nevis ferry question

jean87510

Hi, we will be in st kitt in November and I was wondering if anyone can answer this. Since I have been here before, I wanted to try to go to nevis but was trying to avoid 1. cab fare to cockleshell or wherever the ferry takes off down there and 2. renting a car. I know there is a ferry near the port. My question is, is there usually a reliable ferry to take you BACK to the port and if so, roughly around what time? We are there from 7a to 5p. I looked online at the schedules and was a little confused as to where exactly the ferry goes back to FROM Nevis. Do they all go back to cockleshell area or do they go back to Port Zante? There are six of us and I really don't feel like paying $600 to go on a catamaran with dozens of people nor do I want to pay a fortune for a tour. I would like to explore Nevis just to see what it is like but I do not want to miss the ship.

There are passenger ferries that depart from the ferry terminal in Basseterre. It is located about a 10 min walk from the cruise ship port. The passenger ferries go between Basseterre & Charlestown in Nevis. The ferry dock in Nevis is a block from the center of Charlestown. The other ferry that you refer to is the Sea Bridge Ferry. It takes vehicles as well as passengers. It leaves from Majors Bay in St Kitts and goes to Cades Bay in Nevis.

There are passenger ferries that depart from the ferry terminal in Basseterre. It is located about a 10 min walk from the cruise ship port. The passenger ferries go between Basseterre & Charlestown in Nevis. The ferry dock in Nevis is a block from the center of Charlestown. The other ferry that you refer to is the Sea Bridge Ferry. It takes vehicles as well as passengers. It leaves from Majors Bay in St Kitts and goes to Cades Bay in Nevis.

Now I understand. Thanks!!

Your ship is the only one in port on your stop in St Kitts on November 4th. You really would only have a few hours in Nevis if you took the 9:30 AM ferry over and would have to catch the 1 PM ferry back to St Kitts. It is a 45 min ride each way. It is a short time but I would go for it. Nevis is very special.

Paul58....looks like you have been to St. Kitts and the Shipwreck Bar...can you tell me if getting into the water is rocky? How about the sand..Do you know how much a cab would be to get there from the port. How far from Carabola resort??Thanks

You can go to http://www.nevisisland.com to find an up-to-date ferry schedule. Click on arriving by sea. It actually runs very frequently as there are at least three ships going back and forth at this time. I am not sure if they run less frequently in the winter. Please post a review of Nevis if you can as I am planning on going there in December. Thanks

Edited by briceand4
More information

I do frequent Shipwreck but have not been in the water there for years. Carambola & Shipwreck are on the same beach-South Friars, but at opposite ends. We have a rental car when we are there but a cab ride there should only be about $12-15 each way from Port Zante

Paul58....looks like you have been to St. Kitts and the Shipwreck Bar...can you tell me if getting into the water is rocky? How about the sand..Do you know how much a cab would be to get there from the port. How far from Carabola resort??Thanks

Cab ride to Shipwreck or Carambola should be about $4 pp and the ride is about 15 mins. for the port. The sand at Shipwreck is black volcanic sand. I had my water shoes on when I walked down to Shipwreck from Carambola and do recall some rocks in the water at Shipwreck. The walk on the beach from Carambola to Shipwreck was about 20 mins and guessing the cab ride between both would be about 5 mins. since they are on the same beach.