Gratuities On Ship

Raxter54

So, if I understand this correctly, the gratuities will be charged to my Sail & Sign account on the second day of the cruise. Is there any way to pre-pay these before the cruise? Don't particularly like loosing my $50 OBC almost before the cruise begins.....

If you booked through Carnival, I believe you can prepay them online. If you booked through a TA, call them and they should be able to help you prepay your gratuities.

That said, many people would like to have the OBC to use toward the gratuities and would just let them hit their S&S account onboard. Either way you end up paying the same thing. It seems it is only a mental issue?

I do it when booking. I forgot once and found out you can not do it on line. You can call Carnival, if you booked thru them or on their web site and have them added. If you booked on line thru a third party or if you booked thru a travel agent you will need to contact them to have the gratuities added.

If you booked through Carnival, I believe you can prepay them online. If you booked through a TA, call them and they should be able to help you prepay your gratuities.

That said, many people would like to have the OBC to use toward the gratuities and would just let them hit their S&S account onboard. Either way you end up paying the same thing. It seems it is only a mental issue?

I'm sure it's a mental issue, it would be for me. Using OBC for a drink or excursion would seem "free" and more fun:)

I'm sure it's a mental issue, it would be for me. Using OBC for a drink or excursion would seem "free" and more fun:)

Mental? Perhaps. I'll have to ask the voices in my head what they think [emoji4]

I like to leave the ship with 0$ in my account. Going from $50 to -$130 on the 2nd day just doesn't sit right with me...

Edited by Raxter54

I guess for us, we aren't big drinkers and don't do ship excursions, using the OBC for tips would be a more practical use of the credit. Of course that means keeping my wife away from the jewelry, LOL. We never opt to pre-pay gratuities, I like the money in my pocket until the last second they have to pry it from my hands.

Either way you end up paying the same thing. It seems it is only a mental issue?

^^ This ^^

Exactly, the end result is the same.

I like to leave the ship with 0$ in my account. Going from $50 to -$130 on the 2nd day just doesn't sit right with me...

Believe me, either way you will leave the ship with 0$ in your S&S account - Carnival will insist it is paid down to a ZERO balance before you set foot on the gangplank :D

Edited by lizardhowson

Slightly different question about gratuities - our cruise departs San Juan at 10pm, then at the end we get back to San Juan at 7am. Will we pay gratuities for those days?

Gratuities are usually charged based on the number of nights, not the number of days. So for a seven night cruise, where you actually have 8 days or partial days, you would pay tips based on 7 nights.

Edited by dioxide45