Aix on your own?

tommyjean

If you are asking about transportation you might want to consider that taking a regional bus or the train (both can be found at the main train station in town) will be a lot less expensive then the cruise line excursion. But you first must get from the pier to the train station which involves either a taxi or a shuttle bus into town and then a long walk.

Hank

Thank you Hank! That is my biggest issue or concern-how easily to navigate the trains or buses. Are taxis readily available and willing to go to Aix from the port of Marseilles? I've read about the markets there and that's what I'm most interested in seeing. We are there for about 9 hours. Thanks for any advice!

Thank you Hank! That is my biggest issue or concern-how easily to navigate the trains or buses. Are taxis readily available and willing to go to Aix from the port of Marseilles? I've read about the markets there and that's what I'm most interested in seeing. We are there for about 9 hours. Thanks for any advice!

There are a limited number of taxis so the first issue is to get quickly off the ship so you can get any taxi! But yes, the taxis are happy to take you to Aix or even take you both ways for a price, I would make an educated guess that the one-way fare from Marseille to Aix is about 80 Euros although a driver might want more. That is why many folks use the train or regional bus. You could keep your options open and not make a decision until you try and deal with a taxi driver.

Hank

Hi, we visited Aix a few years ago and it was really easy and a lot cheaper to do on our own. We got a shuttle bus into the port and then walked to the train station, it was a bit of a walk but was nice to see a bit of Marseille. we got the bus to Aix, it only took around 40 minutes and then had a few hours in Aix which was lovely, lots of markets selling local produce, would definitely recommend, also it's quite fun navigating your way somewhere yourself, the people are very friendly so can direct you if needed. enjoy!

Thank you! These boards are so reassuring! I'm a little more inclined to do things on my own-my husband gets a bit nervous (he's more of a glass half empty guy, but in a nice way 😊). It sounds easily doable. The tour I was looking at was around 400 euros. Seems like a lot for an easy port. Many thanks again!!!