Carry on luggage for Thomas Cook

Carter7568

Hi all

I have searched the forum and not found an answer to this.

You have the standard sizes for carry on and a weight of 5kg.

I have never been asked to put my baggage in the frame at check in.

How strict are Thomas Cook?

Do they make you put your bag in the frame and does it need to go in the frame freely?

The reason I ask is that I am taking some camera gear with me that might go overweight, so I will carry some in my pockets so I don't breach the weight requirement.

However the camera bag I am using is 29cm deep not 20cm Thomas Cook want.

If I was to push it in the frame and then pull it out would they allow that?

I can reload the bag when through check in.

What do people think?

Thanks for any replies.

To be honest it's not worth the risk. You can never be sure whether they will be strict or not .

We flew with Thomson in february and they weighed all suitcase and hand baggage. I also noticed they charged the lady at the next desk to me for overweight hand luggage ( heard her say £40 for shoes and jewellery so guess that's how much they charged her).

If the bag looks as though it exceeds any of the dimensions, or the weight allowance, then you could easily be asked to use the sizer. This could result in you having to pay to put your carry on bag in the hold, and I don't think you'd want your camera equipment going in the hold.

So I don't think it's worth the risk at all. Just conform to the rules and have a worry free flight. if you need a new and smaller camera bag, that's probably going to be worth the expense.

If the bag looks as though it exceeds any of the dimensions, or the weight allowance, then you could easily be asked to use the sizer. This could result in you having to pay to put your carry on bag in the hold, and I don't think you'd want your camera equipment going in the hold.

So I don't think it's worth the risk at all. Just conform to the rules and have a worry free flight. if you need a new and smaller camera bag, that's probably going to be worth the expense.

I agree, some people always try to bend the rules !

I was carrying a lot of camera gear in January when I flew to Buenos Aires to join Zaandam. There was no way I was going to risk my cameras and lenses going in the hold so printed off the bag size restrictions chart from the airlines website and went shopping. I found one that was the exact size of the hand bag allowed in addition to a cabin case. Once you have it it should be useable for any other fly cruises and well-worth the modest expense IMO.

Incidentally - it is also worth checking the size of cabin case allowed because I found most of those marked in the shops as "fits most airline cabin case sizes" didn't in fact match those for our airline (LAN) and were bigger!

Edited by Host Sharon

I was carrying a lot of camera gear in January when I flew to Buenos Aires to join Zaandam. There was no way I was going to risk my cameras and lenses going in the hold so printed off the bag size restrictions chart from the airlines website and went shopping. I found one that was the exact size of the hand bag allowed in addition to a cabin case. Once you have it it should be useable for any other fly cruises and well-worth the modest expense IMO.

Incidentally - it is also worth checking the size of cabin case allowed because I found most of those marked in the shops as "fits most airline cabin case sizes" didn't in fact match those for our airline (LAN) and were bigger!

Thanks everyone for the replies, I have now found a bag that will be ok and within the current Thomas Cook sizes.

What is interesting the tickets say weight limit of 5kg but Thomas Cook website now says 6kg?