Andalsnes & Olden with a baby

cobrakatie

I'm looking for some advice on these two ports. We are cruising on Britannia with our baby (14 months) soon and I wondered if there is anything at these two ports when you disembark -restaurants/coffee shops etc? We think the excursions will be a bit ambitious so would rather do our own thing but is there much there when you get off the ship?

Not much in Olden which only really exists to serve cruise passengers.

Pleasant walk to a lake or along the fjord. A few shops, mostly selling very expensive 'tourist tat' and a small supermarket.

We only drove through Andalsnes which is a larger town, but again there didn't appear to be a lot to do there.

The other unknown is the weather. Neither will be pleasant if it is raining.

It can be lovely just chilling and enjoying the scenery. In each port take your time leaving the ship and just wander around. You are in beautiful places, I for one don't need anything else [emoji4]

Will say that Norway is so expensive why buy food/drinks on shore when you have a lovely ship full of food[emoji4]

I love Olden, it is Beautiful, the little land train would be fun for all of you. If you like to walk it is all quite level and you can wander up to the base of a waterfall and visit a couple of little churches. We have been there 3 times, and it is a port I look forward to, just to enjoy some quiet peaceful time. The ship will run its Birksdell glacier tour here, as you get off the ship as well as the land train stop there are people selling private excursions.

Andalsnes, I am less fond of. There is a small town, and from memory a train station right next to where you dock, but don't recall where it went. We have only been here once, and I remember it was a disappointing day, I wish I had booked an excursion or done more research on the train etc. when we passed the station the queues were long (fellow pax) so we didn't join them and decided to walk around the area.

When we docked in Olden there was the land train and double decker open topped bus running sight seeing tours round the valley. There were also companies running trips to the Briksdal glacier for those that didnt want to pay P&Os prices. Once there you can get a noddy train to the top. To walk up would take a good hours slow stroll, its very scenic and I did see people doing it with children in buggies.

The early slots or the vans book up quick so if your planning on doing that, Id get off and book as soon as the ship docks, the go back on board for breakfast.