Oriana currently running on one engine

Aim1

That's what the captain has just told them as they left Kusadasi‏.

My parents are on the ship at the moment. Captain also said it's nothing to worry about though, which is good!

They've not mentioned any of their itinerary changing so she's obviously still able to get where she needs to be at the speed she needs to be!

I wonder if this is anything to do with the engine fire I read about the other day? Think it was last month, might be wrong though.

Anyway, they are having a lovely time, staff and ship are wonderful, although they did say she's showing her age in some places.

:)

We sail on 27th May and have just been informed that there will be a container containing a temporary generator on deck 13 Sun Deck to enable them to carry out essential maintenance work.

We are assured the ship will be safe to travel on.

Edited by 103brandy

Important Notification

**Notification of maintenance work**

A container will be loaded on the port side of the sun deck (13) on 27th May. This is a temporary generator which is being installed in order for us to undertake some essential maintenance.

We have endeavoured to position this generator in a position that impacts our passengers as little as possible but it will mean a slight restriction of movement on the port side of the sun deck.

We can assure you that the addition of this generator does not have any impact on the safe operation of the ship.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding. We wish you a most enjoyable cruise with us.

I asked my parents if they were still on just one engine and they said no, back to full power now so they've obviously fixed whatever that issue was.

You must board when they leave, I'll ask them to make sure they keep her nice and tidy for you :D

Sorry but I really must contradict this. Oriana has four engines and the captain stated that number one engine was playing up so would be out of action. That left three engines still capable of operating, she was not running on one engine only. The fault was sorted in a couple of days and, apart from some increased vibration, passengers would not have been aware there was any difference. Yes, I was on the ship too. Sue

Sorry but I really must contradict this. Oriana has four engines and the captain stated that number one engine was playing up so would be out of action. That left three engines still capable of operating, she was not running on one engine only. The fault was sorted in a couple of days and, apart from some increased vibration, passengers would not have been aware there was any difference. Yes, I was on the ship too. Sue

Don't they normally refer to the four engines as "Mother & Daughter" and "Father & Son" due to their configuration and differences in size?

Yes they do, and the 'Father' engine was causing the problem so they changed to the 'Son'. During the interview with the captain he explained why switching caused more vibration but I'm affraid I couldn't repeat what he said as I didn't really understand it! However, my point was that Oriana was not running on just one engine. Also the generator was meant to be loaded for our cruise, but as it was very windy in Soton on the day we boarded it had to be postponed until the next cruise. Sue

We were on X509 and can confirm that there was a bit of a problem with vibration on a couple of occasions. However, the announcements about it were clear and the Captain gave a good explanaton of the problem. Apparently, because the father engine had to be shut down and switched over to the son engine, the switchover process often causes what they call "cavitation" in the propellor/prop shaft. I am not an expert but I think this is something to do with the propellor trying to "grab" its way into the water and the switchover necessarily requires some balancing between the two propellors. Interestingly, the Captain (very diplomatically) alluded to the fact that they had had some "poorer quality" fuel oil put in by Greece and I doubt that this will have helped the engines. Certainly there was a lot of black smoke for a time and some people on deck were covered in smuts.

To reassure those due to sail on Oriana, we had a wonderful cruise and the ship is still our favourite after many sailings on her. It is true that she is looking a little tired in some of the furnishings and fittings but it still has class and nothing beats the pre-dinner drink in Anderson's Bar. Whilst on board we booked again for later this year so Oriana can't be that bad!

I wasn't on the cruise, that's just what they told me. If they were told wrong, or repeated it to me wrong, I hold my hands up.

They LOVED the cruise and the ship, think they've been on it 2 or 3 times now, not sure how many cruises in total but it must be around 30 and all of them P&O.

They just said there are parts where she's showing her age a little, that's all.

Apologies if anyone thinks this post was a negative against P&O, it really wasn't intended to be!

I've been on 3 P&O cruises myself, but a long long time ago. (2 on the old Victoria and once on their original Arcadia, which is now sailing for P&O Australia I believe).

My husband works on cruise ship refits, he's currently in Singapore working on the Pacific Jewel. I read these boards quite a lot when he's away, I just thought I'd pass on the info.

Sorry to cause offence to anyone, I'll go hide away again now..... :o

I am not sure if it was my post yesterday that you felt was "getting at" you, Aim1 but I assure you this was not the case. I didn't read anything negative in your posts. Oriana is like old wine bottles; a bit faded and looking old but the contents are much better than younger, flashier wine bottles.

I am not sure if it was my post yesterday that you felt was "getting at" you, Aim1 but I assure you this was not the case. I didn't read anything negative in your posts. Oriana is like old wine bottles; a bit faded and looking old but the contents are much better than younger, flashier wine bottles.

Wine??? Oh, NOW we're talking!! :D