Disney versus Royal Caribbean for Alaska Trip?

RazFamily

We're thinking about a cruise, and have it narrowed down to Royal Caribbean (Jewel of the Sea) and Disney (Wonder). Both leave end of June, the RC dates and departure location (Seattle vs. Vancouver) are slightly better. And RC is about 2,500 less than Disney, for all four of us.

My wife and I have two daughters, ages 11 and 13. Athletic/into sports, social butterflies, love good food, love activities (versus just poolside hangout, though they dig that too).

I've never Cruised before. Could you guys give me some advice on what's the better choice for our two kids, and some of the pros/cons?

The RC is less money and the dates are better...but at the same time, I don't want to skimp if the Disney cruise would be that much better for them.

Thanks so much!

RR

realtistically, how much free time will your kids have?

Hopefully you are choosing an itinerary with long port times, so your days will be busy with activities and sightseeing. Maybe one sea day and that should be glacier viewing time.

There are a number of family trip reports in the STICKY above. Parents tend to be more critical so the reports will be a helpful resource. The first line of the report usually indicates the ship, itinerary, date and who travelled.

No Disney reports in 2014. One in 2013 .... go the end of reply #45 after the list was completed a report was added.

IMHO the first question is what scenic cruising do they do.

Usually one way out of Vancouver is superior to roundtrips out of Seattle. Also any scenic that includes stop in Glacier Bay is superior to one that does Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier.

If you got Glacier Bay then comes down to do you value the Mouse activities versus the RCCL activities.

I looked at Disney the last time we sailed Alaska, I love their product, but couldn't justify the price and not getting Glacier Bay.

If you got Glacier Bay then comes down to do you value the Mouse activities versus the RCCL activities.

I looked at Disney the last time we sailed Alaska, I love their product, but couldn't justify the price and not getting Glacier Bay.

I would take Glacier Bay over the mouse.... how much do you love your kids?

Wait... Just had a look at the Jewel of the Sea itinery.... it does Sawyer... not GB. Time to look for another ship that does GB.

What's the price difference? I'm leaning my vote to the Wonder now.

Do the kids like ice cream? http://www.marthastewart.com/909325/visiting-la-casa-gelato-and-tasting-flavors#909325

Edited by xlxo

Look at the port times. There really isn't that much time to enjoy the ship. I would go least expensive. Your children will be OK, tire them out with hikes on land. Our kids are very active/athletic but fell in love with Alaska, for its beauty and awesomeness. What cruise line do you want to go on? You are paying for it!

We spent 15 amazing days on the Wonder on an EBPC 2 years ago. I got an AMAZING deal for the trip of a lifetime with my then 3 and 5 year old boys. But that was a Disney boat with 85 kids on board. We are headed to Alaska this summer, and we chose not to go with Disney because of the price, and the hassle of YVR. Our family would rather spend that $2500 on extra special shore excursion than on the ship itself.

Edited by momto2js

I live and die for Disney cruises. We have done 9 both with and without kids.

That being said, we chose RCCL for our first Alaska cruise. The three big factors:

1. We wanted to do a northbound or southbound so we could visit some of interior Alaska.

2. It's not about the ship in this case. We love the Disney ships and have even been known to skip Caribbean ports and just stay on the ship and enjoy. We plan to spend a lot of time in Alaskan ports, and are kind of looking at the ship as a place to sleep.

3. Price- based on #1 & #2, the difference in price was not worth it.

Of course, it is different for everyone. So, RCCL now has the chance to win us over. (Something Carnival did not do when we took their cruised based strictly for the itinerary). We'll see how it goes in a few weeks.

we did a disney cruise about 15 months ago. Absolutely amazing (we are disney lovers). Couldn't agree more with previous post though-- we also chose royal carribean for this alaska trip- price was big difference (first a little difference around $3000, then big after the sale was applied for royal and kids sailed nearly free). Royal seems to have deals, dont see many for disney.

spent alot of time on disney cruise with characters, shows, and the dining. this trip its all of about alaska wildlife and scenery.

check itinerary too. we wanted to see more so chose southbound. Leave in 9 days so can let you know how it compares! :D

We love DCL - more than WDW! Very much enjoyed the inaugural Wonder trip to Alaska.; there was lots and lots of pixie dust on that trip. However, considering the age of your children, I would select an RCCL itinerary based upon the ports to be visited, time in the ports, and the round trip vs one way trip (north or south).