First Ever Cruise - Questions

Tipping in the UK

Porter etc at the port- not required. They wont turn it down but they will be well paid people.

Hotel- if they take the bags to the room a couple of £s. Maximum £5 if you have a lot of bags.

Taxi- hailed from the street. No tip required (and many don't). If you do then round up to the nearest £. So £8.10 - you would give £9. If it is £8.90 I would do £10.

Car that you have pre-booked. So from Heathrow to central London. £5

Restaurants. All staff in the UK have a minimum wage. The tips are additional- they are not their salary. Big variation here. I would say 10% is standard but on a bill of £100 some people would leave £10, some £2-3 and some nothing at all. They wont chase you out of the door and it is not compulsory. In a few places they suggest (and it is only a suggestion). amounts and I have seen those at 12.5% recently. I never do more than 10%. If they add them to the bill (sometimes done but it should be discretionary) ask for them to be removed if you want and leave a cash tip or pay as part of the bill with a card.

Getting a drink in a pub/bar when you go up and order it - no tip. If it is a place that has table service and generates a bill then they usually add 10% (again you don't have to pay it)

Edited by Barnaby100

Just curious for future reference; is it considered rude and would it offend someone if a person were to tip a porter or waiter etc in Europe? I know it isn't generally done there and it isn't necessary since those workers are paid better wages, but if someone from America goes there and just feels better tipping because it's culturally drilled in to us, would it be offensive?

Tipping is not expected but will not be offensive or rejected if tipped. If you like to tip, as suggested above aim for a round 10%.

There is less problem on tipping with the rest of the world unlike the US that's why you don't see many tipping questions asked and the subsequent heated comments.

A friend has a son with autism, and she tries to use Youtube etc to help prepare him for new experiences. If that works for you, here's a video of muster drill that gives a good idea of the sounds you'll hear.

The loud whistle/airhorn starts just after the 1:00 minute mark (if you want to prepare him for that), but the first minute shows how there can be a lot of PA announcements, and people chattering. Even if they have a quieter muster for autistic kids, there's no real avoiding the announcements and siren for the main muster.

Good things to explain to all the kids is that if they hear 7 short and one long whistle it's instructions from the captain that everyone should go to a certain place (you could avoid the word "emergency" depending on your own kids).

As everyone has to do what the captain says, like everyone has to obey the teacher at school, they have a practice run at the start of the cruise so everyone knows what the whistle sounds like, and where they're supposed to go.

Because the ship is so big, different people have different assigned places, but all your family will have the same place. If they're not with you and they hear the whistle, a grown up from the ship will help them get to the right place - they'll each get a special bracelet that helps the crew know where they should go, and it will be written on their seapass cards as well.

If the captain asks people to go to meeting place, it's important that everyone goes straight there, and meets the rest of the family at that spot. The ship is very big, and if everyone goes looking for other people you might miss them. The best place to meet is at the spot you've been told.

You will have a great time. I always bring a highlighter so I can highlight the compass for the next day with the things that I want to do. You can limit how much is put on your child's seapass card. I have done that with my grandchildren. Remember you cannot get into your cabin right away so if you bring any carry on's you will have to drag them with you. I would suggest your children wear bathing suits under their clothes as they may want to get right into the pools. Towels are provided on the pool deck. I try to only carry a small backpack with my camera, meds and wallet. If you intend to buy any ship pictures that will be applied to your seapass. The only cash I ever do on the ship is to tip room service or sometimes a bartender. But most of all - relax. You don't have to try to do everything. the Explorer is a great ship. Have you checked in online? Have you printed your setsail pass and luggage tags? I would show your sons pictures of the ship especially the kids pool area that you can find on this forum also show them the deck plans that you can find on Royal Caribbeans site. This may take some of the anxiety from them. Also I am sure I don't need to say this but try to keep any worry out of your voice when you talk about the cruise. The library on deck 7 is also a quiet place and I believe they have games there and if they still have a Viking Crown Lounge it is usually very quiet during the day. Not sure if this goes for all the ships but they have stopped making announcements constantly all day long. Enjoy

Once again, thank you for all your replies and taking the time to explain things. I have found your replies very helpful and feel a little less stressed about it. :)

Regarding tipping in the UK and Europe - as already mentioned it is not compulsory here. I have been to the US a couple of times so understand how tipping works there. Here in the UK tipping is totally optional, it is appreciated, but not expected. Personally, unless I have had a poor service or meal, then I like to leave a tip at a table service meal, usually around 10%. I do this in other European countries too. Some people don't tip at all, some less, some more - it's really your choice and servers aren't offended either way.

Edited by arendale1