What do you think of MDR food

are both the mdr's the same? if not which on is better on the Gem?

I've only eaten in Magenta once in my two cruises on the Gem. It was def not good. Most of the meals at Grand Pacific were pretty good. Odd, because it's the same menu both places. It could just be that we were at Magenta on an off night, but it put me off enough that I didn't go back. lol

I guess the main thing to keep in mind is Magenta has the more relaxed dress code (which was why we went there, the guy in our group didn't want to put on pants lol)

(which makes it sound like he was running around in his boxers - he was in shorts :D)

Overall, we've enjoyed the MDR food on NCL. Food is subjective, and we are not foodies, but we have yet to dine in a specialty restaurant because we've found the MDR food to be very good. If something isn't to your liking, the waiters generally seem to be more than willing to bring you something else to eat.

What I have eaten in NCL dining rooms is good enough, but not good enough to warrant 2 hours of my time on vacation. It's not appreciably better than the buffet, in my experience. Plated nicer, nicer ambiance, served to you at the table, different selection... but for that amount of time it's worth $20-30 extra bucks to me to feel like I'm in a real restaurant and not a dining room. So we mostly eat in specialties or the buffet, depending on what we want -- efficiency or leisure.

We have always found the MDRs and Buffets good to very good. :) . Never felt we had to go to a speciality restaurant . I especially enjoyed trying new (to me ) foods at the buffet .

It's been a few years since I've been able to cruise NCL, but I liked the MDR food. I didn't think it was as good as Carnival, but I thought it was much better than Royal Caribbean. Food isn't a terribly important consideration in cruising for me, but it makes the overall experience better if you like the food. Keep in mind good food and service might mean something different to you than it does for me.