Half Day In Venice Before Cruise

Regguy

Can anyone recommend something to do before boarding our cruise in the morning in Venice near the Santa Lucia Station? We will be arriving by overnight train at 08:30. We'll be staying in Venice after the cruise for a few days, so don't need to rush to any of the major attractions, but still would like to have a nice morning. We'll have luggage, so presumably will need to store it at the station. Anything involving the Vaporetto looks like it will get to be quite expensive -- there are 4 of us, and at 7 euro per trip or 20 euros for a day pass I'm not sure that makes much sense for a few hours. (Since we'll be getting on a cruise for several days, none of the multi-day passes that we'll want to use in Venice after the cruise will really work.) So, it seems to make sense to stay around the main station area if possible, and then after a few hours to collect our bags and work our way toward the Piazalle Roma.

Alternatively, we can get off the train in Mestre at 08:12, and spend some time there, and then simply take a land cab to the cruise around noon or one p.m. That might be most convenient, but I'm having a bit of difficulty finding resources for spending a half day in Mestre near the station.

as for Mestre vs Santa Lucia .... can you easily manage your luggage? The Venice train station is on the other side of the Grand Canal and there's a very large bridge to cross, the Calatrava. The steps are shallow which makes it a bit easier for dragging wheeled luggage but shallow also means more steps. If you walk a block you'll see another bridge ... fewer steps but they're deeper.

There is luggage storage at the Venice station, but it might be more convenient to use the storage at Piazzale Roma, on the other side of the Grand Canal. Left Luggage is next to a large parking garage and is also next to the People Mover entrance (monorail to the pier). Luggage storage adds up .... 6 or 7E per bag.

On my last trip, we sat in front of the train station and watched the world go by on the Grand Canal. It was a sunny day and we were tired so we sat on a loading dock kinda thing. It was fascinating to watch the various boats; whatever wheeled vehicle WE have, they have a boat version .... police, ambulance, mail delivery, fire, movers, even a limo. It was sunny warm day and we really enjoyed a relaxing few hours. It wouldn't cost you anything and you could keep your luggage with you. There are some nice cafes closeby as well.

photo of the Calatrava Bridge

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/top-tourist-mistakes-7.htm

Info on Mestre:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/mestre/mestre-marghera.htm

The Jewish Ghetto is very close to the train station. A lovely area and would be an interesting way to spend some time. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_ghetto.htm

Thanks very much. We will have two standard (non carry-on) suitcases and two shoulder carry-on size bags. Our plan was to leave the luggage at the train station, explore, and then figure out how to get the luggage to the Piazzale Roma and the people mover. I figured I would check out the bridge, and if it was too much work with the luggage, I'd take the vaporetto with the two big pieces of luggage and meet the family on the other side of the bridge. I've read that one stop on the boat if you take line 1 is discounted below the standard 7 euro.

Looks like 24 euro just to store the bags at the station, so it's already starting out to be an expensive day! Mestre surely would be easier, but I'm leaning toward Santa Lucia despite having the luggage for a couple of reasons. First, apparently, you're allowed to linger on the train a bit when it arrives at Santa Lucia, while at Mestre you have to be ready to go and hop off. So we'd have a more leisurely morning and probably could sleep in our compartment just a little bit later. Second, even though we'll have some time in Venice after our trip, the thought of passing up spending a bit of time before the cruise off the mainland sounds a bit too attractive to pass up.

The Jewish Ghetto sounds like a good idea -- we're staying on Giudecca after our cruise, so realistically that might be the only time we'll have a chance to explore up in that area. How is the area right near the train station? Are there services and food or cafes or anything if we just wanted to sit for a while until our ship opens?

yay, a light traveler. Unless you have mobility issues you'll be fine with the bridge. My mother was 80 and managed. Worse case scenario, someone can stay with the luggage while you make 2 trips, right ?

Left Luggage at St Lucia is 6e per bag for 5 hrs.

The area next to the train station is very nice (unlike in most cities) ..... cafes, shops, hotels. It's also relatively flat and smooth surfaced if you choose to bring your luggage.

Worse case scenario, someone can stay with the luggage while you make 2 trips, right ?

Ah -- very good. That should work. I think we'll pay the left luggage fee and just spend a couple of hours up around that part of the island and then bring our bags over the bridge.

From photos of the bridge, it sure does seem like it wouldn't be too much trouble to make it more like a ramp in parts -- maybe it's harder than it sounds, but if you just put like a 3 foot wide smooth triangle like piece on each step, it seems like you could accommodate rolling bags. Maybe the bridge is too steep or something. Or maybe the steps are already so shallow that this isn't needed. Obviously, I'm not the only one to think of this, and the fact that they spent a bunch of money installing a people mover for those with mobility issues, and it doesn't even work apparently, suggests that what I'm imagining just won't work. Probably should be happy they even have a bridge there, I guess.