Hotels with Shuttle service to the Long Beach Port

kdinkus1

Hi again,

Are there any inexpensive breakfast places near Hotel Maya (ie/ IHOP, Dennys, McDonalds) to go the morning of embarkation?

thanks

There's really not much on the side of the channel where the Maya is located. Take the Passport bus across and get off at the Pine and Ocean stop...A couple of blocks up Pine is Long Beach's best breakfast spot:

http://www.omeletteinn.com/

I think one problem with trying to find hotels nowadays is that if you go on a hotel's website, there will often be info about "nearby" attractions. About some eight or so years ago, I was researching hotels in the Ventura/Oxnard area for a short "almost staycation" for our family and thought it was funny that a few listed Disneyland as a close by attraction. I guess for some people it's all relative (it's close compare to say a hotel in Idaho). But unless the info includes freeway mileage, it's pretty misleading.

Google maps helps with mileage (and also driving time if you check out a drive at about the same time you plan to go -- don't expect to trust driving time for a rush hour jaunt to be the same if checking Google maps at midnight). But even then, it's not going to be a good source of info about a location, which is why it's better to ask locals. Ask people here about a hotel you're considering or a day's itinerary for touring LA first and you might save yourself some grief.

I appreciate everyone's comments about the hotels in Long Beach. As you know, we had booked the Hilton Long Beach Hotel for January but found a bargain price for the Queen Mary so we changed the booking. I am very excited to begin our cruise in this way. Thanks so much for everyone's comments! :D

Edited by gammy3gks

Thank you for all of the information that you provide. We stayed and parked at the Hotel Maya. It was a nice hotel, although very noisy since they were having a special event the night that we stayed there. Parking/shuttle was flawless.

We decided to eat dinner at Louisiana Charlies, a cajun restaurant, at Shoreline Village. It was terrific...the food was good and the prices were fair.

Again, thank you for all that you do for ALL of us!

michele

What are the thoughts about the Holiday Inn-Downtown Long beach off of Atlantic Ave?

We stayed here in October 2013, and I agree with others that yes it's not in the best part of town. But after researching and calling the recommended hotels mentioned here, I couldn't find one that included the necessary 16 nights of parking that was needed for a 15 night cruise. There's an underground parking garage and my husband felt our vehicle was safe. After driving 8 hours, dealing with the LA traffic, we didn't have the energy to explore the area. Just picked up fast food and ate in the room.

I am now looking for a room for our January cruise to Hawaii, and once again will need 16 nights of parking. From calls that I've previously made, some of the better hotels want to charge an additional fee for parking on top of the room.

Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel other than the Holiday Inn, that includes parking for so many nights?

Thanks, Therese

Forgot to mention that putting aside the location, The Holiday Inn was clean and had just been remodeled/updated when we stayed there in October 2013. They gave us a great rate that included all the parking.

If we can't find different accommodations that includes the 16 nights of parking for our next cruise in January, guess we'll go back to the Holiday Inn.

• 7 months later...
What are anyone's thoughts on the Courtyard Mariott Long Beach Downtown? I pulled it up on Expedia website and has a good rating of 94%. Still a little pricey but anything is right now, especially with the dollar.

It makes my Long Beach "C List"...It's just a little bit outside my prime area, but still walkable to most attractions and to the Free Passport shuttle...though the area starts getting a little less attractive as you get that far east...definitely acceptable, though...

[quote name='Bruin Steve'] ...You've already walked over 7 blocks and you are only at 4th and Atlantic...You'd still have to walk another three to four blocks to get to Walmart...and that still isn't in a very good neighborhood [/QUOTE]

FYI, Walmart is closing at the end of January. I'm mentioning this since it's recommended now and then for a place to "stock up" pre-cruise.