differing opinions about. We have also stayed aft on another ship and were not bothered at all. Only on the Pride.

I think of "vibration" as a CONSISTENT slight movement, like a humming, think of a back massager. Or massage chair. That is exactly what I was expecting from other commenters. Which this is NOT the same thing as the vibration in our cabin we found out. it was a slower, inconsistent, jerking, rattling, rumble that is very jarring at times and shakes all fixtures in the room. Where the mirror rattles, and then the ceiling gets going, then they all stop for 20 seconds, then a BANG from behind the headboard due to a particularly violent rumble. That is not what I would call a "vibration".

Same thing in the dining room, if your mouth is slightly open and your teeth are clamoring, then all of a sudden for 10 seconds your silverware starts shaking, then stops. Then starts again 1 minute later. That's not a consistent vibration, it's shaking.

If you can sleep through this then FANTASTIC, I am very happy for you! haha. You are lucky because our cabin was beautiful otherwise and we loved the balcony.

Edited by jetta8300

Just curious... Have you ever experienced the entire room rattling/squeaking like we did? Light fixtures, mirrors, doors, walls, ceiling panels, balcony furniture, air conditioning units? All squeaking and rattling consistently throughout the day and night.

I know there are some people who are HEAVY sleepers. Like my father! Haha. He could sleep through a rock concert. He could fall asleep at the drop of a hat pretty much anywhere. He can sleep in the middle of the floor while his 3 grandkids are running around him. Anyone who wouldn't be bothered by this shaking has to be a very heavy sleeper due to the noise in the room. That's what I'm trying to get at I guess.

Yes there are some people who wouldn't be bothered. I am aware of that, many people who book these cabins book them consistently in the back. But I'm trying to describe this condition more in detail, rather than just previous threads referring to a general "vibration" which there could be many differing opinions about. We have also stayed aft on another ship and were not bothered at all. Only on the Pride.

I think of "vibration" as a CONSISTENT slight movement, like a humming, think of a back massager. Or massage chair. That is exactly what I was expecting from other commenters. Which this is NOT the same thing as the vibration in our cabin we found out. it was a slower, inconsistent, jerking, rattling, rumble that is very jarring at times and shakes all fixtures in the room. Where the mirror rattles, and then the ceiling gets going, then they all stop for 20 seconds, then a BANG from behind the headboard due to a particularly violent rumble. That is not what I would call a "vibration".

Same thing in the dining room, if your mouth is slightly open and your teeth are clamoring, then all of a sudden for 10 seconds your silverware starts shaking, then stops. Then starts again 1 minute later. That's not a consistent vibration, it's shaking.

If you can sleep through this then FANTASTIC, I am very happy for you! haha. You are lucky because our cabin was beautiful otherwise and we loved the balcony.

As I said, there was some shaking. So what? We don't fall down. Glasses don't fall off the counter. We don't fall out of bed. We actually don't notice it that much, and just accept it as part of the perfect cabin with the perfect view on the perfect ship. Our opinion.

As I said, there was some shaking. So what? We don't fall down. Glasses don't fall off the counter. We don't fall out of bed. We actually don't notice it that much, and just accept it as part of the perfect cabin with the perfect view on the perfect ship. Our opinion.

Yes I guess that's my point exactly. If you're a very heavy sleeper, and you're happy as long as it's not knocking you out of bed, then you absolutely should book this room. But if you're a moderate to light sleeper, and possibly would be bothered by the things I've described, then I absolutely would not book this room. The whole point of this is to describe the experience in more detail so individuals can make an informed decision based on their personal preferences.

I was in a vista suite and I found it a very annoying almost constant vibration. The glasses on the shelves would clang against each other. I otherwise loved the vista suite but doubt I would book an aft room again.