Cabin Toiletries

bluebelle

Welcome to CC and congratulations on booking your first voyage, DadTheBigKid. What month will you be making your crossing?

Jimmybean

Hi JimmyBean,

sorry its taken a while to get back to you.

We sail 17th May 2016. We have 4 nights n New York then sail home :)

Cannot wait.

Do you cruise a lot

Yes i am from Brewster and leaving today on queen Mary 2 to head back home!! First time on canard very excited.

Let us know how you get on, our first cruise will be on the QM2.

We have nearly a year to wait but that gives us lots of time to research all the ins and outs of cruising with Cunard.

Have fun:)

Hi JimmyBean,

Cannot wait.

Do you cruise a lot

Hi JimmyBean,

Cannot wait.

Do you cruise a lot

Hello, again, DadTheBigKid!

DH (dear husband) and I typically cruise two to three times each year, because we see something that appeals to us with a price we find acceptable. We don't plan to take any specific number of cruises. It's always about the appeal (along with price) of a specific voyage.

Truth be told, I had a frightening airplane experience many years ago and for a long time only traveled in the continental United States and Canada by car. Then, we tried a short Caribbean cruise with friends, which was enjoyable. From this, we broadened our thinking to the possibility of using ships as transportation (to finally see some of Europe). We discovered the QM2 for our first crossing, then learned there were segments (at that time) of World Cruises, which allowed boarding and disembarking in the USA (without need of air travel).

Our favorite voyages have been on segments, when we truly settled-in and felt the QM2 and QE were are homes (for a while). Imagine the thrill of seeing Tierra del Fuego and visiting Tahiti for someone who avoids air-travel! Cunard has really enriched my life!

Over time, we have been transformed from people who avoided airplanes to people who want sea-travel, because we love to travel in ships. I understand that not everyone has the time for this approach. But, for those of us who do---it's lovely.

Onboard, DH and I read piles of books (Cunard has good libraries), go to the gym (well, that is mostly DH), attend daytime lectures (Insight Programs), enjoy some evening entertainment, see newly-released cinema, meet interesting people, circle the promenade deck many times, and, also, just generally relax. We have never, ever grown tired of gazing at the ocean.

We don't seek perfection sailing with Cunard. Our bed at home is more comfortable, but one makes adjustments when traveling. Some Cunarders want a luxury experience; DH and I are happy with a travel experience, if you understand. More than merely transportation, however, we do very much like shipboard life. We do love the QM2, best of all.

Each voyage is different, because one meets (or just observes) different people--has different dinner companions. Overall, all time we have spent on ships has been pleasant. We like seeing far-away ports, but favor itineraries that have a lot of sea days. There is plenty to do or it is fine to do very little--all while someone else cooks meals and makes the bed. What is not to love?

We have only once crossed in May (2014) and had no storms or untoward ship motion.

Please, DadTheBigKid, do use CC, as a source of information about NYC, if any is needed. There are a number of kind people on the Cunard board who live in New York and can provide very clear answers, if you have questions.

It is also so nice to share the excitement of an anticipated sailing on a CC roll-call, specific to your voyage. DH and I enjoy the anticipation of a cruise, beforehand, as much as discussing our memories afterwards.

I fully acknowledge there are flaws aboard the QM2 and things which really should be improved. I still love her. I love being within her structure and I love looking at her before boarding, or re-boarding, or disembarking. I also admit our fellow man (at close quarters) sometimes requires tolerance. ...All in all, notwithstanding any negatives, DH and I feel very fortunate to have been able to spend as much time at sea as we have…

I hope that is the way you will feel after your first crossing.

Jimmybean