Phone rates from room phone

Quick question for anybody who's cruised recently and maybe remembers the prices for ship to shore calls using the room phone (not cell service).

My mom is booked for a cruise in a couple of weeks and thinking of cancelling because of a sick family member. She has insurance and if worse comes to worst in the next week or two can cancel, but we're all eager for her to go and rest and have fun with her friend since the last few weeks have been difficult and it will be a long summer.

I know I looked into changing my own cell coverage to international for a recent trip and opted to stay in touch by email instead. She's technologically challenged, so that's out, and has an old phone so I don't even know if upgrading her cell plan is an option.

I'm thinking the path of least resistance (and therefore the least stress to her) is to just have her call the house from the room once each day for updates. I have a vague memory that the charges weren't all that bad - $5-10/minute? I mean that's bad, but in this kind of situation, an extra $100 for a week of quick check in "no change, everybody's fine, enjoy your day!" calls would be preferable to trying to teach her how to get around it. She's got plenty of onboard credit and prepaid everything already.

So if anybody remembers the rates, I'd appreciate it.

Which ship / sailing ?

Anyway, this was on the Breakaway last month -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_1553%20%28768x1024%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_1553%20%28768x1024%29.jpg

As long as you keep it short & to the point for non-tech. folks, it will work and no chance of a data roaming bill surprise a month or two later (when billing systems catched up) - for family/medical & other reasons, $4.99 per minute is peace of mind (and there's no carrier surcharges or taxes, which was something like 22%) Mobile calling via satellite with AT&T and T-Mobile, with international roaming enabled, is cheaper than Verizonwireless, just FYI.

Just yesterday I resurrected an old thread concerning this same problem.

Talked to our Verizon rep about cell service on the Getaway. She put me on hold and shortly returned to answer my question.

I was instructed to press *228 option 2 once on board. My phone should work as normal except rate change. $2.49/minute and $2.00/ minute if ashore for international. 50 cent text sent or received. We gave dumb phones and don't text but receiving random texts could get pricey.

Our need for service is to receive an emergency call if livestock problems arise.

Edited by KaralotStables
Corect speling