Canadian flying out of FLL flight times?

CathSmith

I know that there are numerous threads on this forum and the Florida forum regarding this. I just wanted to see if a few more details will help with choosing a flight time to leave FLL. Arriving back on Equinox March 14, 2016 after 10 night cruise. Am a Canadian citizen flying Westjet directly to Toronto. Is a noon flight feasible given these variables? Canadian citizen going through Customs at the cruise-port, peak times at FLL (March), direct flight to Canada. Also could choose a 1:20 flight for about an extra $100.

That "Should" work, barring the unexpected.

Keep in mind for an international flight, check in may well be earlier than a domestic flight, and you can check with WestJet on that.

The "Unexpected" I speak of is potentially slow Customs processing but given the number of ships in Fort Lauderdale on your disembarkation day (from http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/212-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida/March_2016/) and that you should be disembarking at Terminal 18, which is a large terminal making processing easier, I'd think you should be fine in booking that flight.

Edited by WpgCruise

I'm a Canadian who flies FLL-Buffalo.

I generally book 10:30 to 12, depending on availability and NEVER had an issue.

We walk off the ship with our own luggage usually by 7:30.

Potential delays:

-finding your luggage (avoid this by carrying your bags off)

-waiting for a shuttle (avoid this by taking a cab)

-ship late getting in to port or ship late clearing customs (unfortunately, nothing you can do to control this).

I feel comfortable booking an early flight knowing the variables I can control. So for I've been lucky. If you have zero tolerance for risk or are a worrier, then pay the extra money to book the later flight .. but have something to occupy your time at the airport while you are sitting around waiting.

I'm Canadian. We fly back to Wpg, usually through Chicago or Toronto. You should be fine with a noon flight. Of course there are no guarantees because the unforeseen can happen, but if you disembark with your own luggage at the first call and grab a taxi you will have ample time. There have been times when the only flight we could get back is late afternoon - believe that makes for a very long, tiring day.

If you request an early time slot you will be fine. We traditionally do a very early self debark and have regularly been through security at Ft. Lauderdale no later than 8:00am. The downside is the lugging of bags down the stairs but it works for us.

I have flown from FLL to Toronto multiple times post-cruise as early as 11:30am without difficulty. I have always done self-disembarkation very early though to beat the rush and avoid getting hung up in long customs lines at the port. Security at FLL can be quite hit and miss as well, so best to give yourself as much airport time as possible!

I wouldn't hesitate to book the noon Westjet flight though as long as you can handle getting your own luggage off the ship! You'll likely be at the airport by 9am!