Qm2 B6 Balconies

PAULNJILL

I was in cabin 8020 and loved it. We initially booked a standard outside but were "upgraded" to the obstructed view balcony. Even though there are lifeboats directly in front, you can still see the ocean underneath the boats. Also, the boats are extended out quite a distance from your balcony rail, so you have a nice view of the Promenade Deck below.

The forward location of cabin 8020 could not be beat. Very close to the library, gym, Commodore Club, and buffet restaurant. The only awkward spot to get to was the aft pool area. Even though it is on Deck 8, you had to go down a deck, then back up to access it unless you walk through the Todd English Restaurant. Poor planning.

QM2 is an amazing ship ... Bon Voyage!

I've attached a pic of the cabin.

Ernie

Cabin8020ObstructedView-vi.jpg

Ernie:We will be on the QM2 in October, and actually we had an obstructed cabin on deck 8, but we did get an "upgrade" in a cabin on deck 5 with an in-hull balcony. I hope I did not make a mistake by taking this upgrade...but am just glad to be on a crossing.

Now...my realy concern is our Delta air issue....I am in a panic thinking that they will cancel our flights etc. My plan B is to just stay on the ship and return to NY.

(We are on a crossing from NY to Southampton, Oct.8)

Maybe you can give me some reassuring advice...please, please!

Grace

Hi Grace,

Given the choice of the obstructed view on Deck 8, or the Hull Balcony on Deck 5 .... I would go with the hull balcony any day. You are closer to the water line, you have no obstruction, and the balcony will be a bit larger. On a crossing especially I think the hull balconies are perfect as they are a bit protected from the elements. Don't give it another thought and I think you will be pleased with your decision.

As for Delta, I would not worry. There is a good chance that Delta will file bankruptcy this week, but I don't anticipate ANY disruptions to the customer or operations. It will be "business as usual" which is exactly how this type of bankruptcy is structured. It gives the airline the chance to reorganize *without* disrupting operations. Your flight will NOT be canceled. In fact, Delta is actually expanding International operations and a bankruptcy will not change that. Most, if not all changes that occur in this type of bankruptcy are invisible to the customer. For instance, the Delta frequent flyer program Skymiles will be unchanged, and miles will NOT be lost. Delta will retain it's founding position in the Skyteam alliance and I only see that alliance getting stronger. FYI, United and USAir are currently in bankruptcy, but still operating business as usual, and Continental has filed bankruptcy three times and they are actually doing the best of the legacy carriers. What you may see happen in the future, is that Delta will combine with another legacy carrier like Northwest or Continental. A bankruptcy does make an airline more attractive to buyers and mergers since much of the debt is erased. Of course if this were to happen, it would not be for quite some time. Most airlines today do not have a the cash on hand to make large expenditures like buying another airline.

I'm hoping that Delta filing bankruptcy will be a good thing, as the intent is to emerge in a year or so as a much stronger airline. Delta currently has a good management team at the helm, and I have confidence they have a viable business plan in place for future profitability. In fact were it not for exorbitant fuel prices, Delta would have posted a modest profit during the last two quarters. The airline has a good plan in place to cut costs, but it's not enough when compared to rising fuel costs.

I hope that dispels any fears you may have, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Ernie

Paul..An FYI...I booked a tour in Quebec yesterday with quebeccitytours.com. It was the Tour 2 and even though on the website it said it was available only in the afternoon (which wouldn't work because it would take to long and we would miss the ship!) Andre Ray said he would do it for us at the 9:00 am time. Maybe you can look and at the site and see if you are interested. Their 800 number is 800 672-5232 his email is quebectours@caramail.com LuAnn

My family and I have sailed on QM2 in B6 (obstructed view) and B5 (hull balcony).

Like eroller, I prefer the hull balconies. The view is better, and they are somewhat protected from the wind.

I can understand that others may prefer the openness of the B6 balconies, but I don't. I found the view of the lifeboats less than wonderful.

Just my 2 cents.

Ernie and yojimbo: my thanks for the words of encouragment. Tonight I will sleep much better!

Now to get the suitcase to fit all my clothes. I travel light, using only a 22x14x9 Eddie Bauer wheelie. Plus my big purse (also a backpack) and a small wheelie to take on board the plane.

Thanks...Grace

Hi Paul & Gill

I have just come back from NY after the 27th Aug crossing in a B6 obstructed view cabin and I have also sailed in the past in a Hull cabin.

In my view I think the trick is to choose an obstructed view cabin that is located between the life boats, that way you get a partial view. We had 8058 midships and just a nip down stairs to kings court. The other thing to note is that you need port side to stand any chance of getting any sun! We had 2.5 days of sun on the balcony and it was fantastic, the poor folks on the starboard had none also with the cabins on deck 8 you look down on the promenade deck and can see people wandering around, it felt less issolated than the hull cabins and remember if you are fortunate enough to get any sun from a hull balcony you can not see any thing except the hull when lying on the sun lounger!

Have a fantastic trip!

Rob

We are in a B5 in hull balcony cabin and have to say I'm still quite happy with my choice. Having seen Ernie's photo, I'm not sure I would want that view!! Also as I've said before I think you are better off being further down the ship escpecially on a crossing!! Just my opinion of course. Now if we were doing a caribbean cruise then maybe a cabin further up with perspex glass would be more beneficial. I have to say that we have a balcony cabin on Aurora when we go to the caribbean, but we actually don't use it to it's full potential!! It is nice however to have a full length window to let some daylight through!! Whatever cabin you are in I'm sure it's going to be wonderful anyway. Paul and Jill, now I don't have to worry about my kids snoring (yes according to my son my daughter snores just as bad as him) keeping you awake!!

Elaine

Paul..An FYI...I booked a tour in Quebec yesterday with quebeccitytours.com. It was the Tour 2 and even though on the website it said it was available only in the afternoon (which wouldn't work because it would take to long and we would miss the ship!) Andre Ray said he would do it for us at the 9:00 am time. Maybe you can look and at the site and see if you are interested. Their 800 number is 800 672-5232 his email is quebectours@caramail.com LuAnn

That tour looks rather interesting and a hell of a lot cheaper than what Cunard want to do something similar for!!

Elaine

Ernie

Thanks for the photo. We are in a b6 also. One quick question. I noticed that the bed covers were not on. Is this standard for the daytime? On QE2 the beds where always fully made.

Our beds never had bedspreads the entire trip on QM2. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe because they were made up as twins? I didn't really bother me, but it would have been nice to have bedspreads.

Ernie

Can anyone advise how obstructed B6 balconies are on deck 8 of QM2 we have just been offered one and would like to know what you can / cannot see from the balcony.

Is the view completely obstructed or is it a good view ?

Hi, We did the Aug 9th crossing on deck 6 in hull and it was wonderful....would suggest it to all who have some doubts...

The Golds

Hi, We did the Aug 9th crossing on deck 6 in hull and it was wonderful....would suggest it to all who have some doubts...

The Golds

Paul and Jill have been upgraded to an obstructed cabin on deck 8. They are not in one of the in hull cabins!! I did wonder in the brochure why those cabins on deck 8 were cheaper than the in hull and considered changing at one point, but so glad that I left my booking as it is after seeing Ernies photo. Now if I was being upgraded to that cabin say from an inside cabin (which is what my children are in), then hey any kind of view is better than no view at all and at no extra cost to myself, I'd go for it!!!!!! Of course Paul and Jill once you've had a cabin with a balcony, nothing else will do again!!!!! Trust me I know from experience. Having a suite next year on Arcadia. Hadn't better get too cosy with that one now had I ;) !!!! I'm sure that experience will not be repeated in a hurry!!!!!

Elaine

Elaine....Paul..I did get an email yesterday from Andre saying he would be happy to provide this tour for anyone else wanting to go....LuAnn

LuAnn,I sent an email to quebec tours regarding doing the same tour as yourself,but have had no reply after 36hours.I have found another tour operator called Dupont Tours that do the same trips for very similiar prices.Maybe I will have to book with them if they do not answer my email.Have you found a tour operator in Sydney,as we would like to do the Baddeck tour?If I can't find one I will book this trip on board.

Would you like to meet up for a drink,if so our cabin is 11021.I think Elaine might be organising something.

Grace.

Archived