sharing drink package, thoughts?

I have to laugh when I see posters say that cheating on the beverage packages will cause the price to rise.

Vendors do a lot of research to price their wares appropriately. Too low and you lose money; too high and you've priced yourself out of the market. It would take a lot of sharing to cause a loss in revenue large enough to offset the loss from fewer people buying the package. Those $14 drinks probably cost the cruise lines less than $2. Even adding on overhead and the princely salaries they pay wait staff and bartenders, the profit is very nice.

FTR, we don't purchase a beverage package and never intend to so I'm not trying to justify sharing.

I'm not saying you don't have cause for complaints. A sudden unexplained price increase is always cause for concern and investigation / discussion. I guess my (badly made) point is that whilst such drinks are comparatively expensive elsewhere people from those markets will not find Royals prices as objectionable and so will continue to cruise with the line and purchase drinks. I've always expected to be price gouged at any venue that has a captive audience and / or a monopoly. I pay stupidly high prices if I wish to eat or drink inside the stadium at a rugby match compared to the prices of the same products outside. I expect that and choose my actions accordingly. My chosen actions however will never include deliberately flouting the agreement I enter in to when purchasing a ticket. My other point was that I'm really looking forward to traveling in the US where it appears that everything is really inexpensive :-)

It depends on what part you are traveling to in the US. :D

In our 8 weeks in Australia in 2013 it was our dollar that was down, I think something like $1 USD was around 90-92 cents AUD or so.

Sorry for momentarily hijacking the thread, just love Australia and hope you have a great time in whatever part of the US you will be traveling to. :)