Princess or Celebrity: family with small kids

JRos

I know that these two cruise lines, Celebrity and Princess, aren't targeting families with young kids. We have sailed NCL and RCCL with our kids, who are 2 and 4. However, I really want to sail Celebrity Reflection or Equinox or the newest Princess ship. Our kids will be with us.

Will they be very bored?

We go in low season. I'm taking advantage of sailing while my kids are still little, when school is in session. I just hope there is enough to keep them occupied. I realize they don't have splash pads or large scale kids programming.

Both Princess and Celebrity have kids clubs, so the older child could go there - although, there may not be many kids on board. On our first cruise on RCI Grandeur, our son was almost 4, and we sailed during non peak time - there were about 40-50 kids on board, but only 10 or son in his age group. There were times when the kids club was empty, and he did not want to go in by himself. We had planned on him spending a lot of time with us, but he made a few friends and by end of cruise, my wife and I caught two shows while he went to kids club with his friends. Unfortunately, the younger child will not be able to attend the kids club.

One thing you can do is check out the current roll calls for a week you want to sail, and see if anyone else is bringing kids.

I personally, say no they won't be bored, even though I haven't traveled either of those lines. Plus, they'll have each other to play with, yes?

I did RCCL with dd, 3, and she wasn't bored. It was a ship full of old people, and only one other 3 year old she found to play with.We don't use the kid's clubs, and my kid still has a blast!!

I do pack a few things, she gets to bring a few toys. I pack a few tinkerbell gifts (I LOVE the craft store and target dollar spot). really, whatever they like at home, they can enjoy on the cruise.

On Disney, we did painting (the non messy stuff, with just water), i make magnets for the doors. I have paper dolls and other stuff for our next cruise. Anything new is fun. Markers, sticker books, small toys and crafts, a ball, puzzles, books.

Check those ships to see if they have a nursery? Do any of the clubs have open house hours (the nursery did on RCCL, so we could play with dd).

they can still go into the pools, and have a ton of fun.

We sailed the coral princess to the Panama Canal while school was in session. There were only 11 kids on board, but the kids club was fully staffed and did an excellent job. Princess allows children under 3 to visit the kids club with parental supervision anytime it is open, and the counsellors were very good about bringing my 2 year old son arts and craft supplies so he could play. There were also trikes and a small foam climbing area for toddlers. It made a huge difference for our family and helped us enjoy the cruise.

Edited by kitkat343

No nursery on Princess,but there will be times that a parent can go with one's child to the Pelicans room and supervise play time there. The 4-year-old can take part in that program.

On our first Princess cruise, my girl was five and there were two other 5-year olds (it was mid-February so school was in session; we took her out of kindergarten as we got a great deal). There were still some activities, but not as many as when there's many kids, but the hours were the same as usual.

We sailed Princess a lot until my kids were 5. They were never bored, even when they weren't potty trained and couldn't use the pools. The nice thing about Princess was that we could go together into the kids club any time it was open - which is unlike most (or all) of the other cruise lines. We also cruised off-peak times when there were fewer kids, but there were always some. Wish I had done even more at that age - so difficult once school begins!