Lincoln Tunnel and best time to enter NYC

Sandy1975

My husband and I are thinking about staying in NYC before our cruise. We are going on the Summit on 5/24 and need to get to NYC on Friday first thing in the AM to take care of some things. Originally we booked the Westin in Jersey City and planned on using the path to get to NYC but now we are toying with the idea of staying in the Times Square area (Four Points) Friday to Sunday. If we do this, we can come and go as we please and remove an extra layer of transportation.

We are hoping to be at the hotel by 7:30 / 8 am at the latest. We will need to use the Lincoln tunnel. Do you have any idea of how bad traffic can be around 7 am for crossing the lincoln tunnel? Will using Holland tunnel and / or George Washington bridge and driving through the city to get to the hotel be better? We are coming from Ohio. Thanks

If you get to the tunnel by 7 am it shouldn't be too bad...provided there are no accidents and any lanes that may have been closed due to the perpetual overnight construction projects have been reopened.

Do you realize it will cost a minimum of $50 a night to park your car in Manhattan? And you won't get in and out privileges for that $50+, so if you take your car out during the day it's going to cost even more.

I think your idea of staying in Jersey City is better.

Edited by njhorseman

If you get to the tunnel by 7 am it shouldn't be too bad...provided there are no accidents and any lanes that may have been closed due to the perpetual overnight construction projects have been reopened.

Do you realize it will cost a minimum of $50 a night to park your car in Manhattan? And you won't get in and out privileges for that $50+, so if you take your car out during the day it's going to cost even more.

I think your idea of staying in Jersey City is better.

Yes, i know parking at the hotel in Manhattan will be double from what i will pay at the Westin in Jersey. I still need to call the Four Points to see how their valet parking works, especially since we are arriving pretty early. We are using points for our stay and as of now we are holding reservations at both places. We'll probably make a decision by the weekend and cancel one of them.

I used to live in Jersey City and worked midtown NCY but i never drove my car in the city as Path /subways worked great.

Edited by Sandy1975

Yes, i know parking at the hotel in Manhattan will be double from what i will pay at the Westin in Jersey. I still need to call the Four Points to see how their valet parking works, especially since we are arriving pretty early. We are using points for our stay and as of now we are holding reservations at both places. We'll probably make a decision by the weekend and cancel one of them.

I used to live in Jersey City and worked midtown NCY but i never drove my car in the city as Path /subways worked great.

I'd be surprised if they offer valet parking, and there's no indication on their website that they do. Here's the two parking mentions I can find:"24-hour local parking $49-$59" and "Local parking facilities available nearby for a fee" .

Edited by njhorseman

I'd be surprised if they offer valet parking, and there's no indication on their website that they do. Here's the two parking mentions I can find:"24-hour local parking $49-$59" and "Local parking facilities available nearby for a fee" .

Thanks. They have valet parking for 49 but it is daily so since we are checking out around 8:30 / 9, instead of just charging us for the those extra hours, the hotel will charge for the entire day. I haven't experienced that with hotels in other cities but I guess it is due to been NYC. I found parking about 1/2 mile from the hotel that will be a total of around $78. I used best parking app.

I looked further at my options for parking in Jersey around the ferry terminals and I think this is becoming more of a possibility now. We are now considering parking overnight at Port Imperial in Weehawken and take the ferry to Midtown and then walk from there to the hotel. We won't have much luggage. Total cost is same as staying at the Westin in Jersey and using the Path to go back/forth to the city.

Thanks for all your insight!

Edited by Sandy1975