NCL depriving us of simple pleasures

For everyone that dumped NCL to go back to Carnival... Carnival has banned bringing bottles of water/soda, etc. on the ship to stop people from smuggling liquor on the ship. You can still bring cans (canned water?) I wonder if they examine mouth wash too?

For everyone that dumped NCL to go back to Carnival... Carnival has banned bringing bottles of water/soda, etc. on the ship to stop people from smuggling liquor on the ship. You can still bring cans (canned water?) I wonder if they examine mouth wash too?

Yeah, that's why there's no point in 'jumping' ship to different cruise lines because just when you think one cruise line is being ridiculous with whatever, here comes the competitor being even more outrageous. It like a contest of who can pull out a rule that will that will make the most money and right now, Carnival won because their water bottles are $2.99 a case/pack - who doesn't see the profit in buying couple of those?

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

As they monitor the boards....especially the competitions board.... I bet they will now

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is us, exactly. So much variety out there...we go where it fits us best at the moment...itinerary, ship, price, etc.

Us too

And fwiw. I never bring any drinks of any ki nd onboard with us

I am amazed at the addiction to soda and how pax will just lug the crap versus just buying it onboard

The free drinks are fine but whatever

I am also amazed at the high level of alcoholic drinks pax seem to need

I'm no teetotaler but it would take me too many vodka rocks to get a buzz so its just not happening as I don't spend that kind of money on alcohol nor do I ever qualify for the free ubp in an inside

Doesn't bother me at all.... I just order a drink when I want it and pay for it

Flame away but really no need to as it is IMHO and ymmv

Edited by luvtheships

Us too

And fwiw. I never bring any drinks of any ki nd onboard with us

I am amazed at the addiction to soda and how pax will just lug the crap versus just buying it onboard

The free drinks are fine but whatever

I am also amazed at the high level of alcoholic drinks pax seem to need

I'm no teetotaler but it would take me too many vodka rocks to get a buzz so its just not happening as I don't spend that kind of money on alcohol nor do I ever qualify for the free ubp in an inside

Doesn't bother me at all.... I just order a drink when I want it and pay for it

Flame away but really no need to as it is IMHO and ymmv

I totally agree that soda addiction is a problem in general. I'm also fine with the included drinks onboard...I drink water the majority of the time anyway on a daily basis.

As for alcohol, we also wouldn't qualify for the "free" UBP because we stay in inside cabins. DH and I do enjoy some mixed drinks on vacation and sometimes wine with dinner, but the cost of the UBP would be far greater than paying per drink as we go. I'm different than you regarding tolerance...it doesn't take that much for me to get a buzz. And I want to remember my vacation! ;)

But of course to each their own, that's why they have choices.

Edited by bangzoom6877

Maybe so, but I just listened to yesterday's Frank DelRio conference call and he mentioned that he had very little negative feedback about the institution of the $7.95 room service fee. Comments here and in other social media fall on deaf ears.

Do I understand this correctly .....for a morning coffee and fruit, I will now need to pay $7.95. If I am wrong (I hope) so please tell me....cruising in February 2016.

Do I understand this correctly .....for a morning coffee and fruit, I will now need to pay $7.95. If I am wrong (I hope) so please tell me....cruising in February 2016.

Based on the menus people have posted so far, that would be $7.95. Coffee and pastries would not have a fee, but fruit does.

I totally agree that soda addiction is a problem in general. I'm also fine with the included drinks onboard...I drink water the majority of the time anyway on a daily basis.

As for alcohol, we also wouldn't qualify for the "free" UBP because we stay in inside cabins. DH and I do enjoy some mixed drinks on vacation and sometimes wine with dinner, but the cost of the UBP would be far greater than paying per drink as we go. I'm different than you regarding tolerance...it doesn't take that much for me to get a buzz. And I want to remember my vacation! ;)

But of course to each their own, that's why they have choices.

The funny thing is that when we get a liter of sangria or I have 2 high quality beers I will feel something but 2 vodka rocks...not a thing!!!! Lol

We too just get a bottle of wine at dinner 2x in 7 days and it lasts

Mixed drinks and foo foo drinks about 6 between the 2 of us per cruise

On the ba (true ksf deal)recently with my college kids

I kept saying lets make our own little wine and cheese tasting experience and the wine bar in the buffet seemed well priced IMHO and the cheeses at the buffet were superb

Never got to do it though even though we had 12 days in January.....still too many other great things to do

I'm planning on doing it though next jan on the gem (where we got a true ksf or we would have done the ba again which was doing the phony ksf for next jan ATM)

I hope they brought the wine bar onto the gem but don't recall it last we sailed her

Anybody know?

The funny thing is that when we get a liter of sangria or I have 2 high quality beers I will feel something but 2 vodka rocks...not a thing!!!! Lol

We too just get a bottle of wine at dinner 2x in 7 days and it lasts

Mixed drinks and foo foo drinks about 6 between the 2 of us per cruise

On the ba (true ksf deal)recently with my college kids

I kept saying lets make our own little wine and cheese tasting experience and the wine bar in the buffet seemed well priced IMHO and the cheeses at the buffet were superb

Never got to do it though even though we had 12 days in January.....still too many other great things to do

I'm planning on doing it though next jan on the gem (where we got a true ksf or we would have done the ba again which was doing the phony ksf for next jan ATM)

I hope they brought the wine bar onto the gem but don't recall it last we sailed her

Anybody know?

The wine and cheese sounds terrific! We avoid the buffet in the evenings but do they have this at lunch time? That's when we are more likely to get food at the buffet.

I have on average two drinks per day. We get a bottle of wine at Le Bistro, and maybe one more during the cruise, or we just get wine by the glass if we don't want the same kind of wine but feel like having some with dinner. I also like the drink tastings, like the martini tasting or getting a martini flight, and the margarita tasting. Those wouldn't be included with the UBP but we like to do them. We also plan to go to the ice bar one time, since we've never been to one and we are so curious! So we like several things that wouldn't be included with the UBP. It just works better for us to pay as we go.

However, I will admit that if we didn't always sail in inside cabins, and we qualified for one of the promos from a few months ago, we would have gotten the UBP out of the different choices. But we booked in September and we did get an OBC with our inside cabin anyway, plus the extra Latitudes Points for booking more than 9 months before the sailing date. And we have two connecting inside cabins, so each one has OBC added. :)

I'm afraid everybody is going to hate me for this, but I really don't mind about the room service charge, because I don't use room service very often. I'm aware that NCL is taking various cost-cutting measures that subtract from that sense of luxury, but I also appreciate NCL because the fares are affordable.

I'm afraid everybody is going to hate me for this, but I really don't mind about the room service charge, because I don't use room service very often. I'm aware that NCL is taking various cost-cutting measures that subtract from that sense of luxury, but I also appreciate NCL because the fares are affordable.

Agree with this.

I mean, it's always been customary to leave tips on cruises. These tips were replaced with the DSC on major lines and now the room service tips are replaced with a flat fare.

I'm not a room service fan at all, though. I'd rather walk to the buffet.

Kind of hard to get worked up about that when carnival only charges $2.99 for a 12 pack of water. Given that price point I can't imagine that anyone other than alcohol smugglers bothered to bring bottled water on board. Given that NCL charges nearly as much for a bottle of water as Carnival does for 12 if NCL were to adopt this change it would be a real problem.

Yep! I can imagine some of the great rates or perks people threw away over this :D

If you genuinely threw a strop over something so minor as eating in your room then you deserve to miss a good deal

Thank you for your post.

A few years ago we were on a family cruise to Alaska on the Pearl. This cruise was the last cruise and for my mother. She had terminal cancer and had only a few weeks left. She spent most of the time in a wheelchair and in her balcony suite to enjoy the views of Alaska. She was limited in what she can do so most of the time we brought food to her suite and ate with her there. This was very peaceful and comfortable for all in the family. Each one of us took turns staying with her. Having the ability to bring food into the suite to share with my mother was a great. Unfortunately, she passed away 3 days after the cruise but we all knew this was coming but we all had great memories of having breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinners with my mother in her suite.

I will never forget that week on NCL..... too bad NCL does not welcome this anymore. We are seriously considering cancelling our cruise on the Epic next year.

Yep! I can imagine some of the great rates or perks people threw away over this :D

Yeah, I wasn't missing a 3 week $2000 deal (1 week a promo, the other 2 great rates) over a food takeout policy. Especially on a cruise line that can sit more or less seat half the passengers during breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner because you know, they invent Freestyle / Anytime dining and have yet to turn one of the MDR into a 6:15pm /8:15pm scheduled one. Those 3 weeks on the cheap for a solo traveler with the current pricing policy, tho; those 3 weeks....:D

Thank you for your post.

A few years ago we were on a family cruise to Alaska on the Pearl. This cruise was the last cruise and for my mother. She had terminal cancer and had only a few weeks left. She spent most of the time in a wheelchair and in her balcony suite to enjoy the views of Alaska. She was limited in what she can do so most of the time we brought food to her suite and ate with her there. This was very peaceful and comfortable for all in the family. Each one of us took turns staying with her. Having the ability to bring food into the suite to share with my mother was a great. Unfortunately, she passed away 3 days after the cruise but we all knew this was coming but we all had great memories of having breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinners with my mother in her suite.

I will never forget that week on NCL..... too bad NCL does not welcome this anymore. We are seriously considering cancelling our cruise on the Epic next year.

Its very touching the story regarding your mother and condolences for your loss. Pertaining to the food policy - I guess you have read the news on USA Today, Yahoo, Skrift, Travelpulse and here on Cruise Critic news section that they reversed the decision. Here's the article from USA Today and Cruise Critic:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2015/05/26/norwegian-cruise-food-ban/27970863/

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6382

I guess then, you can decide if you still wish to cancel your next reservation with NCL knowing the update now.

Edited by maywell

The wine and cheese sounds terrific! We avoid the buffet in the evenings but do they have this at lunch time? That's when we are more likely to get food at the buffet.

I have on average two drinks per day. We get a bottle of wine at Le Bistro, and maybe one more during the cruise, or we just get wine by the glass if we don't want the same kind of wine but feel like having some with dinner. I also like the drink tastings, like the martini tasting or getting a martini flight, and the margarita tasting. Those wouldn't be included with the UBP but we like to do them. We also plan to go to the ice bar one time, since we've never been to one and we are so curious! So we like several things that wouldn't be included with the UBP. It just works better for us to pay as we go.

However, I will admit that if we didn't always sail in inside cabins, and we qualified for one of the promos from a few months ago, we would have gotten the UBP out of the different choices. But we booked in September and we did get an OBC with our inside cabin anyway, plus the extra Latitudes Points for booking more than 9 months before the sailing date. And we have two connecting inside cabins, so each one has OBC added. :)

On the ba they have a self service wine tasting bar in the buffet and I think possible elsewhere too

It has nice long stemmed wine glasses and a choice of about 6 types of wine that you can get either a taste a quarter glass half glass or a full glass I believe

Prices vary from $3.75 to $9.35. Give or take

The evening cheese buffet counter was incredible and the buffet seating on the ba is soooo nice that it is actually a place pax were sitting and enjoying with their families etc at night after the dinner rush. I thought the afternoon cheeses buffet was not quite as well stocked and also the buffet was too busy anyway. 9 pm was a nice time to do this. IMHO

It seemed like a great opportunity to gather a nice assortment of cheeses and a couple of glasses of various wines

You could get as many wine glasses as needed and just fill each one with a different wine and do your own wine tasting

I think you just needed to swipe your card at the machine

It's a wine by the glass vending machine....

I really hope they have these machines on the gem

If not the probable have the crew manned bar in the buffet anyway which they also had on the ba of course

I just liked the idea of being able to get a 1/4 1/2 or full glass for tasting purposes at the vending machine

On the ba they have a self service wine tasting bar in the buffet and I think possible elsewhere too

It has nice long stemmed wine glasses and a choice of about 6 types of wine that you can get either a taste a quarter glass half glass or a full glass I believe

Prices vary from $3.75 to $9.35. Give or take

The evening cheese buffet counter was incredible and the buffet seating on the ba is soooo nice that it is actually a place pax were sitting and enjoying with their families etc at night after the dinner rush. I thought the afternoon cheeses buffet was not quite as well stocked and also the buffet was too busy anyway. 9 pm was a nice time to do this. IMHO

It seemed like a great opportunity to gather a nice assortment of cheeses and a couple of glasses of various wines

You could get as many wine glasses as needed and just fill each one with a different wine and do your own wine tasting

I think you just needed to swipe your card at the machine

It's a wine by the glass vending machine....

I really hope they have these machines on the gem

If not the probable have the crew manned bar in the buffet anyway which they also had on the ba of course

I just liked the idea of being able to get a 1/4 1/2 or full glass for tasting purposes at the vending machine

I definitely have to do this and create my own wine flight! Thanks for the info! :)

Thank you for your post.

Sorry for your loss.

NCL definitely welcomes passengers to take food back to their cabins, as this policy (which BTW was never enforced) has been reversed.

Sorry for your loss.

NCL definitely welcomes passengers to take food back to their cabins, as this policy (which BTW was never enforced) has been reversed.

Of course it was enforced, at least in part. You apparently have forgotten the reports from passengers who weren't allowed to get take-out from, for instance, O'Sheehans. While I don't recall any reports of folks being stopped from taking food from the BUFFET, there were numerous reports of people not being allowed to take meals or desserts out of restaurants.