Uniworld River Empress, Budapest-Amsterdam

kodidog

Hi all. We're heading out on this cruise next weekend and since I've only traveled on 'ocean cruises' until now, I have a couple of questions that I hope a former Empress cruiser can help me with.

There certainly does not seem to be the same amount of information for River cruises on any cruise discussion boards as there is the more popular Ocean going vessels. : - ) There is a lot that I will find out when I get there, for sure, but there are two issues I'd like to address before I board the River Empress.

First: How warm/cool is the dining room in the evening? Is a sweater/wrap necessary to be comfortable? If one isn't NECESSARY, if I choose to wear one will I melt? ;-)

Secondly: I keep reading that the evening dress is very casual. I have seen (on previous Celebrity/Princess cruises) that everyone seems to have a different opinion about what casual is. I'm specifically thinking about the jean shorts and hairy-armpitted tank top wearer I encountered at dinner on my last cruise...yikes!

I assume that my fellow cruisers won't be quite THAT casual, but I wonder if a skirt or black pants/blouse & 'shiny bits' and golf shirt/dockers will be adequate dinner dress for a couple of novice River Cruisers. I've been given conflicting answers about how many 'dressy' nights there are, and have been told ONE and TWO..does anyone know for sure? O.K. I realize that's 3 things I've asked, but please be tolerant.........I'm suffering from pre-cruiseitis.

I'm still really struggling to work with the 'one suitcase' concept. I've often been accused of taking an entire pharmacy with me when I travel..I'm one of those 'just in case' packers, ha ha.

Looking forward to this NEW experience and really would appreciate having my mind put to ease on these issues.

Sandi

The only time we saw sport jackets on the men was at the captain's farewell dinners. We cruised from the Black Sea to Amsterdam on the River Countess. The women wore summer dresses or pants and very nice tops. Our dining room was very comfortable. Some women wore shawls, some sweaters. wouldn't hurt to have something just in case. My husband and I each had one case--29 inchers. Packed half of our in each bag--just in case one bag didn't like the destination. We also had carry-ons. We were fortunate our ship had self-service laundry facilities---don't know about yours. Of course our trip was 24 days, washers and dryers came in handy. You will enjoy the calmness of the river, the scenery and the fact that there will only be about 100 more people on the ship. Any questions about specific ports or towns, just ask. Enjoy!!!!! Pat

Thanks so much for the reply, pacmom! The information is exactly what I need.

Yes, we do have a laundry room on the River Empress, apparently. My husband has a bet with me that I'll probably leave half my clothes unworn, and just keep washing and wearing my favorites..LOL...he's probably correct.

We will be away from home for 17 days..our longest trip ever, and are also taking a 29" each, and carry-ons. Have done the 'half and half packing' for years..since one of our bags was badly damaged (losing many contents to 'somewhere') on a trip to Las Vegas. Hubbie made do with what was left in the gaping bag, but I don't think I could have!

Looking forward to this 'different' cruise...a new experience for sure, but I have a feeling it won't be our last river cruise, listening to some of the posters here. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...
No shorts or jeans in the dinig room at dinner. Never saw sleeveless shirts on males.

Just so there is no confusion, by "sleeveless" you must mean T-shirts. Polo shirts were worn by 95% of the men on our many river cruises.

Archived