CPAP on Carnival Miracle

maritaysa

DH has started using one since he last cruised. What do you usually bring when you bring yours as far as paperwork like a Px, ext cord, power strip? Has anyone had any of these items refused or taken away? Do we need to notify CCL special needs in advance? We cruise on 5/23. Anyone go on the Miracle lately with one? Thank you.

My husband has cruised with a C Pap for five cruises (including the Miracle) and I have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea so now we will have his and her C Pap machines ! How romantic !

I do let Special Need Dept know. I have purchased distilled water from them via our cabin steward, but they say the ship water is as filtered as distilled so for the last few cruises I've just used ship water.

No paper work is necessary. I do take an extra long extension cord and duck tape because the outlet is too far away from the side of the bed. Our cruise in Nov. will be challenging since we will have two machines, but I'll have to work that out.

As you can see in the photo, I tape the cord to the rug for the duration of the cruise to assure that we don't trip on it when we get up during the night. There has never been a problem. The stewards just vacuum right over the tape.

I hope this helps. I pack the extension cord right in the bag with the C Pap machine by the way. It is considered medical equipment so there should never be a problem with it.

IMG_0335_zpsa43fe29a.jpg

I have a CPAP and never had an issue. I have never notified Special Needs. I use this ships water as well.

I keep an extension cord with my CPAP but I ask the room steward for one and they usually bring me a 25 ft that goes around the edges of the room.

I used a CPAP on one cruise. I notified special needs and used ship water. I have been extremely lucky though and have gotten rid of my Cpap machine. I found a new dentist after my previous retired. What a gem! he told me I was an extreme tooth grinder and I needed a mouth guard, which might also relieve my snoring sleep apnea problem. Two years later I sleep like a baby without a cpap machine and wear a simple mouth guard that adjusts my jaw to allow the closed throat to open and breathe normally. This is the best thing that has happened to me in years, i am a stomach sleeper and had a terrible time sleeping with the cpap. Also Medicare pays for the mouth guard as durable medical equipment with a sleep apnea diagnosis. I told my dentist that there should be more advertising for the mouth guard, as opposed to the cpap. My bill, paid for by Medicare, was $17,000. for three months and my mouth guard was $500. paid for by Medicare and would also be paid for by dental insurance if you had that. Lovin life with my simple 5 ounce mouth guard, as opposed to my bulky 10 lb. cpap.

On the last cruise (April, 2015) We used the luggage mat to cover the extension cord during the night and then removed it in the morning. Worked very well. Better that the tape we had used before. CPAP stores in bedside lamp cabinet very well.

I used a CPAP machine on the Carnival Miracle on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii in December, 2014. I had no problem getting through CCL security on embarkation. I had previously notified Special Needs at CCL of my intentions to use one of the machines on the cruise. When DW and I got to our cabin; our cabin steward had a new extension cord in the room for me to use which I thought was a very nice gesture.

As to water for the humidifier; I am somewhat dubious of using the tap water on-board the ship for my CPAP Humidifier. I don't know for sure, but I suspect, that a trace of chlorine is placed in the ships water to stop any potential bacteria development in the water pipes and I do not care to breathe chlorine all night no matter how small the amount. So, I order a gallon of distilled water from Room Service which is more than enough for a 15 day cruise. In December, I think the cost was $3.00. This water can also be used to mix with Bourbon and is delicious. Hope you have Great cruise on the Carnival Miracle--she is a great ship!!

Gary